Bnesiba
CHS

as an operating system Mac is better than Windows

Con Tied Pro
Started: 4/28/2008 Category: Technology

Bnesiba

Con

first, i will say, i am a windows user, although the rest of my family uses macs.

here are the main reasons why i beleive macs are infact not superior to windows.

a. widgets
whenever i move to a certain corner of the screen, a bunch of "widgets" cover whatever i am currently working on and are simply annoying. also, vista has gadgets, which are, basically the same thing, but are nicely attached to a closeable sidebar on the right side of the screen.

b. the window interface
in the top left corner of any given window on a mac, there is a green, a yellow, and a red button. they are not labled in any way, and the user is just supposed to know which one does which. I beleive this is the epitome of user hostility, not user friendlyness.

Windows, has an X, for close, a picture of a smaller windowor a bigger window for restore/maximize, and a symbol to represent the taskbar for minimie.

c. closing things does not close them.
this is one of the biggest problems with the macintosh OS. when i close, say, firefox, on a windows computer, it closes, and shuts down. On a mac, however, the window i was looking at closes, but the program is still running, taking up processing power and slowing down the performance of the computer.

d. hardware
windows, like most operating systems will run on any computer. mac however, because apple wants to make money, uses inferior hardware, and makes up for it by having the operating systems specialized for the specific hardware in the computer. This means that it is impossible to upgrade your macintosh's hardware, which means you will never be able to run the newwest software.

e. upgrades
Windows has this nice little control panel called windows update. when the OS gets updated, it tells you, and dowloads the update for you. with macs, however, you have to actually purchase each and every update, which not only decreases security, but costs alot of money as well.

f. security
macs are not more secure. as most people realize, people who use macs do not get very many viruses, this is not, however because the OS is more secure, but because it is only something like 6% of the market. (much like the webbrowser opera, which, although it has many bugs, isnt exploited much since noone uses it)

for these reasons, i beleive that mac, is, infact is inferior as an OS in nearly every way to windows.

thanks to whoever accepts this debate.
CHS

Pro

first i will say I am a mac user as is the rest of MY family.

Responding to your reason A.
Widgets are not always there and in all macs they are optional for you to turn on and off so people who dont find it a convience can turn it off at any time. Widgets are good becuase they help you find the information you need quickly and help to make your time on the computer easier.

B. No offence but all you have to do is put your mouse on the red yellow or green button to see what they do, If you have enough sence to do that then you would know that red is close, yellow in minimize, and green is maxamize. Unlike the windows these are helpful becuase when you minimize it hides it totally and when you maxamize is only uses the full length of the program not your desktop so that is no inconvience at all.

C. Closeing things does not close them to make it a convenience to you to never lose your stuff. At one point or another all Windows users have had something very important they wanted to minimize and instead they close it. With windows all you have to do is pop it right back up and recover it. If you really dont like it still being open all you have to do is go to the top next to the apple sign and click quit (whatever program you are in) its not hard at all therefore causeing no inconveience.

D. I agree that not all programs run on mac but I do not agree that they never have the newest program. You are making this debate like all the standard stuff a computer should have is everything on a window. well a mac is different and they have they're own standard stuff such as the internet i am using right now Safari which is appsolutley free. Mac gives you updates daily on the new stuff that you can download to your computer and unlinke windows that have a lot more memory room for you to hold that stuff in.

E. As i just astablished mac gives you updates daily and not all of their upgrades cost money. in fact only about 38% of them cost money. But even if some do it makes it no better considering windoews upgrades cost money also and they have less memory so you can download less programs to make your computer better.

F. In your statement you agree that mac gets less viruses and I will just say that in my expierences with a windows I had to delete some stupid virus at least once every month so there is NO WAY that windows is more secure.

And my last argument is the commercials. Come on the mac commercials are pricless "Hi im a mac" its hilarious and you never see windows commercials showing that the mac OS is highely more marketable.

For those reasons I urge you to vote Pro on this topic
Bnesiba

Con

A.)Ok, so widgets can be turned off. well, i suppose that would solve the problem of them being annoying, however, then i couldnt use them anymore.

Windows, on the other hand, has a nice thing called a sidebar, that, unlike widgets does not flood the screen, and actually allows me to look at it and to do other things at the same time.

