vi_spex
Trump27

atheism=a religion, like an opposing religion

Trump27

Con

In no way, shape or form is atheism a religion. Atheism is a lack of religion.
Religion- the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods
Atheism- disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods

As you can see the two definitions completely contradict each other. Atheism is the exact opposite of a religion, so your argument that atheism= a religion is false.
vi_spex

Pro

disbelief is not lack of belief.. agnostic is the lack of belief positon on such claims
Trump27

Con

Since my opponents argument is based solely on the claim that disbelief and lack of belief are different, which does not affect my case in any way, let me define some terms with sources provided.

Disbelief- mental rejection of something as untrue[1]
Belief- a strong feeling that something/somebody exists or is true[2]
Atheism- a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods[3]
Agnostic- one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god[4]
Religion- the service and worship of God or the supernatural [5]

As is obvious, Atheists do not have a belief in God, which means they have a lack of belief or disbelief. Obviously if you do not believe in God, you do not worship or service him. By definition, religion is the service and worship of God. If Atheists (and Agnostics) don't do either of these two, it creates a paradox of both definitions if Atheism were to be considered a religion. These two definitions contradict each other, and in that case, it would be unthinkable to consider them the same as you are (I assume, since you have made no argument) proposing.

Also, my opponent's only remark on the subject is complete and utterly false. As was made known in the legitimate definition of the word, Agnostics are unsure if a God exist. Atheists do not believe that a God exists. This is the exact opposite of what you said. Your quote, "agnostic is the lack of belief position on such claims". Reread the two definitions and now tell me which is which. Disbelief, mental rejection of something as untrue. Obviously, if you reject the belief and label it as untrue, you do not have belief! This means you have a lack of belief. This conclusion proves that both of your two claims are false, and also proves how atheism is the opposite of religion, which logically means that it is not and should not be a religion.

[1] https://www.merriam-webster.com...
[2] http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com...
[3] https://www.merriam-webster.com...
[4] https://www.merriam-webster.com...
[5] https://www.merriam-webster.com...
vi_spex

Pro

disbelieving is not non believing.. christians necessarily disbelieve allah for eksample for their god to be the case
Trump27

Con

Yes, so what you are saying is that Christians have disbelief in allah. This means they do not have belief. This means they have a lack of belief. So disbelieving is non-believing, proving your statement false. Relating to your comment about Atheists having their own god, this is completely untrue. The very definition of Atheism is a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods. My final argument and more or less thesis throughout this debate is that Atheism goes against the very definition of religion. By this, it is illogical to classify Atheism or Agnosticism as one. I hope voters take this simple contradiction and my opponents lack of an argument or appropriate spelling and grammar when voting on this debate.
Posted by Mharman 1 year ago
Mharman
I'm trying to debate, but this one user keeps kicking my a**...
Posted by Trump27 1 year ago
Trump27
Plz don't let me tie on this debate it should not even be a competition...
Posted by Trump27 1 year ago
Trump27
No, if an Atheist had a god, he would not be considered Atheist. Having a god clearly contradicts the definition of Atheism.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
atheists have a different god, like christians have their own god
Posted by Trump27 1 year ago
Trump27
Yes, but atheists do not have faith that there is one. They (think they) know that God is not real. This goes against your argument that atheism= a religion and once again proves you wrong
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
nobody is sure there is a god, thats why faith or belief is involved..
Posted by Sinque 1 year ago
Sinque
Disbelief is the lack of belief, which is atheist. Agnostic is the unsureness of what is true.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
you can believe a human is a god
Posted by Youngastronomer 1 year ago
Youngastronomer
You got the definition of religion NEARLY right. Religion does not believe in a "Superhuman". God isn't a human, humans are made of water, oxygen, blood and cells. God is light.