Aalia
dsjpk5

advertisement leads to rise in economy

dsjpk5
Started: 6/18/2015 Category: Economics

Aalia

Pro

Why do most people prefer Coca-Cola to some other cola? Why do some people prefer Calvin Klein underwear to
some other unadvertised brand? Are the advertised products functionally better? Not necessarily. But, in the mind
of the consumer, advertising has given these brands added value.
In the mid-1960s, a famous psychologist named Ernest Dichter asserted that a product"s image, created in
part by advertising and promotion, is an inherent feature of the product itself. Subsequent
studies showed that while an ad may not address a product"s quality directly, the positive image conveyed by
advertising may imply quality. Moreover, by simply making the product better known, advertising can make the
product more desirable to the consumer. In these ways, advertising adds value to the brand. That"s why people
pay more for Bufferin than an unadvertised brand displayed right next to it"even though all buffered aspirin, by
law, is functionally the same.
Advertising also adds value to a brand by educating customers about new uses for a product. Kleenex was
originally advertised as a makeup remover, later as a disposable handkerchief. AT&T first promoted the telephone
as a necessity and later as a convenience.
One advantage of the free-market system is that consumers can choose the values they want in the products
they buy. If, for example, low price is important, they can buy an inexpensive economy car. If status and luxury
are important, they can buy a fancy sedan or racy sports car. Many of our wants are emotional, social, or
psychological rather than functional. One way we communicate who we are (or want to be) is through the
products we purchase and display. By associating the product with some desirable image, advertising offers
people the opportunity to satisfy those psychic or symbolic wants and needs.
In terms of our economic framework, by adding value to products, advertising contributes to self-interest"for
both the consumer and the advertiser. It also contributes to the number of sellers. That increases competition,
which also serves the consumer"s self-interest.
dsjpk5

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for creating this debate.

PLAGIARISM

My opponent plagiarized his/her entire first round argument from the following source:

http://highered.mheducation.com...

I ask the voters to consider this when voting.
Aalia

Pro

Aalia forfeited this round.
dsjpk5

Con

My opponent has forfeited this round. I ask the voters to consider this when voting.
Aalia

Pro

Aalia forfeited this round.
dsjpk5

Con

Apparently my opponent is forfeiting this debate.
Aalia

Pro

Aalia forfeited this round.
dsjpk5

Con

Like I said...
Aalia

Pro

Aalia forfeited this round.
dsjpk5

Con

Since my opponent didn't actually make an argument of his own, I have nothing to refute. So I will now offer my on arguments:

Contention: Since advertising is unfairly accessible to the rich, it only benefits them, not the entire economy.

Advertising is bad because it's unfair. It is a manipulative way of persuasion that is only available to the rich. If everybody had equal access to the creation of advertising, it wouldn't be unfair, but that's not the case. [1]

1. http://lifehacker.com...
Vote Placed by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
Aaliadsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FF, plagiarism, no case ... And con came ahead in research effectively using a source to undermine the case offered by pro, which then went unchallenged.