atheism is a theism, belief to the contrary
Debate Rounds (5)
The Encyclopedia of Philosophy has an article pertaining to a religion, which I will list in the sources below. It lists some of the characteristics of religion, none of which pertain to atheism.
1. Belief in supernatural beings (gods).
2. A distinction between sacred and profane objects.
3. Ritual acts focused on sacred objects.
4. A moral code believed to be sanctioned by the gods.
5. Characteristically religious feelings (awe, sense of mystery, sense of guilt, adoration), which tend to be aroused in the presence of sacred objects and during the practice of ritual, and which are connected in idea with the gods.
6. Prayer and other forms of communication with gods.
7. A world view, or a general picture of the world as a whole and the place of the individual therein. This picture contains some specification of an over-all purpose or point of the world and an indication of how the individual fits into it.
8. A more or less total organization of one's life based on the world view.
9. A social group bound together by the above.
Now, atheism is defined as the belief that there are no gods.
Wait, you say, BELIEF!
You can believe in something without it being a religion. For instance, I believe that the Warriors series of novels is a good book series. However, do I do any of the things above? Do any of the things above pertain to my belief that Warriors is a good book series?
The same applies to atheism.
See you in Round 2.
Forgive me if I post the wrong article.
your oppinion is your oppinion, good can be a subjective term. do you believe, that your oppinion, is that the warrior series is good? or is your oppinion that its a good series?
i dont understand your point..
belief that there are no gods is belief to the contrary
if you believe that i am not wearing a hat right now and you are pissed about me claiming it what is your justified arguments? you have none, as you dont know is true, just like the theist
If you believe something then it is a religion.
But atheism DOES NOT fall under the other characteristics of religion.
One of them being the belief in a god. Atheism is the opposite.
There is no distinction between sacred and profane objects with atheists.
We don't perform ritual acts.
We don't follow a moral code we believe to be sanctioned by the gods.
We don't feel characteristically religious feelings, and we don't perform religious acts.
We don't pray.
(Okay, 7 makes no sense. Everyone has a world view regardless of religion. So does 8.)
Yes, I suppose we have a "social group", but there is a majority here.
atheism is belief to the contrary based on a different religion, therfore atheism is theism, theism is atheism by default
One does not need religion to believe something, and atheism does not fall under any of the other characteristics of religion.
(Also, please use proper spelling and grammar. It helps you a lot in the voter's eyes.)
i accept i dont know=agnostic=maybe
only 3 positions exist on any imaginary claim
atheism, is A theism, like a rock
atheism=a theism to the contrary
any belief is belief in god, god is information, beliefs are false, religion is false, belief is religion.
You saw my argument the last 4 rounds and I'm not restating it again.
No votes have been placed for this debate.
You are not eligible to vote on this debate
This debate has been configured to only allow voters who meet the requirements set by the debaters. This debate either has an Elo score requirement or is to be voted on by a select panel of judges.