zezima
Nimbus328

absolute truth

zezima

zezima

Pro

Absolute truth exist. A truth that is true at all times. It could be true even though people don't believe it.
Nimbus328

Con

Morality is relative to the observer. There is no fixed morality, it is only in the context of the culture.

For a primal tribe of savages, it is moral and correct for 30+ men to murder and pillage neighboring tribes.

Under American Law, it is illegal for 30+ men to travel to Vegas to murder and pillage.

The question is, what defines morality?

If you talk about homosexual behavior in the context of the Middle East, the death penalty is in effect.

If you talk about homosexual behavior in the context of the Canada, gay marriage is allowed.
Suppose a culture thought yeast was evil. Not just person X and person Y, but the entire culture.

True story.
zezima

Pro

zezima forfeited this round.
Nimbus328

Con

This will be a very long debate if my opponent forfeits four out of five rounds. I cordially request that my opponent respond to my point in Round #1.
zezima

Pro

Is everything you said absolutely true?
If absolute truth doesn"t exist, that means you don"t know anything for sure, meaning you don"t know anything. Can you know something for sure? With absolute truth you can, but without it you cant.
I can say everything you said is not true and you have no argument because you admitted you can know nothing for sure. If you didn"t admit this please explain to me how you can know something for sure.
You making this statement mean that you believe in absolute truth if you believe what you are saying is true. If you admit your wrong, then the debate is over. Please explain how everything you said is true without knowing if it is true.
Nimbus328

Con

"There is no absolute truth. And that is the absolute truth."

The above statement is logically unsound, and is discarded out of hand.

"There is no absolute truth. And I am fairly certain that this is the case."

This is a more accurate description of my position.

In Round #1 there was an argument from morality for Con, which my opponent did not respond to. This is a major point.
zezima

Pro

That is not what I"m saying. That is what you are saying. You are claiming there is no absolute truth and for you to say that is true, it has to be absolutely true, or you are not sure what you are debating.
So overall, I"m saying there is absolute truth and you are saying there might not be absolute truth.

//"There is no absolute truth. And I am fairly certain that this is the case."//

//This is a more accurate description of my position.//
Are you absolutely sure that is what you are saying?
You see, without absolute truth we know nothing, and we don"t even know what we are thinking.

Now for morality. Now none of these things prove or disprove absolute truth. We are not talking about morality. Morality is an opinion, without God.
Now please explain to me how you can know something for certain without absolute truth?
Nimbus328

Con

This debate has degenerated into semantics.

Is the absolute truth to say that there is no absolute truth? Let's go at this another way.

Stating that there are no unicorns does not create a unicorn. The same logic applies to the statement that there is no absolute truth. This does not create a truth, it points out the absence of truth.
zezima

Pro

Is it absolutely true that it doesn't create a truth? Is it absolutely true that it is the absence of a truth?
Your only idea that it can't exist is because of moral reasons. You have no argument and haven't come up with anything that shows absolute truth can't exists.
Nimbus328

Con

People still argue against the idea of "no absolute truth" so of course it is not an absolute truth. I think it's true, but you don't.
Posted by rocketRF 3 years ago
rocketRF
a wholesome tongue makes it truth.
even in logic morals should be sound.

it isnt sound to kill reguardless of questioning what morals are.

take the cannibal warlords of liberia for example.
Posted by SinNoMore 3 years ago
SinNoMore
The debate is on absolute truth, not morality. But this is one topic that I have deep convictions about. I vehemently disagree with the people who say "That's true for you but not true for me."
Posted by xXCryptoXx 3 years ago
xXCryptoXx
I do like the concept of your debate. I might have to look in to it.
Vote Placed by KingDebater 3 years ago
KingDebater
zezimaNimbus328Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made an argument that wasn't refuted.