Tommy.leadbetter
ambivalentsoul

cannabis

ambivalentsoul

Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

cannabis should be legalized and should not have been illegal in the first place.
ambivalentsoul

Con

Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

I would like to ask you to open up this debate as I believe in the notion of 'innocent until proven guilty'. One has a right to pick a leaf of a plant and eat it or smoke it in this world, at least in this so called free society. So for me to pick that leaf and eat or smoke it, is no one else's business. This is true is it not? Any action is free unless it is written in law. So I don't know why one would have to explain why they should be allowed to eat/smoke this leaf, as it is obvious to any sane person why they are allowed. I don't ask why people why they should be allowed to walk their dogs, drink tea or empty their bins do I? Because its intuitive that one has freedom in this society. I belive that it is your duty to argue why you belive it is right to throw people in jail, squander peoples futures, take children from loving parents, force people out of their jobs and cause them distress, more than its my duty to explain why one doesn't deserve this for smoking/eating a plant.

Indeed I need to know why one would actually think it should be illegal in order to argue as I don't know where to start because there is indeed nothing to defend to a logical person !

Thank you
ambivalentsoul

Con

I understand your point "one has a right to pick a leaf of a plant and it or smoke it in this world", but when we are referring to this specific plant, it's different. Most people who do weed abuse it, would you agree? They use excuses like "Oh, it's just a plant it's not going to hurt me in any way, it's not affecting my physical health." and while that may be true to an extent, weed takes over your brain, making daily tasks a hassle. It can affect your learning ability, sometimes in the long run, it can affect your driving, and even physical activity.

Weed has become somewhat of a bandwagon appeal. People think it's "cool" and that if you don't do it you're uncool. Yes, I understand that there are people who don't think that way and they only do it every once in a while for personal purposes, but I know plenty of people who are addicted to it. Which leads me to my next points. IT IS ADDICTIVE. If you are a long-term marijuana user, it can get very addictive. People have difficulty controlling their drug use and cannot stop even though it interferes with many aspects of their lives.

Within a few minutes after inhaling marijuana smoke, an individual's heart rate speeds up. Within an hour of smoking marijuana you are four times more likely to suffer a heart attack. Your heart rate speeds up about 20-50 beats per minute,

Consequences of Marijuana Abuse:

Acute (present during intoxication):

Impairs short-term memory
Impairs attention, judgment, and other cognitive functions
Impairs coordination and balance
Increases heart rate
Psychotic episodes

Persistent (lasting longer than intoxication, but may not be permanent):

Impairs memory and learning skills
Sleep impairment

Long-term (cumulative effects of chronic abuse):

Can lead to addiction
Increases risk of chronic cough, bronchitis
Increases risk of schizophrenia in vulnerable individuals
May increase risk of anxiety, depression, and amotivational syndrome
Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

Tommy.leadbetter forfeited this round.
ambivalentsoul

Con

ambivalentsoul forfeited this round.
Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

Okay I will await your next response
ambivalentsoul

Con

ambivalentsoul forfeited this round.
Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

... Hope everything is ok, thank you for the debate, hopefully we can try this again.
ambivalentsoul

Con

ambivalentsoul forfeited this round.
Posted by Tommy.leadbetter 2 years ago
Tommy.leadbetter
Psychotic episodes are fun and quite rare, only happen to people who are susceptible. Also the worst psychotic episodes are merely scary and results from smoking too much.

Impairs memory and learning skills
Sleep impairment

Can lead to addiction

The argument that is causes schizophrenia is flawed because no half decent proof can be found. Cannabis can often seem like the cause of things that are actually much more subtle and complex.

Depression, anxiety and lack of motivation are personality traits that are shaped by our experiences, weed does not and could not cause these things at all. They merely facilitate a lifestyle that can lead to these things but this is the fault of society not the weed.

My point is, how can one allow sweets, bad food, alcohol, gambling, and tobacco and yet not allow cannabis? Furtheremore, one cannot argue that they are mearly tolerated because it would be to hard to get rid of them as they are glamorised and practically forced down people's throats! So I would like to ask you, would make these things illegal? So I can understand your motives and moral philosophy.

Thank you for your patience, I really had problems that could not be ignored. Thank you
Posted by Tommy.leadbetter 2 years ago
Tommy.leadbetter
These are your claims about the effects of marijuana.

