greekgodfan321
92nida

are the greek gods real?

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

greekgodfan321

Pro

Are the Greek Gods real? I believe they are, and that people refuse to believe it for fear of anger from the largest religion... Christianity. Who says that Apollo the sun god does not ride his chariot of light across the sky? Or that the Goddess Aphrodite of love and beauty was bourne of blood shed?
Awnser me this... do you fear the wrath of Christianity for believing the Greek Gods are real?
92nida

Con

" do you fear the wrath of Christianity for believing the Greek Gods are real?'
Personally we must be fearing the wrath of stupidity to believe in something that is out of the league proved wrong by Science.
"Who says that Apollo the sun god does not ride his chariot of light across the sky?"
Everything logical does. Even a kinder gardener knows that sun is station in the center.
greekgodfan321

Pro

Yes I understand that the sun is the center... but there could very well be a god that blessed the sun. Why do Christians worship God... who supposedly created man from clay and light from his hands. Because they must have someone to worship. Now you tell me... do you believe that the poor man believes that the king will help him?
That is the what Greeks thought... they believed that there is a Higher being that will give them smooth sailing, and growing fields of grain.

I do know that the only proof of these Greek Gods are the statues, but have you ever thought of the Romans and their love of fire? The Romans could have burned all evidence of the Gods before taking them (the Gods) as their own... like homeless dogs.

Please see my reasoning.
92nida

Con

"they believed that there is a Higher being that will give them smooth sailing, and growing fields of grain."
Hope, is a word of concern. It has been evolved into Gods. Now, God here is indisputably a force that is neither seen nor heard. (I'm not an Atheist but I also don't fall under the category who would Worship God because he looks wrathful or for the sake of worship.) If you have faith in a force, something superior makes a logical enough sense. But, to pray because you fear their anger(Which is what the Greeks did earlier) is bizarre. To pray an idol, that has never been seen in it's form except for Myth and stories is if not stupid, a waste of time.
"Yes I understand that the sun is the center... but there could very well be a god that blessed the sun."
Which is not necessarily Apollo. It could be any God or no God. Or just a natural force. It could be Apollo too, but do we have enough evidence?

Your emphasizing on hope. On faith, the faith that follows the Christians or the Muslims to believe in the Almighty as they call it. The Greek Gods are not similar. They make stories like the Gods were Human, hence we term them Mythological. Things the most unlikely to happen. If they have faith, in the term 'God' is easier to believe in than to believe in the monsters and God Wars that seem so unnatural.
greekgodfan321

Pro

Yes, to someone who has no interest in the Greek Gods, it will seem unnatural and crazy. But what about the men and women who worshiped these Gods? Would you have said these things to their faces? Where were you when Adam and Eve were created? and how is it possible that Adam lived to be 900 years old before dying? I've read part of the Bible and know that there is no possible way that any person was there recording history when God said "Let there be light".

It seems odd, right?

I know that we do not have enough evidence to prove these Gods are real. But did that stop the man from discovering that the city Troy was not just of story, but also reality.

It has been good having this debate, and I hope that I have helped you see my reason.
92nida

Con

" Would you have said these things to their faces?"
Absolutely, they are wasting their time doing rituals and what not to please something that doesn't even exists!

" how is it possible that Adam lived to be 900 years old before dying?"
Hence, we waste our time believing in things that couldn't have possibly happened.
And as far as the faith goes and for believers, to back them up, I'd just like to add that believing in Adam and Eve or their existence doesn't require heavy rituals or the fear to face their wrath. Or to worship someone for their Beauty or their wits. That seems classist to me.

"from discovering that the city Troy was not just of story, but also reality."
Which does not mean necessarily that that the Trojans happened as described by Homer.

"It has been good having this debate, and I hope that I have helped you see my reason."
Absolutely refreshing debate. I never thought I'd actually argue about this. I have been having similar debates with my Bff from ages. Lol. Thanks for creating the debate. And I have seen your reasoning which is quite appealing but I just have a different way of looking at things.
Posted by lddebater540 3 years ago
lddebater540
This debate might have been more interesting and humorous if the two debaters had spent more time crafting logically sound arguments rather than assertions. I do not think that this should be on the front page of the site.

I cannot vote, but I will contend that the affirmative won because the negative did not adequately disprove his case.
Posted by lddebater540 3 years ago
lddebater540

Posted by inferno 3 years ago
inferno
This debate was entertaining. But lame indeed.
Posted by 92nida 3 years ago
92nida
"It's like watching two retards trying to fvck a door knob."
I'd rather choose a different action really. Or atleast a different object!
Posted by 92nida 3 years ago
92nida
"So its inherently true that Apollo himself does indeed ride his chariot."
Apollo supposedly rides the chariot around the planet Earth, so any assumption that Apollo really rides the chariot will have no relation to the Myth.
Posted by Cerebral_Narcissist 3 years ago
Cerebral_Narcissist
It's like watching two retards trying to fvck a door knob.
Posted by Christopheratheist 3 years ago
Christopheratheist
My favourite quote

Answer:
The sun may be the center of our solar system but the sun still rides its chariot around the galaxy which in turn rides its chariot around the Universe, which if theory is true, rides it chariot around a series of universes.....

So its inherently true that Apollo himself does indeed ride his chariot.
Posted by DAN123 3 years ago
DAN123
read percy jackson.....
Posted by greekgodfan321 3 years ago
greekgodfan321
just understand that the PRO is me and that I do know what I'm talking about... I will go through until the winner is chosen.

I may be 14 but I'm very stubborn.
Posted by Man-is-good 3 years ago
Man-is-good
Fallacious logic is never encouraged in a debate.
Vote Placed by iamnotwhoiam 1 year ago
iamnotwhoiam
greekgodfan32192nidaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Not much in the way of argument from either side. No sources used. Pro had slightly better grammar.
Vote Placed by socialpinko 2 years ago
socialpinko
greekgodfan32192nidaTied
Reasons for voting decision: S/G go to Con was Pro's arguments posted were consistently on the fringe of incoherence. On arguments, Con takes the win as even though his arguments were a bit too reminiscent of cliche atheism, his points were never properly rebutted by Pro who seemed to treat this as more of a dialectic than an actual debate.