can a movie adaptation be as good as the books?

Started: 2/23/2014 Category: Movies

Okay I'll start it with this:

Movie adaptations in very amazing. I mean they can interpret what the books are saying. BUT NOT ALL. They can't reach the expectations of the readers. Most of the readers are very happy when their favorite book is change into a movie but when they watch it they will be disappointed because the movie did not say all the events in the book. They'll just cut and cut the parts of the book.

Books also are more detailed than movies. People can completely know what the speakers is thinking. People will just be upset when they watch a particular movie adaptation. They'll just ask "where is the part where.." or "why didn't they add the part where..." Also, people can't completely understand what the actors/actresses are saying unlike in books. They will also learn new words in books which they can add in their vocabularies.

Thanks to my opponent for providing an interesting topic to debate.

I will begin with a definition of a book, as this is relevant to the debate.
Book: a written or printed work consisting of pages glued or sewn together along one side and bound in covers.(1)

The opening arguments presented by my opponent are often cited by critics of movie adaptations of books. However, there are movie adaptations of books which stick strictly to the book in every possible way. In fact these adaptations are word for word what is written in the book. The adaptations are adaptations of plays which by definition are books.

As such every argument my opponent has presented fails.

Some perfect adaptations of books into movies are in the following very short list:
Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare.(2)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show by Richard O'Brien.(3)
Chicago by Maurine Dallas Watkins.(4)
Phantom of the Opera by Andrew Lloyd Webber.(5)

Additionally, every movie script is a book by definition. As almost every script is filmed word for word, this is a perfect adaptation of a book. Hence, this is a second example of how a book can be adapted into movie with not losing anything in its adaptation from paper to film.

With that I hand the debate back to my opponent.

genynnninay forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeited.

As such all my arguments go uncontested and I extend them.

Back over to my opponent.

genynnninay forfeited this round.

Oh well, I guess I win.
Posted by AizenKnaik 2 years ago
In my opinion, I think it depends on the genre of the book which is being adapted or was adapted into a movie. For example, if it is a realistic love story, then I think the director as well as the whole cast of that particular movie will be able to portray it tantamount to the book. On the contrary, if the book's genre for example falls under adventure or the like, then I doubt if they would be able to make it as good as the book. Basically, the use of the special effects would make that hard for them to do it considering the expectations of the reader of that particular book. And also, prior to all of that, people imagine different things in reading. It could be that I imagine things this way and then my friend see it the other way. Similarly, it could be that the scriptwriter or the author itself see it this way but I imagine it to be the other way. What I'm trying to say is, there is no really precise portrayal of the book. It merely depends on how the person or group of persons think of it and put it for portrayal.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 2 years ago