B.) Even if it gives me tool tips to tell me what color means what, the fact that i can't tell what they do just by looking at them is the opposite of user friendly. As i said before, the the icons in windows are nice and obvious so i don't have to mouse over them to see what they do.

" Unlike the windows these are helpful becuase when you minimize it hides it totally and when you maxamize is only uses the full length of the program not your desktop so that is no inconvience at all."

i don't know what version of windows your looking at, but when i minimize something, it very much goes away compleatly(http://img2.putfile.com...) . and the fact that when i maximize something, and it doesnt take up the full screen actually is another "feature" of the mac that is very very annoying. When i click the full screen button, i expect it to take the entire screen, not 2/3s of it.

C.) I don't think i've ever accedentally closed something instead of minimizing it, but, even if this is true, if you close the file, but the program is still open, this doesnt make it any easier to recover the changes to the document if you closed it. Also, the fact that when i close something, even if i don't always mean to, i do usually mean to make it go away. The fact that i have to go through a dialog box to do this is simply time consuming.

D.) macs cannot run the newest stuff when it comes out. period. Example, if you look at ANY game, the game is realeased for windows usually about a year before it is released on mac, if it's released on mac at all. also, macs just, as of about a week ago, can get Ge-force 8800 video cards, which, although were nice and top-of the line last year, are not quite as good as te 9800 cards we windows users can get.

Finally, on the topic of graphics, macintosh, uses OpenGL to render 3d and 2d graphics. OpenGL is always somewhere between 5 and 10 years behind DirectX, which is what windows uses.

also,i'm using Opera for internet right now, but i also have firefox and IE7 on my comp, and none of them cost money either, so safari is nothing special there. (safari is also statisically the worst webbrowser for redering CSS and such correctly)

Memory. well, my i'm using right now has 240 GB of harddrive space, so i don't think i'll be running out of space any time soon. (i also have 4 gb of RAM if that's what you mean by memory)

either way, hardware-wise, windows will always win because people can upgrade their hardware when it gets out of date.(or buy another Hard Drive if they run out of space.)

E.) On the topic of Upgrades, the fact that you have to buy ANY upgrades means it costs more than windows. Since i bought vista, i will NEVER have to buy an upgrade ever again. Windows does have Windows update that auto-downloads things and, if you want, prompts you on which you actually want to install. On the topic of memory, i think i've allready established that mac can never win in that regard.

F.) A virus a month!? either you had no virus protection or firewalls or you were looking at some bad sites, because i've only ever gotten 1 virus, and AVG killed it prettymuch immediatly.(AVG is free by the way, so i did not pay any money for it)

G.) ads don't make something better. For example, do you think that, just because it has more/better commercials, that Taco Bell would have better mexican food than lets say a small restaurant run by actual mexicans?

In conclusion, Windows is a superior operating system because it is more user friendly, it supports superior hardware and can have that hardware upgraded when it becomes obsolete, can run the newest software and has compelatly free upgrades.

because of these reasons, i urge you to vote con.
thank you.
CHS

Pro

A. Widgets go away so there's no argument for that.

And Just to sum up this round becuase I have to go. When you minimize stuff it goes in your toolbar at the bottem and you can get it whenever you want. It never shuts off completely. The thing about windows is you need to upgrade it more and give it better stuff than a Mac for it to work at full capacity. So Mac's are a better OS for security and any other reason
Bnesiba

Con

"A. Widgets go away so there's no argument for that.

"

A. Widjets do, in fact go away, but the reason mac is worse than windows on this point is not just because they are annoying, but because windows does it better. if you look at the screenshot in my previous "speech" you can see that windows has a nifty sidebar to organize all of your "Gadjets" and it does not get in the way.

when i minimize things they got to my taskbar... on a mac they go to the dock. honesly, i don't think that there is much of a difference in minimizing between mac and windows. BUT, if you want to debate about that, windows does it better because the taskbar takes up less space on the screen than the dock.

hmm.. i don't NEED to upgrade a windows at all. i know when i built my computer, it had the best parts i could afford, and was much much better than any macintosh i could have got for nearly twice what i paid. The fact that i CAN upgrade my windows however, is one of the main reasons why it is the superior operating system. (also, my computer ran just fine when i first built it, and i didnt need to upgrade it to run at "full capacity", whatever that means)

Because most of my points were not debated this round, you can pull my b-f points over to con.

