after xi jinping assumes presidentship in china will the chinese-american relations become stronger

en he assumes the presidency in March, Xi will not rule alone. He"s a member of the Standing Committee of the Politburo, the country"s top leadership body. "The No. 1 leader has some initiative and power. But he is a first among equals and has a lot of restraints," says Cheng Li, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution and an expert on the politics of China"s elite. "Their power is far less than the power of the U.S. president."

The seven- to nine-member Standing Committee of the Politburo came into being in 1956, seven years after the founding of the People"s Republic of China. Officially, Standing Committee members are selected by a vote of the Central Committee. In reality they are picked in backroom negotiations among outgoing members and a few select party elders, former President Jiang Zemin being paramount among them this time, says Robert Kuhn, author of a biography of Jiang and more recently, How China"s Leaders Think.

The late Deng Xiaoping exerted tight control over who was selected. It was Deng who chose Hu Jintao, the current party secretary and president, who has disappointed reform-minded Chinese by slowing economic change. Xi is Jiang"s choice, and Li Keqiang, the next likely premier, is Hu"s. "The process of succession remains very opaque," says Jean-Pierre Cabestan, head of the department of government and international studies at Hong Kong Baptist University. "So that of course opens the gate to all kinds of speculation"we are all in the dark."

Until Mao and Deng, the committee took its cues from one leader. Jiang, too, exerted an outsize influence on the body from 1987 to 2002, serving as general secretary and then later adding the presidency. Still, his power never matched Deng"s, says Orville Schell, director of the Asia Society"s Center on U.S.-China Relations in New York. The top leaders moved toward their present model"what Schell calls leadership by committee"partly in reaction to the excesses of the Mao era. Nobody wanted another Cultural Revolution or Great Leap Forward. The committee also evolved because there weren"t leaders with the vision or ego to take charge, says Schell.

Let me set this straight. Since my opponent has not clearly defined debate parameters, I will do so here.
My opponent has the burden of proving that Xi Jin Ping will, without a doubt, improve Chinese-American relations. I am contending against this.
I will first establish my argument:
Whether Xi Jin Ping will improve chinese-american relations or not is unclear. My opponent says: [Xi] has lots of restraints..power is far less than the power of the U.S. President."
His lack of power, as described by my opponent, has little bearings in supporting my opponent's case. Let's look at it this way: Most of the 1 billion people in China have less power than the President of the USA. So? What does this have to do with international relationships? Furthermore, if Xi Jin Ping has little or no power, then my opponent's statement works against him: China will remain exactly the same. Xi, if he has no power, how can you expect him to effect any change? Here, my opponent does not establish Xi's positive influence towards Chinese-American relations in ANY way (conversely, he has harmed himself with this contention).

The following statement revolving around the process of selection is also completely irrelevant to whether or not Xi will improve relations between China and the US. I will refer back to my original statement: If those already in power are in control of the presidency position, then there is, in reality, no change in policy, enactment, whatsoever. Even if relations DO improve, it would be accredited to the string-pullers behind Xi and has little to do with Xi himself.
Again, no clear case/evidence is being provided.

"The process of succession remains very opaque," says Jean-Pierre Cabestan, head of the department of government and international studies at Hong Kong Baptist University. "So that of course opens the gate to all kinds of speculation"we are all in the dark."
This quote, by my opponent, clearly negates his topic: "after xi jinping assumes presidentship in china will the chinese-american relations become stronger"
I think my opponent is guilty of misinterpreting the quote. I read it as something along the lines of: The process of succession into presidency remains unclear... we are in the dark, as in, we are confused or have no knowledge/premonitory intuition as to the future under Xi.
Prove me wrong with a more logical interpretation.
All that final mumbo jumbo about the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution is also irrelevant. Instead of negating it from the start, I'd like to allow my opponent to explain how this relates to the improving of chinese-american relations.
In fact, I'd like my opponent to try to establish any of the things he has said as being related to this. So far there is nothing at all. I'm also open to giving my opponent leeway to establish more solid cases/evidence.
Good Luck

amey forfeited this round.

I will not forward any new cases and extend all my negations.

amey forfeited this round.

mt0203 forfeited this round.

Xi Jinping is portrayed as knowing America because of his trip to Iowa in 1985 during which he stayed with an American family, and some Wikileaks reports that revealed him as a Hollywood film fan, and a daughter who reportedly attends Harvard University.

It seems rather superficial to assume these items and preferences indicate Xi will be friendlier towards the United States than his predecessor. However, as of now, there doesn't seem to be any reason to think China's attitude will turn aggressive once Xi assumes power.

In reality, although Xi offers a change of face in the Chinese leadership, U.S.-China relations are not about to undergo any dramatics changes.

I agree that Xi's policy toward the U.S. will be stable and continuous with little personal style. The basic structure of Sino-U.S. relations is quite stable. The new leadership in China cannot change such a structure, said Professor Song.

Xi appears determined to continue and even improve President Hu's legacy when it comes to keeping Sino-American relations steady, at the very least for the sake of business.

In a meeting with businessmen, Xi stressed that relations between the two powers were an unstoppable river that keeps surging ahead despite twists and turns, (AFP) reported.

The economic ties between the U.S. and China are overwhelming and paramount. Total trade between the two powers amounts to almost $500 billion. China is now the U.S.'s second largest trading partner.

Neither country -- China still growing, while the United States tries to recover -- can afford to have Sino-American relations severely damaged.

Fortunately, Xi Jinping has been demonstrating a commitment to the status quo during his visit, stressing greater cooperation and respect between the two powers.

Since my first period class starts in 7 minutes and will last for 2 hours.. this 1 hour 23 minute time remaining means that I only have 7 minutes to type this. You should have given at least a day.. geez.
I don't even feel like sifting through this pile of words, but here goes:
First: Plagiarism. This last round is rife with it.
Second: Some of the plagiarized text echo what I was trying to point out. My opponent has not forwarded any argument in his favor and has, instead, copied text from in hopes of it sufficing in winning him this debate.
Third: Read the last round I posted to for reference to the problems in many of the statements toward the statement in support of the growth of sino-american relations. These statements cannot be taken as absolute evidence and are, therefore, invalid.
My opponent has failed to prove Xi will, without a doubt, improve Sino-American relations.
Posted by mt0203 3 years ago
Xi says: I want to maximize foreign relations. How he is going to do so, none can tell. It's like saying: We are going to maximize our efforts towards peace. This rabble has been going on for several decades.. professing a goal that is not being seriously reckoned with.. all words, no solid action.
Posted by amey 3 years ago
no xi is for foreign relations
Posted by Mutineer 3 years ago
Of course not.

Xi Jinping is against foreign relations.