fo-shizzle0855
Bricheze

americas weight probem is only getting worse

fo-shizzle0855

fo-shizzle0855

Pro

this argument is hard to be proven wrong. this argument probably wont be taken, but its up for grabs just in case. i will rebute my opponents arguments, if he/she will accept
Bricheze

Con

I believe that the weight problem over time is being fixed. It seems bad now, but it is getting better. We are treating it as a psychological problem and creating weight rehabs for those who have this problem. We have medical treatments, and ever day I swear I see less and less obese people. It is obviously not popular to be overly skinny or fat anymore and with this peer pressure comes the decreased amount of over weight people.

I believe in the future of America, I believe that we will continue to become greater, and eventually we will defeat obesity. It may be getting worse, but over a larger span of time I know that it will get better. So in that sense, it is getting better, and eventually it will be.
fo-shizzle0855

Pro

I would have to disagree. I don't believe the weight problem will be fixed over time, as it has not in the past.
I will provide some results given www.obesityinamerica.org
'Approximately 62 percent of female Americans are considered overweight65'
'Approximately 67 percent of male Americans are considered overweight66'

MY OPPONENT: "It seems bad now, but it is getting better."
I really find this hard to believe as i see obesity grow around us everywhere. I will prove this by giving a few examples.
1. A box of 12 'ding dongs' = $2.50
One health bar=$5.00
2. Food is everywhere - beaming from roadsides, advertised on television, screaming in bright colors from grocery store shelves, glowing in vending machines down the hall from your cubicle.
3. exercise has almost been reduced from society. Why run when you can get somewhere just as easily by driving?
4. for entertainment, all anybody has to do it gaze into a television screen now. There is not as many motivating factors in society for these people as much as there has been in the past.

The popularity issue doesn't help much either. There self-esteem is hurt when they are made fun of, but that often just makes it worse. people who are criticized usually don't do anything to help it.
for example: If you tell an emo person not to jump off a cliff, what are they going to do? They will probably explore their options. They think that life is hard and will only get worse for them. Their problems will probably increase rather than decrease.
Same with obesity. Why should they stop and try to help their problem when it is EASIER to not do so? Would someone go jog a mile, because someone called them a profain name? or would it be easier to eat away the stress of their problems?
MEDICAL TREATMENTS- Medical treatments such as liposuction, Do not help obesity problems. It simply takes away the fat they already have, but their problem won't vanish with their fat. 46% of liposuction patients, grow obese again within the next five years.
I believe that obesity is a growing factor in america, and given our condition, it will only get worse.
In this i strongly urge you to vote pro.
Bricheze

Con

Have you proved your side? I really don't think you have.

1. The price of food does not prove anything. The price o food going down is a good thing, that is good for our economy. If the price of donuts goes down; it is because all the prices of food is going down. The cheaper are food is the better our economy is.

2.Food is the one thing--either then water and shelter, that we all need. A large percentage of our income goes towards it and thusly it would have more people selling food, it is a market that can not fail. And if more people are selling it more people are advertising it.

3. For the convenience of speed, so you can spend as much time at home with your family before you go to work, or as much time sleeping before you have to get ready. Running isn't just having the willingness to get to your car earlier, it is having the willingness to get up an hour earlier.

4. And on the tv people are told to excercise and do other things like that. On nickelodeon it even asks children every hour or so to 'get out and do something'

These four things do not prove that obesity will ever be solved.

Medical treatment-- surprisingly I did not mean medical treatment as just liposuction. You can now go to a real 'food' rehab if the need arises. You can also have your stomach size reduced, which in turn stops your from eating more; instead of just removing some of the side-effects; it gets to the root of the problem.

Now that I have debunked any of your evidence that will 'prove' obesity is unsolvable, and the 'pro' side must prove their side, I submit to the voters that it is impossible to know that obesity will never be solved, and that it is truly growing worse. Therefore I urge you not to vote pro.
fo-shizzle0855

Pro

FOOD- ok first of all the price of food has to do with everything. The less the junk food costs, the more people will but it. The more the healthy food costs the less people will buy it. MY OPPONENT-- " The cheaper our food is the better our economy is."
Ok so I thought we were debating "Americas weight problem is only getting worse" not "food pricing being lowered betters our economy"
economy and weight problems, in this case don't correlate at all.

MY OPPONENT--"2.Food is the one thing--either then water and shelter, that we all need. A large percentage of our income goes towards it and thusly it would have more people selling food, it is a market that can not fail. And if more people are selling it more people are advertising it."

I really don't see where your going with this. yes we all have basic needs i.e. food shelter water etc. I am trying to prove that we are abusing the use of food which causes our weight problem to get worse. Not that we are without the need of the essential survival needs.

