vi_spex
Brian1813

atheism is belief to the contrary, thats all

vi_spex

vi_spex

Pro

atheism has nothing to do with non belief..

theist=yes position on an imaginary claim
atheist=no position
agnostic=I accept i dont know

only 3 positions exist on any imaginary claim

belief=i dont accept i dont know
non belief=i accept i dont know
Brian1813

Con

The term "atheist" means a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in religion. People who lack spiritual guidance are known as atheist. Therefore when someone is an atheist, it means he or she has no religion. It strikes substantial similarity to colors, as in black is the lack of color, just like the fact that atheism is the act of non belief.

Have a look at atheist.org, the website to your supposed 'religion', even it says that "Atheism is not a belief system nor is it a religion. While there are some religions that are atheistic (certain sects of Buddhism, for example), that does not mean that atheism is a religion." This disproves your statement on the fact of is atheism is a belief or not.
vi_spex

Pro

atheism is belief to the contrary, for you to believe i am not wearing a hat right now while i claim i am

why dont you believe in god?
Brian1813

Con

Hold on, I thought I was the one to disprove of the fact of atheism is religion. And I do believe in God, but unfortunately I am thoroughly confused of which position I am to take. Can you please make the arguments more clear and apparent?
vi_spex

Pro

alright, but i am saying atheism is religion thou, so it is belief in god

you cant see me right now, and if i claim i am wearing a hat, a theist would say i am, an atheist would say i am not(imagine i am not), and an agnostic sees both sides for what they are, imaginary

science believer today call themselves atheists while truly being theists to science and these are the arguments you hear, Scientific arguments, but my claim is that atheism is purely disbelief, so to contrast, belief is purely theism, and science is a religion, as i can at best believe what others tell me, unless i dont have to imagine it
Brian1813

Con

Atheism is most definitely not religion, just like the color black happens to be the lack of color. There is no belief that believes in not believing, if that made much sense. Two commonly used retorts to the nonsense that atheism is a religion are:

1) If atheism is a religion then bald is a hair color.
2) If atheism is a religion then health is a disease.
A new one introduced in 2012 by Bill Maher is, "If atheism is a religion, then abstinence is a sexual position."

The singular thing that groups all of the atheists together is their non belief in gods or supernatural beings. That means, since there are many religions out there with different idols, atheists are not bound to agree on anything further than that. Countless arguments have single-handedly proven that atheism is in fact no religion.

Does atheism have an eschatology? Eschatology is a "belief about the end of the world or the last things." Now, I'm sure that many atheists have some sort of beliefs about how the world might end, but those beliefs sure aren't clearly defined or uniform among all of us. In fact, any beliefs about the end of the world are accidental - that is to say, they are not a necessary part of atheism. There is absolutely, positively nothing inherent in the disbelief in gods that leads one to any opinions about the end of the world. Quite the opposite of how 'eschatology' is treated in a religion.

Atheism is a disbelief, not a philosophy. My disbelief in the Tooth Fairy is not a philosophy of life - is it for anyone else? Furthermore, a philosophy of life is not necessarily a religion and it doesn't necessitate that a religious belief exists in the person with the philosophy.
vi_spex

Pro

you can call atheism the Black position, atheism is the negative position on an imaginary claim, theism is positive, and agnostic is balance, default, maybe position

atheism is the opposite of theism, but they are both not real, so it isnt like hot and Cold, but more like not Cold but hot and unhot, but there is no such thing in reality

these retorts are more like jokes.. they are not arguments, my hair is not atheism, atheism isnt a thing

religion is a position, on an imaginary claim, atheism is the no vi spex, you are not wearing a hat right now(if you now go to evidence it Means you rely on science)

religion=to rely on, while self is one

i am one is true

belief is theism, atheism is disbelief, disbelief is belief, disbelieving my claim is not, not believing it

how do you know the tooth fairy is not real?

how is believing in the tooth fairy different then belief in the christian god?
Brian1813

Con

Brian1813 forfeited this round.
vi_spex

Pro

yea! pew pew
Brian1813

Con

Rebuttal upon Round Four:

Various definitions of religion could be 1. Something one believes in and follows devotedly. or 2. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion. But this definition of religion is so broad that virtually anything people enjoy doing very much, or follow strongly or obsessively, is a religion. It"s a definition of religion that is so broad that it"s meaningless. In reality, most of the things that people follow enthusiastically, are just hobbies. And ironically, although not collecting stamps is not a hobby, getting involved in atheist activities (writing books and blogs, attending atheist meetings) might well be a hobby for some people. But it is a hobby, not a religion.

One last thing. Some theists have responded to the "if atheism is a religion, not collecting stamps is a hobby" argument by pointing out that non stamp collectors don"t write books or blogs about not collecting stamps, don"t post anti stamp collecting ads on buses, don't ridicule stamp collectors, etc. This is meant to demonstrate that the "stamp collecting" analogy is weak. It actually demonstrates that the analogy is very good, since it highlights one of the main problems atheists have with many religious people.

Here"s the thing they are missing, and the real problem most atheists have with religion. If stamp collectors demanded that people who don"t collect stamps obey their stamp collecting rules, started wars with groups who collected slightly different types of stamps, denied non-stamp collectors rights or discriminated against them, bullied them in school, claimed you had to collect stamps to be a suitable person to run for public office, tried to get stamp collecting taught in schools as science in opposition to real science, demanded that people be killed for printing cartoons that made fun of stamp collectors, claimed that non-stamp collectors lacked moral judgment, made up ridiculous straw man positions they claimed non-stamp collectors took, and then argued against those straw men positions etc etc, - then non-stamp collectors probably would criticize stamp collectors in the way atheists criticize many religious people. And with good reason. Not collecting stamps would still not be a hobby. Or a religion.

I shall not compose another proof for round five, as Vi_spex has written only meaningless words. I will allow my opponent an equitable opportunity at the debate. Thanks you for reading, and I hope you'll vote for me.
Posted by Brian1813 1 year ago
Brian1813
No, you did not just simply "win", nor did forsake my last turn.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
i win anyway man
Posted by Brian1813 1 year ago
Brian1813
Since I missed my deadline, may I post in the comments? I was sleeping..
Posted by lol101 1 year ago
lol101
Woah! New profile picture? I can't even look at you the same way.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
the grey level is a secret
Posted by Brian1813 1 year ago
Brian1813
Wow, this debate has made me thoroughly bewildered, I'll be looking forward to your rebuttal.
Posted by Kozu 1 year ago
Kozu
There making a new series that takes place a few years after Z.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
sure i dont know

i like dragon ball z
Posted by Kozu 1 year ago
Kozu
Idk if anime/manga are considered a hobby.

If they are, yes!
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
and spend time alone in nature, for balance

you have a hobby?
Vote Placed by TheJuniorVarsityNovice 1 year ago
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
vi_spexBrian1813Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff