opajules
Mak-zie

beauty pageants cause more harm than good

Mak-zie
Started: 1/10/2013 Category: Economics

opajules

Pro

beauty pageants are competitions that sexualize and reform women to look more beautiful and can cause serious problems

need practice for school please debate me
Mak-zie

Con

I accept this debate and will argue that beauty pageants do more good than harm. I look forward to an interesting debate and wish my opponent the best of luck.

First of all, since my opponent has not specified which beauty pageants they wish to debate, I will assume that they are meaning all pageants, from birth to past college. I can also assume that we are also talking about natural pageants as well as glitz pageants.

Self Confidence
Some girls do pageants as a great way to be more confident. Being on stage and meeting new people can be a great experience for a young, shy girl or boy. They are bound to make so many more friends, too, and some of the girls may be just like that little shy girl doing pageants for confidence. Many contestants play with each other backstage and get to know each other. A child in pageants gets used to being in front of strangers and crowds, which boosts their self-confidence.

Skills
Whether some people want to believe it or not, you can learn a lot from participating in a pageant. In routines they do they learn to dance, sing, along with many more things like gymnastics. And it helps them pick on routines easier the longer that they do it, kind of like sight reading in band. They can also learn important interviewing skills, which a lot of people are weak at. Finally, pageants have sports incorporated in them, like dancing, cheerleading, and gymnastics, which pageants can improve skills for those sports.

Fun
Especially for little girls, a pageant can be a lot of fun. In a natural pageant, they don't wear any makeup or anything artificial. They are in it to have fun, dance, and smile. For a little girl, it's like playing dress-up. Pageants can mean as much to a little girl as soccer or basketball can mean to a little boy, and no one questions those. You never see anyone complaining that kids in soccer get hurt way too much or that it's constantly a source of being made fun of for a little boy who isn't very good.

Sportsmanship and Dedication
Good sportsmanship is a good virtue that all kids should have. Being put in something like pageants and learning how to win and lose graciously is a hard thing to learn that pageants help with. They learn they can't always win, but work harder to try and win next time, which will get them farther in life. This also shows them how their dedication can pay off in their. Good dedication does a lot for young children.

Beauty pageants can also be beneficial in other ways like:
1. Bonding with parents
2. Getting scholarship money
3. Being a role model for younger girls
4. Daily exercising or just exercising more
5. Pageants opening up more opportunities like college funds and musical and modeling careers

http://www.kerrirandall.com...
http://www.kidsformal.com...
http://voices.yahoo.com...
http://www.deseretnews.com...
http://books.google.com...
opajules

Pro

firstly you compared beauty pageants to sports, this s not correct. In beauty pageants women are forced to or choose to exploit themselves with makeup and fake hair-teeth this may cuase them to be unsatisfied with their apperance when they are not wearing these things this could cuase low self esteem and defects like anorexia when they try to be that gliz queen always and decide to stop eating to be thiner and less of a human and more of that fake plastic excuse for a human.

secondly at the end of your article you said that benifits of beauty pagents include scholarship money
the price of the dresses outweighs the moey won by the contestants. this could cuase a false image of acevement and cuase the contestant to beleve that they are supporting themselvs and they can fall into poverty.

pageants such as mrs america or mrs. universe can send damaging images to younger contestants that beauty is most important leading to major and minor psychiatric problems later in life.

while you said that beauty pagents can help tobond with mothers it ca also ruin their relasioship due to injections and waxings doe by the mother cuasing pain and feer to be factors in their relationship

citation
oniel justin "should 4 year olds be beauty queens scholastic scope 12 dec 2011 20-21,sirs isueresearcher web o9,jan 13
Mak-zie

Con

Rebuttals:

"firstly you compared beauty pageants to sports, this s not correct."
How is this not correct? My opponent did not say how pageants were not similar to sports, so I cannot rebut this. Beauty pageants are similar to sports because like I said before, you have to exercise for both, put in many practice hours, and compete for the highest title.

"In beauty pageants women are forced to or choose to exploit themselves with makeup and fake hair-teeth this may cuase them to be unsatisfied with their apperance when they are not wearing these things this could cuase low self esteem and defects like anorexia when they try to be that gliz queen always and decide to stop eating to be thiner and less of a human and more of that fake plastic excuse for a human."
This is ridiculous. Most women wear makeup and fake hair/ dyed hair, and they don't go unconfident and go anorexic. So if you say that people who wear makeup and dye their hair are less of a person, you are saying that half of America are not worthy to be people.

"secondly at the end of your article you said that benifits of beauty pagents include scholarship money
the price of the dresses outweighs the moey won by the contestants. this could cuase a false image of acevement and cuase the contestant to beleve that they are supporting themselvs and they can fall into poverty."
Well, this does not really happen. If you are going to compete in pageants on a weekly basis with new dresses every week, you obviously have money so you're not going to go into poverty. But where you would really make scholarship money is going to a local pageant or something to try and win for scholarships. This is a one time thing for most people who do this, and they can make a lot of money if you win, especially if you wear secondhand but still beautiful dresses and budget your money.

"pageants such as mrs america or mrs. universe can send damaging images to younger contestants that beauty is most important leading to major and minor psychiatric problems later in life."
This is also not true. A pageant such as Miss Universe gives young girls a great model to look up to: poised, well-spoken, smart, and friendly. Pageants give girls people to look up to.

"while you said that beauty pagents can help tobond with mothers it ca also ruin their relasioship due to injections and waxings doe by the mother cuasing pain and feer to be factors in their relationship"
Really? What injections do you need for a beauty pageant? And many mothers take their daughters to get their eyebrows waxed, from as young as seven or eight to eighteen. And this is for the girl's benefit. Some girls get made fun of for their thick eyebrows or unibrows, and getting them waxed makes the girl feel more confident. Waxing and these
"injections" don't mean that a mother is torturing her child...

I think my opponent is not looking at the natural side of beauty pageants, which are another type of beauty pageant. But even though naturals are better, all pageants are a great way for girls to become well-spoken, confident, musical, and excel in sports and all that they do in life.

http://shine.yahoo.com...
Posted by Mak-zie 4 years ago
Mak-zie
I really don't why that happened. It came up as an alert that opajules forfeited but it didn't show it on the debate and then it didn't show up when I posted my final round. Hmmm...
Posted by bladerunner060 4 years ago
bladerunner060
How can this one have been voted on it the last round has not been posted or officially forfeited? I mean, I'm not arguing the vote, I'm just curious at the error that allowed it.
Vote Placed by RyuuKyuzo 4 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
opajulesMak-zieTied
Reasons for voting decision: I can't see the last round, but pro hasn't been on in the last 6 days, so I think it's safe to say he definitely did ff at least one round.