vi_spex
jrespeed1

atheism is disbelief

jrespeed1 has forfeited round #2.

vi_spex

Pro

disbelief=belief

theism=belief
jrespeed1

Con

So I'm assuming the argument is atheism is not... a belief, thing, or... really good at all. I believe it is. I mean, by definition, it is one view of how all of reality was created and exists, and why everything happens. That is undeniably, a belief, at least by one definition. I am atheist, so of course i think this, and I do struggle a little understanding how it is not a belief. My assumption is that according to religious people, there is nothing to believe in atheism compared to something like Christianity. I could not disagree more. There is plenty to believe. You can believe the scientific evidence and reason for the creation of the universe and solar system and earth and everything. You can believe all the scientifically proven explanations that are alternatives to explanations. Even if, for example, the Christian story of creation is true and more... interesting, for lack of a better word, I refuse to believe it. It contradicts all logic. Even if there is no hard evidence of, for example, the big bang theory, there is some reason to believe it all, which is more than in the book of Genesis. There is absolutely 0%, no reason to believe it. This is one of the reason I am atheist. I was born into a Christian family, however I see no reason to believe anything in the Bible. Essentially, all that every major religion is, is an old, outdated group of explanations for everything that happened. However, all of the things religion explained without any actual proof, can be explained by science now. With proof.
vi_spex

Pro

assumptions are brainless, read
Posted by vi_spex 9 months ago
vi_spex
a=all
Posted by thickwilly 9 months ago
thickwilly
actually I stand corrected === just realized that if theism means belief, the a in front denote non belief. just as in apathy apathy = feeling, while pathy means denoting feeling, look up the definitions. so atheism means lack of theism, or lack of belief So I stand corrected.
Posted by thickwilly 9 months ago
thickwilly
nothing to debate here ... you just wrote down a definition ... of course atheism is a belief, the belief that there is no god
Posted by vi_spex 9 months ago
vi_spex
assuming you already know atheism is disbelief
Posted by vi_spex 9 months ago
vi_spex
atheism=theism
Posted by Chase226 9 months ago
Chase226
Could you clarify the debate to make more sense.
Posted by vi_spex 9 months ago
vi_spex
thats what the debate is about
Posted by Chase226 9 months ago
Chase226
Disbelief does not equal belief and theism means belief in the existence of God or gods.