RacH3ll3
rougeagent21

alcohol should be banned

RacH3ll3

RacH3ll3

Pro

Hello. I thought this would be a good debate to try.
Definitions:
alcohol: intoxicating liquor.
banned: to prohibit or forbid.

I think alcohol should be banned for many reasons:

1) only one or two drinks can impair your judgement and coordination needed to safely operate a car. some short term effects of alcohol are reduced inhibitions, loss of muscle control, memory loss or blackouts, nausea, vomiting, headaches, hangovers, and stupor (which is acting seriously disoriented and confused). The longer a person abuses alcohol the closer they get to becoming an alcoholic, which is a person addicted to intoxicated drinks.
http://ezinearticles.com...
2) long term effects of alcohol can include: liver cancer, women who drink increase their risk of breast cancer, memory loss, stroke, heart disease, changes in physical appearance, diabetes, and much more.
http://www.infoscotland.com...;

why would anyone want to drink alcohol and get drunk for a while, when these effects can hurt you for a long time, and possibly, forever?

that was my argument and I have many more. I can't wait to see who my opponent is!
rougeagent21

Con

Well, thank you for starting this debate. I will address your points, and then move on to my own.

My opponent says that a few drinks can impair your judgment and coordination. This is why you are not allowed to drink it before driving! Aspirin can do the same thing-IF YOU HAVE TOO MUCH OF IT. This example is due to a lack of responsibility on the drinker's part. Just because you have a quick drink does not mean you will get drunk.

She also says in her second point that there are long term effects of alcohol are harmful. While this can be true in cases where people consistently get drunk, it can happen with ANY overdose of ANYTHING. When drunken responsibly, alcohol can actually be beneficial to the body.

I apologize, I will post my arguments in round 2 due to time.

http://www.cato.org...
RacH3ll3

Pro

okay thank you for round one, I look forward to hearing your arguments in round two.

just a couple of facts:
1) Drunken individuals are four times more likely to lose their temper and six times more likely to commit an act of violence. Alcohol is the major cause in thousands of suicides and murders each year. 27% of drivers under 21 reported that they drove drunk at least once last year. In 2001, there were 1482 alcohol related deaths of college students in the united states.
These numbers would go down if we banned alcohol.
https://mis.spps.org...

2) 40% of child maltreatment involves the parent abusing alcohol.
http://www.childabuse.com...
not only can the child be abused, but the spouse of the abuser can be abused, too. I know this personally. I don't live with my mother, but she and her boyfriend live together. He is an alcoholic, and every time he drinks, if he is mad at my mom, he becomes aggressive and throws things at her. This would not be happening to innocent people if there was no alcohol!

These are percentages for wet county vs. dry county. There is 110% more crime in wet counties.

122% more murder in wet
96% more rape in wet
326% more robberies in wet
127% more aggravated assault in wet
61% more burglaries in wet
29% more thefts in wet
86% more motor vehicle thefts in wet
205% more arson in wet
142% more negligent manslaughter in wet
27% more simple assault in wet
120% more stolen property in wet
92% more vandalism in wet
90% more weapons violations in wet
29% more DUI's in wet
106% more drunkenness in wet

http://drysharpcounty.org...

Thank you again and I look forward to hearing your next round!
rougeagent21

Con

Alright then, lets get started.

All of my attacks on my opponent's case have remained untouched. Until she says otherwise, I can only assume that she agrees with me. I will now further my own case.

Contention 1- Prohibition was a miserable failure.
I will not go into detail here, as it would take up all of my characters to tell why prohibition has failed so. Please see my source for more on this topic.

Contention 2- The banishment of alchohol created crime
During the 1920s, the US tried to ban alchohol. This did several things. Create organized crime, and actually increase the number of drunkards, as well as destroy the ecomony. Alchohol produces revenue, jobs, as well as good 'ol free time. It works like gun rights. When they are prohibited, everyone wants one. By banning alchohol we would create a second mafia, further inhibit our economy, as well as increase crime rates. For these reasons I can only negate the resolution. Thank you.

http://www.cato.org...
RacH3ll3

Pro

All of my attacks on my opponent's case have remained untouched. Until she says otherwise, I can only assume that she agrees with me. I will now further my own case."
no, I do not agree with you. And here's why:

"My opponent says that a few drinks can impair your judgment and coordination. This is why you are not allowed to drink it before driving! Aspirin can do the same thing-IF YOU HAVE TOO MUCH OF IT. This example is due to a lack of responsibility on the drinker's part. Just because you have a quick drink does not mean you will get drunk."
You may not be allowed to drink before driving, but that doesn't stop anybody. If we didn't have alcohol for sale, the risk would be lowered.

"She also says in her second point that there are long term effects of alcohol are harmful. While this can be true in cases where people consistently get drunk, it can happen with ANY overdose of ANYTHING. When drunken responsibly, alcohol can actually be beneficial to the body."
Yes, and that is why it is illegal to overdose on drugs, and in some cases, illegal to even take the drug. However, it is not illegal to be drunk, so why is it illegal to take pills? (like I said, in some cases). And he did not show proof how alcohol is beneficial to the body.

My opponent did not attack my arguments in round two, so I will move on to attacking his arguments.

" Prohibition was a miserable failure.
I will not go into detail here, as it would take up all of my characters to tell why prohibition has failed so. Please see my source for more on this topic."
The year prohibition began, deaths from alcohol dropped.
If we slowly move each county from a wet county to a dry county, there would be less problems with the people because it would be like we were "weaning" them off of alcohol.

