Suryanshu
Jay-D

are the current changes in the political scene at Delhi indicative of better future for India

Jay-D

Suryanshu

Con

Friends,lets see what it yields....its about the elections
Jay-D

Pro

Challenge accepted.
I shall be the Pro in this debate i.e. I shall be arguing that the current changes in the political scene at Delhi ARE indicative of a better future for India.

Due to him being the instigator, the burden of proof is upon my opponent. I eagerly await his arguments in the next round, failing which I shall present my own.

I look forward to an exciting and fairly-contested debate.
Suryanshu

Con

Suryanshu forfeited this round.
Jay-D

Pro

Unfortunately, my opponent has forfeited round #1. As such, I am now forced to present my own arguments.

Overview:

Recently, the Indian National Congress(INC) suffered a crushing defeat in the recently contested assembly elections at Delhi.
Of the total 70 legislative seats, INC secured only 8 seats, bringing an end to a record 15 years(3 terms) of dominant rule.
The Bharatiya Janta Party(BJP), which is the arch-rival of the INC, won 32 seats, the debutante Aam Aadmi Party(AAP) won 28 seats, and other parties got 2 seats.
http://zeenews.india.com...
The loss suffered by the INC resulted in the resignation of three-time chief minister, Sheila Dikshit.

Debate:

My opponent says that the recent changes in the political scene i.e. the loss of INC, is NOT good for India's future. I, however, deny this. In recent times, the INC has been anything but promising. Reasons:
Commonwealth Games scam(2010)
2G scam
Rising inflation
Bad spokesmanship
These and may other reasons have resulted in a popular anti-congress wave throughout India. Under such circumstances, I feel it is only good that a new government is formed. It's better to risk a new formation to anticipate for change, rather than stick with the old one, which is constantly under criticism.

I await my opponent's arguments/rebuttal(s) in the next round.
Suryanshu

Con

Suryanshu forfeited this round.
Jay-D

Pro

Regrettably, my opponent has forfeited this round as well. I shall continue with my presentation.

In the previous round, I stated some of the reasons for the popular "anti-Congress wave" surging across India. The INC has repeatedly produced dismal examples of political failures.
This, together with the rampant, increasing corruption, does not bode well for the Congress, who have hardly done anything to even slow the rise in corruption cases, both high-profile and low-profile.
http://www.dnaindia.com...

The Nehru-Gandhi label has lost its lustre in India. Rahul Gandhi, the vice president(and possible prime ministerial candidate) of the INC, and the Gandhi dynasty's scion, has failed to connect to his electorate. His campaign last year in Uttar Pradesh, his own homeland, was a shocking failure.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

The INC's humiliating losses in two major state governments of Delhi and Rajasthan are a clear indication as to why the nation would do better without it, post the 2014 general elections.
Add to this the enigmatic presence of Narendra Modi in BJP, and the stellar performance of the AAP, and it is not at all difficult to see why this change in the political scene is good for India's future.

On the big stage, Rahul Gandhi is nowhere near Modi, who shows no sign of slowing down. The AAP also promises to be a party-pooper in some more constituencies. Chances of the INC-led United Party Alliance(UPA), at the 2014 general elections, look bleak.
As far as Delhi is concerned, the crushing defeat of Sheila Dikshit at the hands of Arvind Kejriwal(AAP), followed by her resignation after a record three terms in office, should speak for itself.
I see no reason why this change is bad for India's political future.

I hope my opponent returns to post his next set of arguments in round 4.
Suryanshu

Con

Suryanshu forfeited this round.
Jay-D

Pro

Oh dear... Another forfeit.
Well, I believe that I've made enough points to present my case, and thus, I shall be posting no new arguments in this round.
Now, all we can do is wait and see if Con returns to make some arguments, rebuttals and final statements, if any.
Suryanshu

Con

Suryanshu forfeited this round.
Jay-D

Pro

Well, this is disappointing.
After instigating the debate, my opponent failed to show up for any of the subsequent rounds. In fact, his only activity has been a single sentence. I would request voters to take this in consideration.

Closing arguments:

Ever since the INC(in the UPA) returned to power in 2004, India's politics have not improved very much. On the contrary, some of the largest corruption scams the country has ever seen were exposed in this period.

Current prime minister, former finance minister, and legendary economist Dr. Manmohan Singh has failed to tackle corruption in his cabinet, and hasn't done anything of note to improve the GDP growth rate or to curb inflation and growing food prices. Some people even go as far to say that he's a mere puppet in the hands of Sonia Gandhi(chairperson of the UPA).

The latest from the Gandhi bloodline, Rahul Gandhi, has failed miserably to connect with the voters at large. This, in addition to multiple corruption scams and allegations of black money laundering, has only contributed to the anti-Congress wave.

The INC's rivals, especially the BJP, have capitalized well on this. Narendra Modi's popularity grows with each passing day, and it seems that it's only a matter of time before he becomes prime minister.

How this affects India's future:
The INC's ouster won't provide a fresh start to Indian politics, but like I mentioned earlier, it wouldn't hurt to test a new government, which has shown great promise. The BJP had performed fairly well for nearly 3 terms before UPA returned to power under former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
Narendra Modi shows even more promise than Vajpayee. Those who live in India need no introduction to how he's transformed the state of Gujarat into one of the best states in India. If anything, the current BJP seems to be better than the pre-2004 BJP.
Many questions are being raised about the citizenship, educational background, political credentials and patriotic convictions of Sonia Gandhi(who is Italian by blood) and her children. Allowing UPA to remain in power for another term is only going to make things worse.

So, in my opinion, the current severe losses suffered by the INC in Delhi and other states bode well for India's immediate future. I hope that BJP comes to power in 2014, and Narendra Modi makes the whole of India as well-developed as Gujarat.

I thank Con for instigating this debate; however, I would've really appreciated it if he actually made some arguments.
The rest is up to the voters. Vote Pro!
Posted by Jay-D 10 months ago
Jay-D
Maybe, but I think he's talking about the shift of leadership away from the INC.. Please clarify your stand and I'll debate you.
Posted by ADreamOfLiberty 10 months ago
ADreamOfLiberty
You're talking about the homosexual sex ban aren't you?
Vote Placed by lit.wakefield 10 months ago
lit.wakefield
SuryanshuJay-DTied
Reasons for voting decision: This looked to be interesting, but Suryanshu forfeited all rounds and did not address Pro's arguments. For this, Pro receives conduct and arguments. Pro receives sources for being the only one to use them. Judging by the little content there was here on Con's side, Pro receives spelling and grammar.
Vote Placed by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 10 months ago
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
SuryanshuJay-DTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full forfeit not much to say really. Well done Pro.
Vote Placed by 2-D 10 months ago
2-D
SuryanshuJay-DTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con FFs and drops arguments while Pro provides sources and offers a full three rounds of arguments for a full forfeit.