Thelizard57
MassiveDump

bullying

MassiveDump

Thelizard57

Con

This is my first debate so forgive me if I make mistakes.Bullying is terrible and no person should have to put up with it. There are indeed research that suggests that bullying destroys a person emotionally, leading to increased violence and many school shootings and suicides. This is my beginning argument.
MassiveDump

Pro

I will assume the first round is for acceptance.

Good luck.
Thelizard57

Con

Bullying, to be clear, is the recurrent harm of someone through physical and verbal means. This debate will be focusing on schools. Over 3.2 million children are victims of bullying every year and 90 percent of 4th through 8th graders say they have been bullied. Over 56 percent of all students have seen clear instances of bullying and 10 percent of kids drop out of school to avoid bullies. This is an unacceptable trend to the reasoning of that someone's education should not be in jeopardy because of someone wants to feel empowered and that people who have valuable skills to offer to the world don't because bullies have destroyed their confidence. Suicide rates have skyrocketed among teens, with over 4,400 deaths a year. Over 7 percent of all high school students have tried to commit suicide. In short, bullying has harmful effects on everyone who is connected to both bullies and victims.

my sources
http://www.bullyingstatistics.org...

http://www.dosomething.org...
MassiveDump

Pro

Clarification

In his last argument, Con stated, "...bullying has harmful effects on everyone who is connected to both bullies and victims." In reading so, and seeing no evidence of a different resolution, I will assume that this is the resolution of the debate.

Invalidity of My Opponent's Statistics

My opponent made the claim that one in every ten students drop out of high school because of being bullied. The following quote from USA Today in January 2013 explains why this is false:

"The national high school dropout rate fell to 3.4% (514,238 students), down from 4.1% the previous year. That's the lowest it's been since at least 2002-03."
[http://www.usatoday.com...]

The article goes on to mention that even in the state of Arizona, the state with the highest dropout rate is only 7.8%. So the question is: how can one tenth of students be dropping out because of being bullied, if one tenth of students aren't even dropping out?

Perhaps my opponent would state that the source means, "1 in 10 of students who drop out do so because of bullying, and that would be nice and relevant. But that's not what the article says. It just says that one in every ten students drop out because of bullying.

So, the accuracy of the arguments my opponent makes is questionable. But even if these statistics were true...

My Opponent Has Not Met the Terms of His Resolution

The resolution, once again:

"Bullying has harmful effects on everyone who is connected to both bullies and victims."

Guide your eyes to the words "everyone" and "connected" for a second.

First of all, my opponent provides no clarification what he means by people who are "connected" to bullies and victims. A semantics fan would argue he meant physically "connected". A common person would say that "connected" means friends and family of bullies and victims. Heck, Mufasa teaches that everything is connected. So what does he mean?

Let's assume for a moment that he means the common person definition, as it's the most logical. My opponent would be arguing that bullying has harmful effects on all friends and family of the bullies and the victims. The victim? Maybe. The friends and family of the victim? Maybe. The bully? Sure, why not.

But this is where the word "everyone" comes in. "Everyone" would include the friends and family of the bullies as well, and my opponent has done nothing to prove how.

Therefore, my opponent has not met his burden of proof, has used innacurate statistics for his sources, and all after offering a vague resolution in the firts place.

Vote Pro.
Thelizard57

Con

Thank you pro for the excellent argument. This being my first debate and i'm learning much already. Perchance I did not specify certain points in my argument and yes, my argument had terrible structure. Let me "clear up any confusion" as it were. Indeed I meant that 10 percent of high school students who drop out do so because of bullying. Yes I did not meet my resolution well and the "everyone" part of it was not well researched and poorly said. Forgive me for such dumb mistakes. Moving on to my rebuttal and argument. Pro finds many things wrong with my argument, yet I notice that he is not defending the heinous act that is bullying. Moreover, he does not add any statement that would seem to say that bullying is somehow not a problem or that it is not a terrible act to commit. 71 percent of students who are bullied say that it is an ongoing problem and a study at Yale has reported that the total number of adolescent suicides has increased by 50 percent in 30 years. There is evidence that due to cyber bullying, bullying has increased and according to Harvard medical school, physiological effects are severe. This would indeed mean increased amount of kids are committing suicide due to bullying. A solution to this problem would be teaching kids to when kids say and do mean things to them and to ignore them and to add punishment to those who do bully other kids. My thoughts and sympathies to those who are bullied.