Because of the many reason i gave in my last post, and for the reasons stated here, i show that macintosh is not only not the superior operating system, but, is, in fact, very much inferior to windows. because of this i urge you to vote CON.

CHS

Pro

to your minimizeing argument actually the taskbar on mac only pops up when you put your mouse on it so there is no way that it can take up more space than the windows taskbar which is always there and taking up space.

Widgets: Mac has the same taskbar but, as I have said in this speech it goes away so it does not take up space AT ALL there is no way it takes up more space than the windows toolbar.

Mac has a better OS and you can also upgrade it and make it faster. In all studies it shows macs operate faster than windows so the thing about windows being faster and better is untrue.

Also you dropped my commercials argument, they are the best :)

For these reasons i urge you to vote Pro. Thank you to my voters and my oppenent.
Posted by Johnicle 9 years ago
Johnicle
well... the fact of the matter is that mac's are better, BUT... CON won the debate since the b-f points were flowed through on CON and the only point won by PRO is the commercials argument but that does not outweigh all of the other points. I was buying PRO until in round 2 he destroyed himself and CON took advantage of it and overall won the round there.

I VOTE CON

Thanks!
Posted by Johnicle 9 years ago
Johnicle

I VOTE CON

Thanks!
Posted by Derek.Gunn 9 years ago
Derek.Gunn
Bnesiba: well that video contained a lot of lies all right - lies about the Adverts.

Hegeman: Mac users are loyal. that's because we've all used PC's before. ;-)

Nyth: Yes, Microsoft noticed that the dock was a good idea when it was introduced in OS X back in 2000.
Posted by Nyth 9 years ago
Nyth
heh. The taskbar and dock are the same thing...both can be set to go away when you don't have your mouse on them.

I happen to be a PC fan, so i'm probably a bit biased, but the way I see it, mac and windows are basically the same thing. Windows just doesn't have the hardware limitation or the upgrade costs. The rest is really just little stuff that you just get used to, like having to do file->quit to close programs, and having the window buttons on the other side.
Posted by ghegeman 9 years ago
ghegeman
wow i still cant believe so many people voted pro, as con obviously won the argument, mac users are so loyal to their inferior machines (this was established in the argument, i use both)
Posted by Bnesiba 9 years ago
Bnesiba
hmm...
this video prettymuch summs it up:

http://video.aol.com...
Posted by Derek.Gunn 9 years ago
Derek.Gunn
Really?
Could you tell us of some of these lies - I have seen a dozen Mac adverts - but haven't noticed any lies. Perhaps I'm unobservant.

As for adding a HDD, I added a Terabyte HD to my Mac in 20 seconds.
I don't think any commercially available PC could compete with that.

Macs are more secure. Mostly because there are fewer of them, but the fact is I've not had an infection in 15 years despite being truly careless about what I do.
Posted by b3rk 9 years ago
b3rk
Lol, why does he keep saying that PC's running windows have less memory? That just isn't true... They use exactly the same types and brands of hard drives, the only difference is the formatting put in place by the OS, which doesn't change the size of the drive.

However, with a pc, it is much easier to add a new HDD, increasing the memory by as much as you want.

Windows updates do not cost money, Mac is not more secure (only less popular as the con put it), and the Mac commercials are blatant lies. They would actually be illegal slander if they used the word "Windows", but since no one holds the copyright on the initials "PC" they can lie about absolutely ansything with impunity. It's disgusting.
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 8 years ago
rougeagent21
BnesibaCHSTied
Vote Placed by Bnesiba 8 years ago
Bnesiba
BnesibaCHSTied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
BnesibaCHSTied
Vote Placed by Spatz 8 years ago
Spatz
BnesibaCHSTied
Vote Placed by mastajake 8 years ago
mastajake
BnesibaCHSTied
Vote Placed by CHS 9 years ago
CHS
BnesibaCHSTied
Vote Placed by Labrat228 9 years ago
Labrat228
BnesibaCHSTied
Vote Placed by JonathanSpence 9 years ago
JonathanSpence
BnesibaCHSTied
Vote Placed by ghegeman 9 years ago
ghegeman
BnesibaCHSTied
Vote Placed by Nyth 9 years ago
Nyth
BnesibaCHSTied