Impairs short-term memory
Impairs coordination and balance
Increases heart rate
Psychotic episodes

Impairing short term memory whilst temporarily high is not a problem, because people expect these effects when recreationally using drugs. Alcohol does the same and worse. Same goes for the impairs attention, judgment and other cognitive functions. Although I must add that this is not entirely accurate. To say in impairs attention is absolutely false, indeed it can have the opposite effect. It may impair attention to certain, non stimulating tasks, and it depends on the mood. But being high can make you focus on things that a sober person may tire of, I know this from my own experience. To say it impairs judgement is inaccurate, I think it changes perception and thus effects judgement. For everybody I know who is a smoker, they agree that getting high makes you realise your negativity and humble yourself when in conflict. If I argue with my girlfriend and believe I am right, I can become stubborn. but I know that once I have smoked, I forget my stubbornness and really understand the position my girlfriend is in. Now you will be dubious about this I understand. But I am talking from the perspective of someone who has used cannabis for years and no many people who smoke it from all different walks of life. I know some that are agoraphobic, some gangsters, others gone overboard, those who have quit, and those who are heavy smokers and who are fine. So I have seen how cannabis works and more importantly, how people respond to cannabis, including the best specimen-my own self. So judgement can be improved as cannabis has an effect that makes you see the world in a slightly different way that may result in a more rational view. ....
Posted by Tommy.leadbetter 2 years ago
Tommy.leadbetter
got to wait until tomorrow very tired
Posted by Tommy.leadbetter 2 years ago
Tommy.leadbetter
Bandwagon appeal? People do it because they think it makes them cool? Have you ever seen a beer advert? Or a gambling advert? or a sweet advert? if your answer is yes I don't think I need to say any more.

Also weed is not addictive. Not at all. Indeed addiction is in the personality and so no substance its in itself addictive, it is the response of the human that is addictive of not. We all shop, sip alcohol, smoke a cigarette, work, yet most don't get addicted. So its in the person, not the action. Indeed some substances do have qualities that, if taken regularly, will have physical side effects when missed, but cannabis is not one! Caffeine and alcohol are though! It is only the routine that becomes addictive and this does not happen because of weed, it is because of problems in the person that lead them to rely on weed so much. And one of the main reasons why it effects life is because its illegal. Speaking from experience, the only reason I am hindered and excluded when using weed is because you don't know how people will react. So when everybody is drunk and I just want to be high I feel like a druggy asking if people mind if I smoke a j. Whilst one of them is urinating in the fridge! no that's a joke but you get my picture. Weed doesn't seclude you, its a social drug. But when its illegal you have to seclude. Also this maybe why paranoia is so associated with cannabis smokers aswell haha

there is more ...
Posted by Tommy.leadbetter 2 years ago
Tommy.leadbetter
Okay I will do this paragraph by paragraph.

You say its different with this plant, what is different? (about any other thing we have)
you say most people who smoke weed are addicted aren't they? Well no, up to a 3rd of people in UK have tried cannabis and a third of people are not addicted to cannabis. So many can try it and smoke it recreationally without getting addicted as is seen.
For those who do smoke it daily, many would say it poses no problems, bar the obvious risks in inhaling burnt plant matter into the lungs. But many eat it.
You say weed smokers make up excuses for their behaviour, don't you? doesn't everybody who is doing behaviour that is undesirable (not revising for exams, eating too much, smoking, drinking, gambling, not getting exercise, no job, the list goes on) So we all make excuses, this doesn't say anything specific about cannabis.
You make claims about health issues related to cannabis use. Many of these studies use participants from the society at random sample. So they compare the weed smokers results to normal people. It is more likely that those who are less academically intelligent and socially 'low' will smoke weed and so the results are not valid. However even if cannabis smoking alone, and not the lifestyle that normally precedes it, caused these things-so do many other legal things. So do fatty foods. Also these things are not mealy tolerated, they are rewarded. There is no real evidence either that proves cannabis use alone does any of these things, though I don't deny it. The point is essentially, so what? Who's right is it to judge this?

Still more to come..
Posted by ambivalentsoul 2 years ago
ambivalentsoul
No Problem
Posted by Tommy.leadbetter 2 years ago
Tommy.leadbetter
I apologize for forfeiting the round, I had some issues at home that needed seeing too, do you mind if I post my argument in the comments?
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
Tommy.leadbetterambivalentsoulTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro provided the rhetoric of 'I can't think why we shouldn't be able to smoke it', and Con provided reasons as to why. Although Con's arguments were entirely uncited, Pro never pointed this out, or even addressed them. Pro forfeited first, but Con forfeited 3 rounds, so I think that conduct should go to Pro.