Vote con!

my sources

http://www.health.harvard.edu...

http://www.bullyingstatistics.org...
MassiveDump

Pro

The Resolution:
As Pro, I resolve that bullying does not have a negative effect on everyone connected to both the bullies and the victims.

"Yes I did not meet my resolution well and the "everyone" part of it was not well researched and poorly said."

...says my opponent, without providing a new resolution to go by. Because my opponent has not provided a different resolution is round, I am binding his original resolution to him for the rest of this debate, as changing it in round four or five would be unfair.

My opponent still has to prove what he said he would: That bullying has a negative effect on everyone who is connected to both the bullies and the victims. See contention three where I explain how he is not doing so, and therefore losing the debate.

The Inaccurate Sources

"I meant that 10 percent of high school students who drop out do so because of bullying."

This is not an argument that my opponent can defend, as his source says, word for word, that "one in ten students drop out due to bullying." Until my opponent can find a statistic that proves what he's saying, his burden of proof is not met.

Not Meeting Terms of His Resolution

"I notice that he is not defending the heinous act that is bullying."

Perhaps. But I have never been explicitly told by Con that "Bullying is bad." If that were his resolution, I would defend it with "Bullying is good." But that is not the case. In the following instance, I have gone this entire debate defending the resolution at the top of this argument.

"71 percent of students who are bullied say that it is an ongoing problem and a study at Yale has reported that the total number of adolescent suicides has increased by 50 percent in 30 years."

71% is not everyone. This, if anything, is proof that not everyone is negatively affected by bullying. at least 29% are not. Once again, Con deteriorates his own resolution.

"There is evidence that due to cyber bullying, bullying has increased and according to Harvard medical school, physiological effects are severe."

On everyone connected to the bullies? That seems a bit far-fetched.

"This would indeed mean increased amount of kids are committing suicide due to bullying."

Everyone connected to the bullies are committing suicide? That seems a bit far-fetched.

"My thoughts and sympathies to those who are bullied."

Mine too. But that is not the premise of this debate.

---

Bottom Line:
Con bit off more than he can chew with his original resolution, and did not state a new one in this round. Bound by the unspoken "no more in the 'four'" rule, it is too late for him to make a new one.

See resolution at top if you're confused.

Vote Pro.
Thelizard57

Con

Thelizard57 forfeited this round.
MassiveDump

Pro

I will allow my opponent to respond before furthering my argument.

In the meantime, cats.

;
Thelizard57

Con

Thelizard57 forfeited this round.
MassiveDump

Pro

Disregarding the forfeit, here's what my opponent has done wrong:

First off, the resolution at the top was simply "bullying." This could mean anything, so I interpreted the resolution to mean what he stated in round one.

Second, he did not acknowledge my arguments, but rather claimed I made none because they were not within his own defined perameters.

Finally, after disregarding my arguments entirely, he continued to argue a claim that I neither asserted nor denied.

On top of all this, Con forfeited.

---

I thank my opponent for this debate, and ask anyone wanting to start a debate of their own to please, please make the resolution a sentence. Not a question, not a single word, but a sentence. Because that's what debating is.
Posted by MassiveDump 2 years ago
MassiveDump
You too.

Off the record, I used quite a lot of ill logic to make up for my unbalanced stance. If I hadn't scared you off, you might still have gotten some votes.
Posted by Thelizard57 2 years ago
Thelizard57
I would like to thank Massivedump for the debate. I guess it has been said that the first time you try something, you get your butt kicked. This would certainly hold true here. I would like to say that I respect Massivedump and the people who voted for their honest feedback. Many thanks, and the best of luck to you Massivedump.
Vote Placed by TUF 3 years ago
TUF
Thelizard57MassiveDumpTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con needed to make a more elaborate title, properly explaining his position in more detail, especially in his opening arguments. He needs to be more specific, and not leave things open to interpretation, and then properly define it in later rounds after the Pro's already had a chance to argue. While the point was vaguely open to interpretation, Pro had every right to argue the points he did, and found excellent flaws in statistics. Forfeits aside, this was a pro win.
Vote Placed by TheGhostOfFreedom 3 years ago
TheGhostOfFreedom
Thelizard57MassiveDumpTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited. Pro made decent arguments.