MY OPPONENT-- "3. For the convenience of speed, so you can spend as much time at home with your family before you go to work, or as much time sleeping before you have to get ready. Running isn't just having the willingness to get to your car earlier, it is having the willingness to get up an hour earlier."
I don't think you understood my point here seeing as I am trying to prove that people in general are getting worse due to television, etc rather than exercising. so I extend my arguments there.

MY OPPONENT-- "And on the tv people are told to exercise and do other things like that. On nickelodeon it even asks children every hour or so to 'get out and do something'"

Yes it does say that on tv. , but I am sure that is not going to prevent the kids from watching tv just because a tv host advises them to do so. It starts with motivation. There is no real motivation, other than the humility in it which I have already rebutted.

Medical treatment-- liposuction or not, it all falls under the same basic principal. Getting over our weigh problem takes personal development, not just sitting there and letting someone else do something for you. Most likely you will just get worse because you are not learning anything, ie personal sacrifice. There fore people tend to gain weight back, leading to wasted money, and lack of motivation nation wide. (not to imply that this is a nation wide problem, just that it is growing consistency)

I would like to end by reminding the audience that my opponent has strayed from the topic on several contentions (1, 2, and 3) leaving the fourth one really the only one worth debating.

Given all the evidence I have provided, I strongly advise everyone to vote pro for this.
-Fo-shizzle
Bricheze

Con

The true question to be asked here, is this: Do your arguments prove beyond any doubt that obesity, in America, will never be solved? (This is your job in the Pro position) Because as of right now, we can only treat it but, we have not found a cure. We do not know what our future entails for us, but I do know that I believe in America, and just as it has in the past, it will conquer every disease and cancer that fills it's land. Until someday, we no longer face these problems, and freedom and basic needs are supplied to the entire world. Someday, we will no longer have diseases, including obesity (which will prove an easier one to solve), and since we are always moving towards that day, hundreds, thousands, or hundreds of thousands of days away: All problems are getting better including the problem that is obesity.
Posted by fo-shizzle 8 years ago
fo-shizzle
so you lost. Big deal. i've noticed you get mad often when you lose. its called pride.
Posted by Bricheze 8 years ago
Bricheze
This debate was so one sided, everyone strongly agreed with pro before and after. Shocker.
Posted by fo-shizzle 8 years ago
fo-shizzle
if the food is cheaper, more people are going to buy it. That is what he meant.
Posted by mizziz 8 years ago
mizziz
I find that the price of food does have an effect on the way people eat...and a big source of the problem is coming from school. at my school chick fil a and papa john's sell their food and almost every kid buy it everyday, it should become illegal like other countries have done, and in they don't have the same problem the united states has.
Posted by fo-shizzle0855 8 years ago
fo-shizzle0855
it is considered a problem when it effects america negatively. Same goes with under age drinking.
Posted by Johnicle 8 years ago
Johnicle
weight PROBLEM?!?! Who said being fat was a bad thing? Certainly there are health risks, but it is simply opinionated that those risks outweigh the benefits of the ever-so-good tasting brownies with frosting and Doritos! Not to mention the stress free life. Don't have to worry about going to the gym. Therefore, there is more free time when we are young and by the time we are old and can't do anything anyway, we are pretty much dead. So the PROBLEM part is very opinionated.

However, I did not read the debate, just the topic line... had to make a comment.
Posted by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
Why dont I ever proof-read anytghing?

I meant, "...are overweight in the UK"
Posted by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
Just like in America, an increasing proportion of the adult population are overweight.

This has resulted in an acute critical shortage of fit birds for blokes to choose from.

Not so long ago, lads used to go out on the pull and walk from one cracker-packed nightclub to another and have to fight the teen-lovelies off with a sh#tty stick.

These days, though, all you get in the clubs is a motley assortment of fat slags and corpulent chavettes. If you are really lucky you might find some five-pinter in the closing time dash for gash, but the next morning when you are sober you face the dilemma of either waking her up or chewing your own arm off in order to affect your escape!
Posted by knick-knack 8 years ago
knick-knack
Yep, those stupid fat Americans!

America- the land of "plenty"
Posted by I-am-a-panda 8 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Pro FTW!
Vote Placed by bgruber93 8 years ago
bgruber93
fo-shizzle0855BrichezeTied
Vote Placed by KyleLumsden 8 years ago
KyleLumsden
fo-shizzle0855BrichezeTied
Vote Placed by Brock757 8 years ago
Brock757
fo-shizzle0855BrichezeTied
Vote Placed by irish_hockey 8 years ago
irish_hockey
fo-shizzle0855BrichezeTied
Vote Placed by mizziz 8 years ago
mizziz
fo-shizzle0855BrichezeTied
Vote Placed by JoeSmurfs 8 years ago
JoeSmurfs
fo-shizzle0855BrichezeTied
Vote Placed by KeithKroeger91 8 years ago
KeithKroeger91
fo-shizzle0855BrichezeTied
Vote Placed by Bricheze 8 years ago
Bricheze
fo-shizzle0855BrichezeTied