sam-kila
Oldfrith

are cell phones safe?

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

sam-kila

Pro

Cell phones increase personal safety by providing an easy means of contacting others during an emergency. According to an American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) poll, 56% of people over the age of 65 cite safety as a reason they have a cell phone.
Oldfrith

Con

I will accept this debate.

Since my opponent has put forth evidence concerning her case, I will start my case here.

First, I will provide some definitions

mobile phone: noun any wireless telephone that operates over a relatively large area, as a cellular phone or PCS phone

safe: secure from liability to harm, injury, danger, or risk: a safe place.

Since my opponent has failed to provide any definitions, I will assume these will be the defining words for this debate.

Now, on to my two contentions

1. Cell phones are a serious health risk.
By Amy Worthington, http://www.rense.com...

Your cell phone is a microwave transmitter and it should bear a cancer warning! Microwave energy oscillates at millions to billions of cycles per second. The Journal of Cellular Biochemistry reports that these frequencies cause cancer and other diseases by interfering with cellular DNA and its repair mechanisms. Microwave promotes rapid cell aging. Italian scientists have recently demonstrated that cell phone radiation makes cancerous cells grow aggressively. Cordless phones marked 900 megahertz or 2.4 gigahertz emit the same dangerous microwave radiation as cell phones.

Also, according to Danielle Dellotoro from CNN

Radiation from cell phones can possibly cause cancer, according to the World Health Organization. The agency now lists mobile phone use in the same "carcinogenic hazard" category as lead, engine exhaust and chloroform. (Note: put in the same category as LEAD, which is a serious safety concern for the brain).

A team of 31 scientists from 14 countries, including the United States, made the decision after reviewing peer-reviewed studies on cell phone safety. The team found enough evidence to categorize personal exposure as "possibly carcinogenic to humans."
What that means is they found some evidence of increase in glioma and acoustic neuroma brain cancer for mobile phone users, but have not been able to draw conclusions for other types of cancers
"The biggest problem we have is that we know most environmental factors take several decades of exposure before we really see the consequences," said Dr. Keith Black, chairman of neurology at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.

The type of radiation coming out of a cell phone is called non-ionizing. It is not like an X-ray, but more like a very low-powered microwave oven.
"What microwave radiation does in most simplistic terms is similar to what happens to food in microwaves, essentially cooking the brain," Black said. "So in addition to leading to a development of cancer and tumors, there could be a whole host of other effects like cognitive memory function, since the memory temporal lobes are where we hold our cell phones."

Also, 2. Many people do not need cell phones.

According to Katherine Cobb
my 12-year-old son is pretty much the only one in his peer group without a cell phone, and she likes it that way. "My 12-year-old calls up friends to play, and then they go to the nearby park or out to our backyard or to the local pool. We agree on where he's going, who he is going with and what time he will return," explains Katherine. "I think the world has gotten a little crazy about keeping tabs on our kids (which parents cite as the reason they are getting the cell phones for them in the first place, not that I believe that), when a little responsibility and accountability is what kids need for their own development."

While cell phones may be a convenient way of keeping track of kids, some parents point out that it is hardly the only way to do so. After all, parents kept track of kids long before cell phones came into the picture. "I keep tabs on my kids by being there. If I'm not with them, I know where they are, or the general route they've taken. My daughter is 10, and she can walk around our neighborhood. If I don't see her out the window, I have friends on every block whom I can call, or I can hop in my car and find her," says Jessica, who prefers to remain anonymous.

For these reasons, you can clearly see that cell phones are not safe. Assuming we use the definition that I have provided, cell phones are an obvious risk, for they can cause harm and/or injury. Thank you

Since I hate it when people try to rebut me in my constructive, I will leave this speech as is.
sam-kila

Pro

According to some studies, the use of a cell phone can slightly decrease the risk of developing the brain tumors glioma and meningioma.
Moreover, cell phone radiation, like radio, TV, and visible light radiation, is non-ionizing and cannot cause cancer. Ionizing radiation, including x-rays and ultraviolet light, produces molecules called ions that have either too many or too few electrons. Ions are known to damage DNA and cause cancer.

Cell phone radiation lacks sufficient energy to add or remove electrons from molecules, and therefore it cannot ionize and cause cancer. Cell phone radiation levels are tested and certified by the manufacturer to meet the safe levels established by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Random tests of phones on the market by FCC scientists further ensure that radiation levels meet FCC guidelines.

Furthermore, cell phones do not cause cancer or other health problems. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC), US Government Accountability Office (GAO), and numerous other agencies have concluded that there is no evidence in the scientific literature proving that cell phones cause brain tumors or other health problems.

If cell phones were causing cancer we could expect a rise in the rate of brain and other related cancers. However, according to the National Cancer Institute, there has been no increase in the incidence of brain or other nervous system cancers between the years 1987 and 2005 despite the fact that cell phone use has dramatically increased during those same years.

I have some opposing arguments proving my idea.
Oldfrith

Con

Cell phones increase personal safety by providing an easy means of contacting others during an emergency. According to an American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) poll, 56% of people over the age of 65 cite safety as a reason they have a cell phone."

This is not a debate on whether or not cell phones provide safety, but if cell phones in and of themselves are safe. Therefore, this argument must be considered null and void, and since this is your constructive argument, your case has nothing to stand on. If your case has nothing to stand on, then you have just lost this debate.

However, since that's no fun, I will rebut my opponents arguments as well

"According to some studies, the use of a cell phone can slightly decrease the risk of developing the brain tumors glioma and meningioma.
Moreover, cell phone radiation, like radio, TV, and visible light radiation, is non-ionizing and cannot cause cancer. Ionizing radiation, including x-rays and ultraviolet light, produces molecules called ions that have either too many or too few electrons. Ions are known to damage DNA and cause cancer."

Source, and how does it decrease cancer?

"Cell phone radiation lacks sufficient energy to add or remove electrons from molecules, and therefore it cannot ionize and cause cancer. Cell phone radiation levels are tested and certified by the manufacturer to meet the safe levels established by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Random tests of phones on the market by FCC scientists further ensure that radiation levels meet FCC guidelines."
What were the phones, and what is the limit?

"Furthermore, cell phones do not cause cancer or other health problems. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC), US Government Accountability Office (GAO), and numerous other agencies have concluded that there is no evidence in the scientific literature proving that cell phones cause brain tumors or other health problems."

Yet I just proved that it did, in fact, the World Health Organization did a study and filed cell phones in the same category as LEAD, which can easily cause death.

Also, the WHO would obviously know more about what people can sustain rather than the FCC, for the FCC primarily deals with communications.

Simple. The energy output of cell phones has only recently increased since 2005. Thus, the study is not recent enough to be counted.

Thank you, and I am looking forward to a speedy reply from my opponent.
sam-kila

Pro

sam-kila forfeited this round.
Oldfrith

Con

I see that my opponent has forfeited this round, therefore, since I had nothing to rebut at this time, I shall simply post this message.
sam-kila

Pro

sam-kila forfeited this round.
Oldfrith

Con

Seeing as my opponent has not refuted ANY of my contentions, there is no reason you should not vote for me.
Posted by 1Historygenius 5 years ago
1Historygenius
Now are you supporting the fact that cell phones are safe or against them? I may consider to do this if I get encouragement from others that your are a good and fair debater. In three days I will think about my decision.
Posted by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
check your "my messages" on the left side of your browser. I responded to your PM.
Posted by sam-kila 5 years ago
sam-kila
http://www.debate.org...

i'm not sure that this link will work. briefly debate is about driving abilities of men and women and so on.
Posted by sam-kila 5 years ago
sam-kila
you mean that there is a problem with my page?
p.s. i can't get into what is going on. everything seems to be o'k
Posted by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
can you provide a link to that debate/thread?
Posted by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
Well, we've noticed that some of the members from that IP have done troll debates, and have done C/P arguments, but others seem legit. That is why we are trying to reach some communication.
Posted by sam-kila 5 years ago
sam-kila
can anyone oppose my argument on topic "should women drive?". i'm new here so i can't get into structure of this site. i have to write a name of my opponent. please.
Posted by Man-is-good 5 years ago
Man-is-good
I hope she doesn't troll this debate. It might be potentially productive, even if the instigator could be a troll.
Posted by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
shoot me a PM and we will see if we can help you.
Posted by sam-kila 5 years ago
sam-kila
may be you could help me?
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
sam-kilaOldfrithTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by ConservativePolitico 5 years ago
ConservativePolitico
sam-kilaOldfrithTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Con since Pro FF but Pro had stronger arguments.