THE-JOKER
sewook123

animal captivity

sewook123

THE-JOKER

Pro

animals should be put in zoos for lots of reasons
>>zoos save endangered species by bringing them into a safe environment, where they are protected from habitat loss, starvation and predators.
>>many zoos also have breeding program for endangered species, but in the wild, these individuals might have trouble finding mates and breeding
sewook123

Con

As Con, I will be arguing that the house should not keep animals in captivity.

Before I begin, I would first like to define a term for clarity.

Captivity is defined as "the condition of being imprisoned or confined" by the Oxford dictionary. [1]

Now I will first rebut some of Pro's points.

1. "zoos save endangered species by bringing them into a safe environment, where they are protected from habitat loss, starvation and predators"

First of all, a zoo is not a safe environment for any animals. Captive animals are deprived of their natural environment. A cramped cage filled with artificial environment is not a safe place for animals. They cannot be protected from habitat loss because they have already lost their habitat by being placed in Zoos. Some of the food Zoos provide may fit the animals. Predators are part of nature and humans do not have rights to change nature.

2. "many zoos also have breeding program for endangered species, but in the wild, these individuals might have trouble finding mates and breeding"

Reasonable statement. However, instead of simply placing endangered animals in captivity, we should spend our effort trying to prevent further species from becoming endangered. If a species is endangered, that means the availability of those species has decreased dramatically. Zoologists may not have enough empirical information to provide a safe, suitable circumstances for those species to mate.

Now I will present some of my arguments.

1. Better use of money

Holding animals captive cost a lot of money. Millions of dollars spent on holding animals captive can be instead spent on conserving environment and allowing animals to enjoy safe and natural habitat without being held captive.

2. Freedom

Even if zoos have some benefits, they cost animals the one thing that they have: freedom. How would you feel if some organisms suddenly captured you and put you in a cramped cage filled with artificial and fake houses. They may feed you things that you may not like but in order to survive, you will have to eat whatever they give you. You are stared by thousands of strangers every day who may yell and shout at you. This is the life animals that are in captive have to go through every day.

I will present more arguments next round.

I await Pro's arguments and rebuttals.

[1] http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...
THE-JOKER

Pro

THE-JOKER forfeited this round.
sewook123

Con

My arguments and rebuttals still stand.
THE-JOKER

Pro

THE-JOKER forfeited this round.
sewook123

Con

My opponent forfeited his rounds and failed to support his stance, defend his arguments, and to rebut my arguments.

Vote Con!
Vote Placed by Dan4reason 2 years ago
Dan4reason
THE-JOKERsewook123Tied