can God make a rock so big he can't lift it? my answer - no.

in response to the classic paradox... can God make a rock so big that he cannot answer it? if you say yes he can make the rock... then he must be limited in that he can't lift it. if he can't make the rock... then he must be limited in that he can't make the rock.

the reason i say no.

this is akin to asking. can the unlimited limit itself? by definition it is unlimited, so the answer is no. then we approach the other end... is the fact that the unlimited being unable to limit itself, then a limitation on the unlimited? as a play on words only... the unlimited cannot contradict itself by limiting the unlimited.. it can't limit itself. it's a play on words, like, can a square be a circle? no, cause it's a square. our langauge is builty upon concepts that have limits... but we're not accustomed to concepts that don't have limits, or the "limits" on things that we might say are unlimtied. we're used to using limtied language to describe things, but it doesn't work right with the unlimited, as it's is contradictory to the natuire of the unlimited.

Thank you for the opportunity to debate this subject.

The resolution: God cannot make a rock so big that he is unable to lift it.

My Opponent asserts that due to divinities omnipotence, that by definition, it cannot limit itself; it can do anything it wills. I will demonstrate that this is false. I will show that divinity can enact rules that it must abide by, or that are self-limiting, and cannot be abated by omnipotence.

And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.”[1]

“By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.”[2]

“Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”[3]

“The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” [4]

There are a number of things that God cannot do, he cannot in certain occasion defeat iron chariots, cannot work for 7 straight days, and even requires rest. Can God make a soul that he cannot save? Indeed he can.

I apologize for the shortness of my first argument; I had mistaken the time allotted to present it. I will ensure I’m better prepared for the next round.

I said God cannot make the rock. that means i am acknowledging there are things that God cannot do. for you to simply show more things God cannot do, is not being contrary to me, as is the purpose of debate.

God is unlimited except so far as he does things that are contrary to his nature, to the laws of logic (making a square circule etc) etc. the examples you pointed out would be things that are of his nature.
also i had been hoping to debate someone using more rote logic, not religious texts or religious ideas. religion is too all over the place. but oh well, it is what it is.

I would again like to thank my opponent for the interesting debate.

My opponent has not refuted my contentions. Pro has made the argument that God cannot make a rock he cannot lift, without any evidence to support it, upon the assertion that it is contrary to his nature.

It needs to be clarified how an omnipotent God cannot make a rock he cannot lift. If he can create souls he cannot save, why couldn’t he then create unliftable rocks?

“The LORD said to Moses, "When you return to Egypt, see that you perform before Pharaoh all the wonders I have given you the power to do. But I will harden his heart so that he will not let the people go.”[1]

God can even give man free will, and override it.

If you’ve asked me to demonstrate that god can do things that god cannot do (or vise versa), I think I’ve done so.

dairygirl4u2c forfeited this round.

I would like to thank my opponent for the interesting debate topic. As my first debate

My opponent has not effectively argued that God cannot create a rock he cannot lift, and my arguments have been without rebuttal.
Posted by dairygirl4u2c 4 years ago
'it's a play on words, like, can a square be a circle? no, cause it's a square. '

what should have said... can an omnipotent being, or something unlimited.... make a square circle? no, because that's inherently contradictory. is that then a limit on it being unlimited? you can call it that, but it's a play on words.
Posted by Foxgguy2001 4 years ago
I accept and thank my opponent for the opportunity to debate this subject. I am eager to begin debating and voting within this community. Good luck dairygirl4u2c.
Posted by Awesome-Sauce 4 years ago
"can a square be a circle? no cause it's a square"

A square is NOT a circle???? What is this madness?!?!?!

*mind blows up*
Vote Placed by Wallstreetatheist 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: FFFFFF