sirpegasusrider
LaL36

any and all profanity on the radio or television should be legal.

sirpegasusrider

Pro

I believe that any and all profanity should be allowed on the radio and television. the FCC has no right to impose fines for profanity.
LaL36

Con

Good Luck! I'll try to be brief. My opponent has made it clear that "ANY and ALL profanity should be legal." Let's say a kids channel that is guaranteed to be a clean channel and all of a sudden profanity appears. Can you give me a logical explanation why this should be legal and why they should not be fined. Bare in mind that I do not need to argue that profanity in general should be allowed but rather that there is at least one example of profanity that shouldn't be legal and I win.
sirpegasusrider

Pro

I thank Con for accepting the debate, but as for your argument...

" Let's say a kids channel that is guaranteed to be a clean channel and all of a sudden profanity appears. Can you give me a logical explanation why this should be legal and why they should not be fined."

If such a situation were to occur, then the network will receive a bad reputation, and parents will never let their kids watch it again.

I hope this wasn't your best argument. if so, let me give you the reasons why all profanity should be legal.

1.Freedom of Expression

Under the 1st amendment of the constitution, you have a to expression even if it is offensive. For Example, the Westboro Baptist church can hang up sign and protest. Even though children are likely to see those signs. Same goes for the KKK and the Neo-Nazis. Sure you wouldn't want your children to see racist propaganda, but your going to have to deal with it.

2.Most curse words shouldn't even be considered bad.

We live in the 21st century, so my question is... Why are we still offended by silly little words? Who exactly said they were bad? And, why are they considered bad? Most modern curse words have clean words with same meaning. For example, why can I say poop and not sh*t? Why can I say penis and not c*ck? Why can a say vagina and not c*nt? Why can I say fornicate and not f*ck. the words all have the same meaning, but one of them for some reason is a taboo. I think the future generations will laugh at us for being so stupid!

3.Curse words have no effect on children
.

What negative effect exactly does hearing curse words have on children? The answer is none what so ever. Most children get exposed to curse words as early as the age of 5. Chances are they have already heard whatever curse word might be on the "clean channels". And, if not. They will hear them one day. On top of that, children who live in a profane environment usually become emotionally stronger adults.

And, this is why I believe any and all curse words should be allowed. I'll be awaiting your next argument Con.

LaL36

Con

"If such a situation were to occur, then the network will receive a bad reputation, and parents will never let their kids watch it again."

So what is the benefit of it being legal? If it was legal it risks kids being exposed to profanity. And as for another case, what if it was a kids that has a contract not do profanity? Many channels like this exist. Should profanity be legal then.

1. Freedom of Expression

My opponent uses the first amendment argument which is completely flawed. The first amendment is not G-d's words so why can't it be changed if there is a good reason?

"Sure you wouldn't want your children to see racist propaganda, but your going to have to deal with it."

I agree. But in a case where a kids channel that has profanity, why should it be legal? You have the BOP to prove this.

2. Most curse words shouldn't be even considered bad.

This is a complete opinion and a separate debate. To sum it up my opponent mentions how curse words aren't bad but this is completely irrelevant because the fact is, society thinks it is bad.

3. Curse words have no effect on children

Another opinion.

"Chances are they have already heard whatever curse word might be on the "clean channels"."

So what? By that logic if the child saw murder once should they see it again?

"They will hear them one day."

Again it doesn't matter. If the child is going to have "the talk" when they are older why don't they have it right away? My point is, there are age censoring for a reason.

"On top of that, children who live in a profane environment usually become emotionally stronger adults."

Unestablished and unproven point.
sirpegasusrider

Pro

"So what is the benefit of it being legal?"

Well, what's the benefit of keeping it illegal.

"If it was legal it risks kids being exposed to profanity"

And, what exactly is so bad about that.

"And as for another case, what if it was a kids network that has a contract not to do profanity?"

Then we should handle it like any other contract. if they break a contract, they got to settle it in court.

"The first amendment is not God's words so why can't it be changed if there is a good reason?"

But, it hasn't been changed. So, therefore what they are doing is unconstitutional.

"I agree. But in a case where a kids channel that has profanity, why should it be legal? You have the BOP to prove this."

Proof? You don't need a reason for making something legal. Rather, you need a reason for making something illegal. I'm afraid you have the BOP in this debate.

"because the fact is, society thinks it is bad."

That is irrelevant. As laws should be based on the damage done, and not social opinions. Profanity does no real harm to anyone and people can always switch the channel or turn off the radio if they don't like what they hear.

"Another Opinion"

Well, is there any evidence to suggest otherwise.

" By that logic if the child saw murder once should they see it again?"

Witnessing murder has proven phsycological effects on children(and adults for that matter.). Profanity, on the other hand, has zero evidence for any phsycological trauma.

" there are age censoring for a reason."

And, what would that reason be?

" Unestablished and unproven point."

True, there's no way I can prove that, but from my own experiences I tend to notice this trend.
LaL36

Con

LaL36 forfeited this round.
Posted by Deadlykris 3 years ago
Deadlykris
I, too, would strip content-enforcement rights away from the FCC. Let them focus on managing the radio waves, not what travels along those waves.