creationismisright
Ozzyhead

can you be a christian and an atheist at the same time?

Ozzyhead

creationismisright

Con

i believe you can not be a christian and an atheist at the same time pro will be for you can be an atheist and a christian at the same time my opponent will start off this debate
Ozzyhead

Pro

In many people's eyes, being a Christian is following the teachings of Christ. It is possible to follow the teachings of Christ and not believe in God, or any god for that matter. Although personal experiences does not count as evidence, I know a few people who do not believe in God, but follow the teachings of Christ. And the teachings of Christ were that of love and care.
creationismisright

Con

completely wrong god says 6 days evolution says billions of years. the meaning of atheism is to not believe in god they are total opposites!
Ozzyhead

Pro

Following the she teachings of Christ seems to be enough for some to accept someone else as a Christian. What defines a true Christian? Well, since so many people give different answers to the question that you can't really define it. You can also believe in God and follow Christ and not be a Christian.
The teachings of Christ were love and care and respect for your fellow man and your elders.
People follow Christ's teachings and even do so in churches, yet they don't necessarily believe in God, at least not in the same way as a person who identifies with a specific church. Until a solid definition of Christian is made, no one can claim what a Christian truly is. Usually when a group of people agree on a definition of a word, then it is usually accepted as correct. God
Group's of people agree upon the definition of Christian that I gave, so therefore, the definition that I have presented is just as viable as my opponent's definition.
Since there is no set structure to this debate, I find it only fair to hold rebuttals until the next round. In the next round, I plan to deconstruct my opponent's initial argument and second round argument. I will save round 4 for my response to my opponent's rebuttals to my arguments
creationismisright

Con

the teachings of Christ are also to love him and only him. and also if you are an atheist it means not to believe in god like i have said
Ozzyhead

Pro

You can also choose to love Christ and believe that Christ was not the incarnation of God. Atheism is just the lack of believe in a god. There are Christians who do not believe Christ is the incarnation of God. So, if you follow and love him, then you can consider yourself a Christian. It takes very little to consider yourself a Christian because there is no solid definition. I personally do not accept the teachings of Christ and I do not believe in any god, so I am atheist and not a Christian. I do not agree that I shall love and follow only one being. Not what the debate is about, though. Until the definition of a Christian is "a person who follow the teachings of Christ and believe in God" then it is okay to say that an atheist can be a Christian. An atheist is purely the absence of a belief in a god or gods. Not the absence of belief in spirits or prophecies.
creationismisright

Con

ozzyhead there is the definition of Christianity here is the definition of atheism look at ALL the differences I bet you could find at LEAST 50

Jesus is god and that is where i stand it says in the definition of atheism that "(atheos), meaning "without god(s)", used as a pejorative term applied to those thought to reject the gods worshipped by the larger society."

notice the words REJECT god/s

atheism means there is no god not Buddha, not Jesus, not Allah. No gods at all. and just because someone acts like a Christian does not mean they are a Christian. they could be a Muslim for all we know

my argument stays you can not be a christian and an atheist at the same time Jesus said

Matthew 6:24

New International Version (NIV)

24 "No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money. "

money can be translated to atheism back to you ozzyhead
Ozzyhead

Pro

"Most Christians believe that Jesus is the Son of God," Found in the link provided talking about Christianity. First off, it says MOST. "Most" does not mean all. It also says that Jesus will reign WITH God, and you can't do something with yourself "The creeds further maintain that Jesus bodily ascended into heaven, where he reigns with God the Father.".
This is the list of what some say is required:
  • in God the Father, Jesus Christ as the Son of God and the Holy Spirit
  • the death, descent into hell, resurrection, and ascension of Christ
  • the holiness of the Church and the communion of saints
  • Christ's second coming, the Day of Judgement and salvation of the faithful.
However, there are many of Christians who do not believe in hell, so if it is okay for that to slip away, then there is nothing stopping the others from slipping away.

This is probably the part that my opponent is talking about:
While there have been many theological disputes over the nature of Jesus over the earliest centuries of Christian history, Christians generally believe that Jesus is God incarnate and "true God and true man" (or both fully divine and fully human). Jesus, having become fully human, suffered the pains and temptations of a mortal man, but did not sin. As fully God, he rose to life again. According to the Bible, "God raised him from the dead",[39] he ascended to heaven, is "seated at the right hand of the Father"[40]and will ultimately return[Acts 1:9–11] to fulfill the rest of Messianic prophecy such as the Resurrection of the dead, the Last Judgment and final establishment of the Kingdom of God.

It says "Christians generally believe that Jesus is God Incarnate" however, it does not say that it is a requirement to be a Christian. In fact, it actually contradicts an earlier statement that Jesus will reign WITH God, which implies they are two different beings.

Being an atheist is the absence of a belief in God. My opponent gave definitions of Christianity, but, and I'm not saying Wikipedia is bad, but Wikipedia gave definitions that even some churches disagree with, so obviously, Wikipedia is not the source that should have been used.
I enjoyed this debate. Thank you
Posted by creationismisright 3 years ago
creationismisright
jaisoncruz you asked a question so i answered it
Posted by Christian_Debater 3 years ago
Christian_Debater
Thats besides the obvious that other people have stated =/
Posted by Christian_Debater 3 years ago
Christian_Debater
Just saying Ozzyhead, by saying this, "It is possible to follow the teachings of Christ and not believe in God, or any god for that matter" is impossible.

I have a Bible quote for it, but since the debate isn't finished, I'll wait to send you it.
Posted by JaisonCruz 3 years ago
JaisonCruz
Pro, your round two argument isn't even an argument.
Posted by JaisonCruz 3 years ago
JaisonCruz
Posted by thesupporter 3 years ago
thesupporter
Cough cough WHAT
FACEPALM
Posted by FrankTheBob 3 years ago
FrankTheBob
This is a stupid question. If you are an Atheist, you can't be a Christian unless your a closet Atheist.
Posted by Alchestbreach 3 years ago
Alchestbreach
Dude what kind of question is that? Atheism by definition is someone who doesn't believe in a deity or deities, so by definition it is impossible. I would laugh so hard if someone actually thought that would be logical!
Posted by Chimera 3 years ago
Chimera
This all depends on what your definition of 'God' is.
Posted by iOS 3 years ago
iOS
Is this not Truism?
Vote Placed by William.Burnham 3 years ago
William.Burnham
creationismisrightOzzyheadTied
Reasons for voting decision: It just seams like con didn't care enough to even use proper grammar. Who doesn't have five seconds to capitalize letters?
Vote Placed by Seeginomikata 3 years ago
Seeginomikata
creationismisrightOzzyheadTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro, I don't know why you accepted this debate. This is not an opinion, it is fact, decided by hard definitions. Since con stated the facts, I have no choice but to recognize the con as correct. For the record, Con, the god of Islam and Christianity are the same god, just under different names. French people and Germans don't have a different god just because they don't call god "god". In French it's "Dieux", German "Gott", Arabic "Allah". Just wanted to clear that up.