vi_spex
triangle.128k

atheism is a theism, belief to the contrary

triangle.128k

vi_spex

Pro

christians are atheists to thor and odin, becasue they believe their god is true ergo Thor and odin can not have created everything, so you will hear arguments for the bible if a christian met a Nordic god believer
triangle.128k

Con

I accept
vi_spex

Pro

the point is, theism is atheism, atheism is theism, if you believe in god you also disbelieve other gods based on that, which is belief to the contrary

you just try to snipe a hole in my newly polished gigantic antimatter and blastwave absobing secured spaceship with autmated nukes and an autmatic launch response before missle lock.. bring it
triangle.128k

Con

According to dictionary.com, this is the definition of an atheist:

noun
1.
a person who denies or disbelieves the existenceof a supreme being or beings.

And theist:

noun
1.
the belief in a God as the creator and ruler of the universe, without rejection of revelation(distinguished from deism ).
2.
belief in the existence of a god or gods (opposed to atheism ).

My opponent insists that atheism and theism are the same thing. He insists that believing in one god makes you disbelief in other gods. While this is true, that does not make one an atheist. A theist is one who believes in a god (or multiple gods.) If a Christian rejects the Hindu gods as being fake but Yahweh as real, this does not make them an atheist. An atheist is one who believes in no gods.

Atheism is the disbelief in gods, theism is the belief in a god or gods. Rejecting one god but believing in another still makes you a theist.

Atheism and theism are complete antonyms, my opponent is not making sense here.
vi_spex

Pro

if you are an atheist, why disbelieve? or based on what

in the example in round 1, the theist is by default an atheist to all opposing belief claims in order to believe in that god, because surely if the christian god is true other creation claims must be false, so natural atheist

you havnt adressed anything i have argued so far
triangle.128k

Con

My opponent asks "if you are an atheist, why disbelieve?" Some people may not see evidence for god, thus making them an atheist.

Vi_spex than argues that by being a theist, you're an atheist to other "belief claims." This does not make sense because atheism is disbelief in god. If one believes in a god, they're still a theist. They may disbelieve in other gods, but that does not make them an "atheist" to those gods, it simply means they just disbelieve. If they were an atheist, they would believe in no gods what so ever.

If what Vi_spex is saying is true, this would mean that an atheist means somebody who rejects a certain god. This isn't true, because an atheist is one who rejects all gods. A theist is one who accepts at least one god.
vi_spex

Pro

not seeing evidence isnt a position, do you conclude from the lack of evidence of gods existence that god is false?

are you an atheist btw?

religion is non sense, atheism is belief to the contrary, not just other belief claims because science dosnt deny the existence of god, you can still believe in science as a christian.. atheism is a belief based counter position on my claim as a theist

atheism=disbelief=belief=theism

disbelief=belief to the contrary

but you cant disbelieve to the contrary and be an atheist without a counter belief, like belief in Thor and odin

atheism is belief in god, theism, in order for it to exist

to get really simple, belief is belief in god, god is information

any theist, is an atheist
triangle.128k

Con

In the first sentence, I do not understand what vi_spex means by "not seeing evidence isn't a position." They then ask if i'm an atheist, which I would like to note that I don't classify as one.

I couldn't quite get the third statement my opponent made, then they insist that atheism is theism again. Vi_spex isn't seeming to make any sense here, they then say atheism is belief in god. It isn't, it's the polar opposite.

I don't quite get what Vi_spex is saying, but he has not bothered to refute my arguments.
vi_spex

Pro

you believe based on evidence right, so do you believe, based on lack of evidence when i claim i am wearing a hat right now

belief is theism, disbelief is belief

you cant be an atheist if you dont have a belief to disbelieve from, like a christian disbelieves Thor and odin

religion is non sense

i dont see any arguments
triangle.128k

Con

I do not quite get what Vi Spex is saying, but they don't seem to explain why atheism is theism. Vote con.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
atheism=religion=false
Posted by lol101 1 year ago
lol101
No.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
there i win..
Posted by lol101 1 year ago
lol101
Nope.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
matter=1=reality=true
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
show me 1 without anything
Posted by lol101 1 year ago
lol101
True does not equal 1.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
if i have 1 stone in my hand is it possible that i have 2 stones in my hand?
Posted by lol101 1 year ago
lol101
Okay?
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
1 stone is not 2 stones
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
vi_spextriangle.128kTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con clearly won this debate, they successfully showed the difference between an atheist and a theist using definition. Showing how theists are still theists if they believe in one god and reject all others, because according to the definition, they still believe in a divine entity. This argument was dropped by Pro, who referred back to their round 1 argument, adding nothing new to it, even though it had just been refuted by Con. This one crucial argument by Con was left untouched by Pro, who in the rest of the debate continued to make statements that didn't make sense and didn't relate to the topic at hand, in a way only vi_spex can.