"During the 1920s, the US tried to ban alcohol. This did several things. Create organized crime, and actually increase the number of drunkards, as well as destroy the ecomony. Alchohol produces revenue, jobs, as well as good 'ol free time. It works like gun rights. When they are prohibited, everyone wants one. By banning alchohol we would create a second mafia, further inhibit our economy, as well as increase crime rates."
There are protests everywhere. Yes, it may make people mad, but they will (in time) get over it. It may not help us out today, but if alcohol is virtually no where to be found in, say, about fifty years, our kids will live a better life. I am not saying it will take fifty years, but however much amount of time it takes to get rid of beer, it will make life better, for some people more than others. In my last round, did you see the wet vs. dry argument? That proves that places that are restricted to sale beer do better. And for the "good 'ol free time", it is sad that you have to amount to beer to make you have a good time. You can easily have a "good time" inviting friends over and watching football or something.

my arguments:

1) People who drink just one beer are more likely to keep drinking, thus making them drunk. When "drunkards" go out places with their family, it is embarrassing for the family, because the drunk person is stumbling everywhere, they don't understand what they are talking about, they yell, they cause trouble and may pick fights, and they do embarrassing things. Why do family members need to suffer for the drunk person's stupidity?

2) Drinking wastes your money. It ranges place to place, but for the majority, it cost around $8 to $12 just for a twelve pack of beer. *in some cases, it may be higher, I was just giving an estimate based on my research.* Let's say you drink about two beers every Saturday, just for a "good 'ol time". If you drink two beers a week every week for a year, your total that you have spent on beer is: $312. That doesn't seem like that much, but what about the people who get drunk once a week? That is a total of: $624. Talk about a waste of money! And people who really want a beer will go far measures to get one, including stealing from family members and strangers, stealing from the store, begging people for money, and pawning expensive stuff. (again, know from experience from mom's boyfriend)
(These estimates are based on one beer= $3 and one pack = $12.)

3) drinking and driving. If beer was illegal, it would be less likely to happen, especially in teenagers. In 2006, there were 13,470 fatalities in crashes involving an alcohol-impaired driver – 32 percent of total traffic fatalities for the year. 16,005 people were killed in the United States in alcohol-related motor vehicle traffic crashes.
http://www.alcoholalert.com...

* I would just like to add something. In argument 2, I was talking about how much one beer cost. Really, how much does one beer cost?
Is it a...
$150 impound fee? (if you are drinking and driving)
$500 bond release (you get thrown in jail easily when drinking)
$125 tow fee? (somebody's got to move the car)
$5000 DWI lawyer?
man, this seems like a lot of money for just beer!*
READ THE WHOLE STORY ON...
http://lawdogbehindthebadge.blogspot.com...

This was a fun debate, and I hope my opponent liked it, too. Thank you, opponent for accepting this debate.

Rachelle
rougeagent21

Con

rougeagent21 forfeited this round.
Posted by Rumsy 4 years ago
Rumsy
I also would have voted for CON.
It seems most of PRO's closing arguments were either based on speculation, or personal experience.

"The year prohibition began, deaths from alcohol dropped."
I would like statistics for statements such as this.

"When drunken responsibly, alcohol can actually be beneficial to the body."
As I know this to be true, it could of also been backed by some sort of source.
Ex. http://cei.org...
Posted by rougeagent21 5 years ago
rougeagent21
I guess people don't remember what actually happened. Oh well, maybe next time. Could you guys post RFDs please? Thanks.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 5 years ago
I-am-a-panda
'Tis called Prohibition. It failed. 'Nuff said.
Posted by rougeagent21 5 years ago
rougeagent21
Agreed. Thanks anyway :)
Posted by wjmelements 5 years ago
wjmelements
"I would just like to add something. In argument 2, I was talking about how much one beer cost. Really, how much does one beer cost?
Is it a..."

This is absurd. The costs of criminal acts are not the costs of a beer. Most people drink responsibly. There are only a few exceptions and they do not outweigh the benefits of the whole or the liberty removed by banning it.
Posted by wjmelements 5 years ago
wjmelements
I agree with CON, but I was not able to vote...
Posted by rougeagent21 5 years ago
rougeagent21
Exactly.
Posted by girlforgod21 5 years ago
girlforgod21
Alcohol is dangerous, when used irresponsibly. However, trying to ban it will only anger people, like it did when they tried to ban alcohol during the Prohibition. Drinking is a personal choice - no one is forced to drink. Just because the option is there does not mean you have to.
Posted by RacH3ll3 5 years ago
RacH3ll3
i know but that is kind of sad...
Posted by Nik 5 years ago
Nik
Alcohol is too deeply embedded in human culture to ever be effectively and completely abolished. St.Patricks day, Oktoberfest, and many more. These internationally popular festivals, historically aligned with copious amount of binging is tribute to this.
Vote Placed by jl153 5 years ago
jl153
RacH3ll3rougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by RacH3ll3 5 years ago
RacH3ll3
RacH3ll3rougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by TFranklin62 5 years ago
TFranklin62
RacH3ll3rougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by wlola_23 5 years ago
wlola_23
RacH3ll3rougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by guitarhero3lover 5 years ago
guitarhero3lover
RacH3ll3rougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by Riley09 5 years ago
Riley09
RacH3ll3rougeagent21Tied
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 5 years ago
rougeagent21
RacH3ll3rougeagent21Tied