natoast
Alimination

agosticism is more logical than atheism

natoast

Pro

It seems like a lot of people consider agnosticism and atheism to be about the same thing, especially theists, so I thought this debate might help with that.
I will be supporting the idea that agnosticism is more logical then atheism, con will be supporting the idea that atheism is more logical then agnosticism. Shared BoP.

Some definition:

atheism- The belief in the nonexistence of a deity or higher power.

agnosticism- The belief that currently, the ultimate nature of the universe (god or not) is unknowable.

logical- Standing up best to reason, most likely.

first round is acceptance.
Alimination

Con

Remember, atheists do not THINK there is no God. They have NO BELIEF in God. There is an important difference there. Certainty is not an aspect of atheism. Atheists hold, at least to the best of my knowledge, that we lack a belief in a god or deity because there is no evidence to suggest there being one.

Belief requires proof for all skeptics, including atheists. The fact that there is a God is unknowable for a certainty, but there has been no logical grounds to support the existence of one, therefore all atheists stick to the default position which is no belief in a deity whatsoever.

Atheism is more logical than agnosticism because the latter ideology rests on the premise that since we are uncertain of the existence of God, we cannot make a conclusion unless we are certain. Atheism ISN'T a conclusion, but the lack thereof. The burden of proof is on the theists who claim that there is a god. There has been no rational argument or demonstrably sound conclusion supporting the existence of God, therefore, we don't subscribe to the ideology by having no belief in it at all.
natoast

Pro

natoast forfeited this round.
Alimination

Con

Agnosticism does not make sense. I see that you are uncertain, but you cannot take a position such as "I do not know" and give validity to all possible viewpoints. Are you also agnostic about the tooth fairy? Easter bunny? Santa?
natoast

Pro

natoast forfeited this round.
Alimination

Con

Alimination forfeited this round.
natoast

Pro

Sorry about the forfeit, but something came up and I couldn't get to a computer. Would you mind starting it over? I'm able to do it now.
Alimination

Con

Alimination forfeited this round.
Posted by Alimination 4 years ago
Alimination
Pro argues that atheists BELIEVE that God does not exist. That contradicts the word, atheists have no belief concerning a deity whatsoever.
Posted by bladerunner060 4 years ago
bladerunner060
It seems unfair of con to take the debate, then try to change definition in R1; what Pro proposes as a definition of "atheism" is more properly and generally known as "hard atheism" or explicit atheism, but it's not like it's not atheism at all.
Posted by philochristos 4 years ago
philochristos
Phantom, you seem to think epistemological certainty is necessary for knowledge, and if you lack certainty about God's existence or non-existence, then you don't know it. But I don't think that's how most people use "knowledge" in their every day lives. I think people usually use "knowledge" the same way philosophers typically define it, namely, as justified true belief.
Posted by bladerunner060 4 years ago
bladerunner060
But wouldn't agnosticism generally be an implicit atheism, as in general if you can't confirm the existence of something you assume the null position?
Posted by phantom 4 years ago
phantom
Hardly anyone thinks they know if God exists or not. I believe God probably doesn't exist. I don't claim to know he doesn't exist though. Even most New Atheists don't claim to know that God doesn't exist.

Unless you mean a different type of "knowledge"?
Vote Placed by johnlubba 4 years ago
johnlubba
natoastAliminationTied