Musicgeek2013
Theophilos

being born gay

Musicgeek2013

Pro

Many people argue that being gay is a choice, and i really can debate with that. for those who are not bi, gay, or whatever you like wouldn't understand. why would someone want to be different from everyone else? being gay is not easy! so if being gay is a choice does that mean those people who are straight choose to be straight? that means you had the choice to be gay? i believe you were born the way you turn out to be (gay or stria hgt)
Theophilos

Con

I thank my opponent for this debate. I should note that I am, myself, pro same-sex marriage, and support the LGBT community to a great degree. This however is a matter of fact, and I feel I should clear this misconception up.

Definition(s):
1. gay: a homosexual, especially a man; one who has same-sex attraction.

I will be presenting one positive line of argumentation. However before that I will be presenting one rebuttal.

R1: Unsubstantiated Case
My opponent is the instigator, the proposition, and the one giving the positive claim. By extension of all three the burden of proof should rest entirely upon my opponent. This means that my opponent should be providing arguments. I though see no argument from my opponent. S/he presents absolutely no source, and appeals to emotion.

There is absolutely no scientific research presented, and so I ask the voters to consider this in their vote. My opponent simply gives no argument.

LOA1: Genetic Causation
"Mainstream geneticists react in much the same way when people try to argue human behaviour—particularly, for the purposes of this book, homosexual behaviour—is dictated by genes. For the geneticists the argument was settled 30 years ago. Almost every behaviour is both nature and nurture."[1]

So while my opponent would say people are born with same-sex, or opposite-sex attraction that is not the case. In fact "genetic influences of homosexuality are weak, and indirect, and about 10% of the total effect".[2] The reason for this is that all genes regarding behaviour are "phenotypes" which cannot be sucessfully be related to genotypes. In the end the gene's basic function is not behavioural, but biochemical.[3]

The gene is rather complex. Each structure has millions of rings, and there are bound to be some mistakes. These mistakes, and genes themselves however make proteins. Just as there is no gene for making sarcastic remarks, for being snobby, or being cynical there is no gene for same-sex attraction.

Instead while there are people who may be more susceptible to sensitivity, there are people who may be more open to being gay. This nature is however no more than 10%. Rather nurture, the way one was raised, and certain complexes that one gained while growing up contributes more to same-sex attraction.

Also as aptly put by Oxford Geneticist Prof. Dennis Noble: "Relating genotypes to phenotypes is problematic not only owing to the extreme complexity of the interactions between genes, proteins and high-level physiologicalfunctions but also because the paradigms for genetic causality in biological systems are seriously confused."[4] This is not an appeal to authority, however I can hardly give everyone a microscope or teach them microbiology. For those who want a deeper understanding I have cited the sources.

Over to the Proposition!

[1]http://www.mygenes.co.nz...
[2]Ibidem
[3]Ibidem
[4]http://musicoflife.co.uk...

-Theo
Musicgeek2013

Pro

Musicgeek2013 forfeited this round.
Theophilos

Con

Theophilos forfeited this round.
Musicgeek2013

Pro

Musicgeek2013 forfeited this round.
Theophilos

Con

Theophilos forfeited this round.
Musicgeek2013

Pro

Musicgeek2013 forfeited this round.
Theophilos

Con

Theophilos forfeited this round.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
It is a sex act. All actions are choices.Not like hair color or height.
Posted by Mr.Lee 2 years ago
Mr.Lee
Here you go. Look at this. I stand by belief.

http://www.debate.org...