Melvin_B_Tolson
EAT_IT_SUKA

are tomatoes double agents

EAT_IT_SUKA
Started: 1/22/2016 Category: Funny

Melvin_B_Tolson

Pro

I mean are they vegetables or fruit man! Tell me man.

Reason 1 they taste really weird when eaten without being squished or added to

Reason 2 they are also round
EAT_IT_SUKA

Con

Good day. Because my opponent is PRO, she/he has the full burden to prove that, beyond a shadow of doubt, tomatoes are double agents. Since she/he hasn't provided definitions, I will go ahead and do that myself:

Tomato definition
A widely cultivated plant (Solanum lycopersicum syn.Lycopersicon esculentum) in the nightshade family, having edible, fleshy, usually red fruit. Tomatoes are native to and were first domesticated in northern South America [1].

Double Agent definition
A spy who pretends to spy for one government while actually spying for another [2].

My opponent now has to prove that tomatoes are spys who pretend to spy for one government while actually spying for another. If she/he fails to prove so, I win this debate.

"Reason 1 they taste really weird when eaten without being squished or added to"
My opponent fails to prove that double agents also have the same properties. Until she/he can prove that double agents do have the same properties, this argument doesn't help him/her. Also, a double agent's definition is not "tastes weird without being squished," so even if double agents do have the same property, they still aren't necessarily tomatoes.

"Reason 2 they are also round"
Again, PRO fails to prove that double agents have the same property. Even if double agents were round, the definition of a double agent is not "round." Therefore, they aren't necessarily tomatoes if they both have the property of roundness.

P1) If you aren't living, you cannot be a double agent.
P2) Tomatoes aren't living [3].
C1) Therefore, tomatoes cannot be double agents.

Bam! Resolution negated. Vote CON.

... By the way, the tomato is a fruit.

Summary
PRO fails to explain why his/her arguments mean that tomatoes are double agents. Both have very different definitions, so they cannot be the same. Tomatoes must be alive to be a double agent, but they are not, which negates the resolution.

Citations
[1]: http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
[2]: http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[3]: http://www.education.vic.gov.au...
Melvin_B_Tolson

Pro

Tomatoes are believed to be vegetables that escaped from area 51 and took the place as a fruit so that more people would like them.I belive that tomatoes are russians spies who want to destoy us all. They are one day going to rebel against us and stuff us into fancy bottles if we don't stop their growing popularity and their goals of world domination behind their red evil skin.
EAT_IT_SUKA

Con

Rebuttals
"Tomatoes are believed to be vegetables that escaped from area 51 and took the place as a fruit so that more people would like them."
Any sources for this? Also, that has nothing to do with the resolution.

"I believe that tomatoes are russians spies who want to destoy us all."
That is just your unwarranted opinion, and doesn't pertain to the resolution.

"They are one day going to rebel against us and stuff us into fancy bottles if we don't stop their growing popularity and their goals of world domination behind their red evil skin."
That is an unwarranted assumption. Also, that has nothing to do with tomatoes being double agents, which you are arguing for. Finally, we already know that tomatoes are not alive, so they cannot do any of things you are assuming they will.

Arguments
I have no further arguments. My lone argument is still unrefuted, with no attempt to refute it on PRO's part. Tomatoes cannot be double agents if they aren't alive.

My opponent has made many arguments that have no sources nor do they pertain to the resolution. Tomatoes cannot be double agents if they aren't alive. My opponent has made no attempt to refute my lone argument, and so far has not upheld his/her burden of proof. Thank you, and vote CON.
Melvin_B_Tolson

Pro

Melvin_B_Tolson forfeited this round.
EAT_IT_SUKA

Con

It looks like Pro has forfeited.

Pro's Case
I have nothing to refute.

Con's Case
Extend all arguments. Here is why you should vote certain points to me:

Conduct
You should give me conduct points because I haven't forfeited where Pro has. I haven't done anything to breach conduct, Pro has--forfeiting. Therefore, you should vote conduct points to me.

Spelling and Grammar
Just leave this as a tie. Spelling and grammar hasn't impeded any voters' ability to understand the arguments, so just leave this as a tie please.

Arguments
I have refuted all of Pro's arguments and all of my arguments are unrefuted. PRO has failed to uphold his/her burden of proof, as (s)he doesn't have any arguments, so I should get 3 points for better arguments.

I have used 3 reliable sources where Pro hasn't used a single source, so I should get the source points.

Summary
I have refuted all of Pro's arguments and PRO has made no attempt to refute mine. Because Pro has forfeited, has no arguments where I have one standing argument, has used no sources where I have used 3 reliable ones and ultimately failed to uphold his/her burden of proof, vote Con.
Vote Placed by Death23 1 year ago
Death23
Melvin_B_TolsonEAT_IT_SUKATied
Reasons for voting decision: ff