manuela12000
BillionBrainCells

an adolescent's right to privacy ought to be valued above a parent's conflicting right to know.

BillionBrainCells

manuela12000

Con

An adolescent is not legally an adult. Parents can be held legally and financially responsible for their adolescent's actions. If an adolescent has a party at the parents' house with underage drinking while the parents are away, parents are legally found as contributing to the delinquency of minors. If the parents are not legally punished, they are financially liable for any debts an adolescent may acquire. If parents know of their child's actions, they can prevent mistakes made by the child that may actually harm the parents. Parents ought to have knowledge of their children's actions, because the parents are held responsible for adolescent's actions.
BillionBrainCells

Pro

5 mins to speak.. cool. It all depends. How old is the child? How is the information obtained? You used the classic house party example.. but let me throw another one out there. Let's say I'm gay and my parents hate gay's. Im 17. My parents place a recording device in my room to listen to my phone calls with my boyfriend and catch me. Following being caught they throw me out for being a homosexual.. Is that right? It all depends. Sometimes the parents have the right and sometimes they don't. I could give countless counter examples. You may think they are unlikely, but thats why you don't post such a vague statement to be debated.
manuela12000

Con

manuela12000 forfeited this round.
BillionBrainCells

Pro

Let's say my parents beat me. I'm not emotionally strong enough to ask for help in school because I'm ashamed. I receive an iphone when I go home but my parents Imessage account is set up and they can read my text talking to my friend about how im going to finally tell the teacher tomorrow.. after a large beating I retreat back to silence. I believe my right to privacy outweighs their right to act like NSA.
manuela12000

Con

manuela12000 forfeited this round.
BillionBrainCells

Pro

BillionBrainCells forfeited this round.
manuela12000

Con

manuela12000 forfeited this round.
BillionBrainCells

Pro

BillionBrainCells forfeited this round.
Posted by BillionBrainCells 2 years ago
BillionBrainCells
@voiceless: What if they are the dangerous situation?
Posted by Voiceless 2 years ago
Voiceless
@BillionBrainCells: If your parents were like that then you would contact CPS or stay in that horrible environment. Your parents should be raising you and they should also be allowed to know what's going on with you in case of dangerous situations.
Vote Placed by donald.keller 2 years ago
donald.keller
manuela12000BillionBrainCellsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Being up how your parents beat you isn't relevant to the debate. Surely an issue that should be discussed, but not in the middle of a debate where it comes off as appealing to emotion. All and all, you did better then Con did...