missanon12
Berend

banning smoking

Berend

missanon12

Pro

They are not banning smoking for good, just in public places. If there is a kid in a public place where someone is smoking they are going to get smoke in their lungs from the air. Second hand smoke contains more than 4,000 substances, including 200 known poisons and 43 cancer-causing agents. Who would want their kid to get sick from all of the chemicals when the kid is not the one smoking. My parents smoke and I make them go outside or in the garage they are not allowed to smoke in the car because the smoke will get in the seats and it makes it stink. Cigarettes are a ticking time bomb. Over 400,000 people die every year from smoking. I have lost family to smoking. It is stupid and pointless. But if smoking is banned in public places, workplaces, and restaurants then kids wont be harmed when they are out with their family. Families do not want to go out and later find out their kid is sick from second hand smoke. Say it is your kid, would you be mad if you found out they were sick from someone else's choice? I would be pretty dang ticked. Smoking is not banned forever. it never could because the businesses are huge and they would go out of business. Why are you so against it?
Berend

Con

I'm against banning smoking in public areas for the very name: Public Space. I do not have much to say for an opening, since really I am in a bit of a rush and was not expecting this. However, I will say this, if you think smoking should be banned in these three types of areas solely on the basis of second hand smoke and it being bad, than you should completely ban it on the basis of second hand being literally everywhere, no matter where you go. Smoking being reduced to your private home will not be good and removes freedom so you can overly protect those who can not protect their own kids out of sheer ignorance.

People have every right to smoke on public property, since they also pay tax dollars, and the people who own private land that is of public accommodations, have a right to say who can and can't smoke. That is if you can or not on the land. If you have an issue with that, do your research before hand and do not go to places where people might smoke. Look where you walk.

At that point you you have to see that smoke travels, just like the smog in San Fransisco that is actually from China. Meaning no matter where you are, the chemicals will travel or have the chance too. Drinking in your house also opens doors for you to walk out, get in a car, and drive that can kill someone. Should we ban drinking too? Prevent home drinking? Maybe cars are next as their fumes are also bad. One study showed that with 3 cigarette in a closed room was a car exhaust, the cigarette produced, i n30 minutes like the car, 10x the amount the car. Not you will face more fumes with mutliple cars in one day than 3 cigarette by each other like that closed test. One means that a single cigarette produces 3.333% more than the car. But you face more than 10 to 1 with a car to a cigarette in a single day, equaling it out and than besting that number. (1) (2)

So when you are in a closed garage, one smoker and one car, each by themselves for thirty minutes. The cigarette will do 3.333% more than the car. So it's like having basically 3.5 cars in to equal one cigarette. But you face far more in one day. So, by this logic, lets ban car use because they are so clearly worse.

Should we outright remove anything and everything that can possibly harm our kids? No, that is nonsensical.

I should also add I am playing Devils Ad, I have no real positioning this at the moment in time. Not even sure where pro got the notion I was against it. I'm against banning smoking in general, not public. Just like I am for legalizing all drugs, I do not think you should be snorting meth next too kid in the supermarket. That is all. I really have nothing to go by till pro post something.

Cited Work:

1) http://www.healthline.com...

2) http://rhinofitnesslivehealthy.blogspot.com...
missanon12

Pro

missanon12 forfeited this round.
Berend

Con

Points extended.
missanon12

Pro

missanon12 forfeited this round.
Berend

Con

Pro has had no argument refuting my opening points or defending how his side is right, he has failed to post, vote con.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
missanon12BerendTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture