steffon66
lord_megatron

are most people credulous?

steffon66

steffon66

Pro

i went out of town last weekend and just got back in. i left my computer at home on accident. so needless to say i was unable to give my rebuttals. id like to run this one back. i dont think i need to prove that people are too ready to believe just about anything like my last opponent (Will22) tried to make everybody think. the definition of credulous is having or showing too great of readiness to believe THINGS. this means that if they are too ready to believe two things then they are credulous as they are having or showing too great of readiness to believe THINGS. not to mention i could prove that people are too ready to believe his definition of things which was many things though he could not specify how many things constitutes as many things. also he added the word many to the definition of the word credulous.

as the claim maker i will instigate. people are too ready to believe the religion their leaders recommend. they are all believed and not all of them can be true. and my opponent seems to think that a religion is just one belief but it is thousands. so that is thousands of things that most people are too ready to believe as most people believe whatever religion their leaders recommend and only one can be true which means far less than .1 percent of people have been right about thousands of beliefs known as their religion. thats enough to prove that people are credulous but i wont stop their. most people believe they know right from wrong in any situation. but most people of a country contradict most people of other countries on almost every precept. even when they agree murder is wrong etc. they arent black and white and believe its acceptable to kill in some cases. they disagree on which cases its ok to kill on. for beliefs? some believe that. some dont. for thieving? some believe that. some dont. for being an american? some believe that some dont and i could go on all day long just on murder. so are people not credulous?
lord_megatron

Con

You said that people are credulous, meaning that they are ready to believe without questioning it first. I think that people were credulous, and that today's world has become more inquiring than ever. I shall go off-topic to take an example. Why would scientists bother to research if they were ready to believe anything? Answers would be so easy then. Even children are known to ask questions regarding how things work. Number of atheists have rose as people start questioning the existence of God. Although some are credulous, most would not believe whatever we say without evidence. Even in a trivial conversation I could say I have a ferrari and the other person would certainly ask where is it. No, the age of research has already begun.
steffon66

Pro

no credulous means having or showing to great a readiness to believe things. it could mean they dont question it but it could also mean they dont question it enough. you talk about scientists. but this is about most people and not scientists. i dont think scientists are that credulous but even rational people are completely irrational when it comes to religion. you brought up children. yes they ask questions but so did the people in the past that your calling credulous. we still believe the same religions some of them did. credulous isnt not asking questions so i dont know where you got your dictionary but you should use a more reliable source. as for most people will not believe anything without evidence. they do infact believe on inclusive evidence. i have not yet said that they believe without evidence. there are thousands of religions and 35 thousand denominations of christianity. only one can be right because of the contradictions and they all think they know they are right. and there is no evidence for these religions and when there is the evidence is horrible. do you know how many historians there were in the mediterranean that never heard of jesus? there was only a few who did. christian leaders hate talking about the origins of christianity because of that. im not saying people are always credulous i just think they are credulous when it comes to religion. but then again i hear a lot of rumors that are not true and people do tend to believe things just because they read them. as the con i dont know how you can win this debate unless you provide evidence for religions and superstitions but they all contradict each other so i dont think you have a leg to stand on. all your first argument did was show that you dont know the definition of credulous or you misinterpret it wrong and that you have no clue what im talking about. did you read my first argument before you posted yours? maybe i should go back and read it because its been a while as this debate was intended for someone else who forfeited. i may not have been very clear because the guy i was going to debate already knew what i meant.

people believe whatever religion their country has to offer and most people choose whatever denomination their local church has chosen and they accept whatever morality their country offers which usually contradicts their religion (now days thank god because religious morality is horrible) . these religions cannot all be right and they offer no evidence. only a religious pluralist would argue that people are not credulous and id rather not comment on that drivel. oops i just did. lol
lord_megatron

Con

I am sorry for the earlier misinterpretation. Since this question goes into the domain of religion, you are somewhat correct. But the growing number atheists prove that people are now starting to question God. Also, your resolution says 'are most people credulous?' which means are people showing too much readiness to believe THINGS. It is not only restricted to religion, meaning some of my arguments are validated.
While the majority still believe in religion, partly the blind belief is reinforced not because people are ready to be blinded, but because of fear of God. The tendrils of religious ceremonies have long since trapped society, leading to superstition and fear of retaliation from God's side. Also, peer pressure has been playing a major role in keeping religions intact. Even if one of us questions the existence of God, his power is so strong in the minds' of believers that instead of explaining they would directly reject such ideas. I am the only atheist in my grade, and believe me, I have asked many believers for proof, yet they realize they have none, but they still clung on to their belief, and almost succeeded in convincing me to join back.
Religion has always been a part of our daily lives, and has already dug its roots in society long time back. Unearthing those roots take a while. Plus if something good happens to a skeptical believer, the effect is some more days for faith. Its not like they are too ready to believe, but all this factors create superstition that God exists. These factors have not yet been questioned much, cause they too have been there for eons.
steffon66

Pro

your argument now is that there is a growing number of atheists. but are most people atheists? no they are not. and in most countries virtually everybody is religious. and its not just religion. its morality, superstition, rumors and more that are all speculation thats bring false certainty. not to mention im not just talking about most people today im talking about most people past and present. well not one christians ive asked on this site has claimed to believe out of fear of god. and they believe several other things. half the world is kids who believe in santa clause easter bunny etc. they are people too right? people generally believe whatever their parents teach them. i have provided many THINGS that people are too ready to believe so i think ive proved my point. also almost no one believes all of what a religion says. there are many THINGS in religions that people believe so saying morality superstitions rumors religion are all things we are too ready to believe is to say that they are too ready to believe thousands if not milions of things.
lord_megatron

Con

No one would admit they fear God, but then wouldn't they be able to believe anything then? Why are we having this debate then? I should have been able to agree to your resolution directly in the first round. I could also say Transformers are Gods, but not even an insane person would believe me. We are taught from childhood about God, but at that stage the mind is not developed enough to question. Children believe in santa clause, easter etc because their brain is not developed enough to question their existence.
I would change the fear of God to fear of society. Our parents strictly believe in God, should we not continue with the same? All my friends, teachers etc. believe in God, what if he actually exists? And superstition, rumors and more are slowly fading. As for speculation of miracles, there is no other scientific explanation for luck yet, so believers go to the excuse of God. Whenever there has been no other alternative, no scientific method to call upon, things that are irrational is where God is concerned. Plus, often when we lack the basis to form an opinion, we go to other people's choices. When the idea of God was developed, if even 1 person agreed to it, all others would follow even when their opinion is 50-50 on the subject.
As for you saying your talking about past as well, it goes against your resolution 'ARE most people credulous?' because it is in present tense. Today's readiness to believe has decreased, as other than religion, none would be ready to believe anything. And I am sure even the Pope can't make a Christ 2 and keep the belief intact. So, because religion has survived so long due to our credulous ancestors, it would take more time to convert all to non-believers. People are obsessed over religion these days, for my friend failed to provide any reason for God's existence, but still continues believing.
Posted by Will22 1 year ago
Will22
Again, I apologize - I wasn't able to accept the debate when I posted my comment. Them is credulous debate between us has been postponed several times by unfortunate circumstances, and I fully intend to continue it. If you would issue another challenge with the same topic I would accept and post my argument at the earliest possible time. However, I understand if the current debate with Lord_Megatron is satisfactory for you by itself.
Posted by steffon66 1 year ago
steffon66
can you not just accept it? its still open
Posted by Will22 1 year ago
Will22
I apologize for forfeiting my round - it is not intentional. If you would reinstate the debate I will accept and post my argument.
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 1 year ago
FuzzyCatPotato
steffon66lord_megatronTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro showed many people accept beliefs inherited from their family. This holds true regardless of what occurs in the future, since the resolution is a question of "are", not "will be".