capital punishment is better alternative to life imprisonment

yes it is

I shall be arguing the benefits of life imprisonment, over the current implementation of capital punishment.

Shall this argument be assumed to be U.S. death penalty, or did you have another nation in mind?

Also may we agree to define death penalty as "The legally authorized killing of [the convicted] as punishment for a crime," as opposed to someone committing suicide by cop, or otherwise dying in such a way that was not officially assigned by the court?

Capital punishment is the death penalty given by the government of a country, to people who have committed hideous crimes like homicide, rape, etc. Death penalty has been a way of punishing people since ages. Although there are some countries that have abolished death penalty from their law, there are still many which still practice the act of killing a person for crime. Death penalty is prevalent in the US, Asian and Middle Eastern countries. Some of the ways of executing criminals are hanging, shooting, electrocution and giving lethal injections.

People have different opinions on the issue of death penalty given to a convict. While some think that death penalty is necessary for those who have committed a terrible crime, there are others who consider it as an immoral act that goes against the values of humanity.

1.A person who has committed a crime like killing or raping another person should be given death penalty, which is as severe punishment as the act. It is said that when a criminal is given a death penalty, it dissuades others in the society from committing such serious crimes. They would refrain from such crimes due to fear of losing their lives. This would definitely help in reducing crime rate in society.
2.If a criminal is jailed, he may again commit the same crime after being released from prison. Giving him death penalty would make sure that the society is safe from being attacked by criminals. It seems to be an appropriate punishment for serial killers and for those who continue to commit crimes even after serving imprisonment.
3.Some believe that instead of announcing life imprisonment for the convicts, where they would have to live a futile life behind closed bars, it is better to kill them. It is said that imprisoning someone is more expensive than executing him. Rather than spending on a person who may again commit terrifying crime, it is better to put him to death.
4.Death penalty is equated as revenge for pain and suffering that the criminal inflicted on the victim. Some people strongly believe that a person who has taken the life of another person does not have a right to live. Sentencing such a criminal can give relief to the family members of the victim that their loved one has obtained justice.
5.It is also important for the safety of fellow prison inmates and guards, as people who commit horrifying crimes like murder are believed to have a violent personality and may, in future, attack someone during imprisonment. These reasons emphasize the importance of death penalty for the safety and betterment of human society.

Thank you for the PM reply, in future please respond to questions from the argument in the argument to decrease voter confusion. Also please write your own argument for round 3, instead of copy/pasting a section of one found at as you did for round 2 (1).

Key problems with the death penalty:
  1. "It's too lenient. There's always the possibility of reincarnation." -comedian David Rasche (2).
  2. It is applied with inequity. When O.J. Simpson was accused of a double murder, he fled with a powerful hand gun, a large sum of cash, and a ready disguise. Having massive amounts of money to put into the legal system saved his life.
  3. It is far too often the innocent convicted. Take the recent Amanda Knox trial (3). A woman accused of murder and presented to the jury with many Ad Hominem attacks, two years later acquitted, and now Italy wants her back for a third trial. This proves a lack of reliability in the system, which has deadly results if the death penalty is used.
  4. Further inequality via politics. Take The Guildford Four (likely best known for the movie In The Name Of The Father), where police literally labeled evidence not to be shown to the defence. After his release eventual, one survivor stated "they gave me £546,000 - for taking me, torturing me and framing me; taking my father, torturing him and having him die in prison; then leaving me sinking in the quicksand of my own nightmares" (4).

Expanding #4 above: If the defense in any trial is denied access to key details, those who know of this denial are involved in the fate of the accused. If any of the accused are falsely convicted and die early (for the sake of fairness, we can lower this standard to "are executed"), those involved in the framing are now guilty of knowing involvement in a murder (I shall not accuse the executioner). A prosecutor who finds a key fact for the defense, but withholds it is also guilty of murder should the innocent accused die as a result of their manipulation of the system to secure a win.

We know this abuse of the system is regular, even if usually less public. How often is someone found to have framed someone else of a third-party crime, sentenced even equal to the punishment of their victim(s)?

Thank you for finding out my mistake and i would never
repeat it.
As my opponent has posted his argument with problems related to death penalty i will rephrase them with advantages or answers.

1. I think the reason to support the death penalty is because it saves other people’s lives.-george bush

2.Thought o j simpson had massive amount of he was awarded a penalty of 33 years injail.

3.You have given the eg of amanda knox trial just take the eg of 26/11 attacks in mumbai,india the supreme court of india upheld the death sentence of the convicted ajmal amir kasab and he was hanged which was a relief to the people of the families due to which their loved ones were killed.

4.Death penalty not only gives relief to families of the victims but also gives justice and a feeling of happiness.

No new points shall be brought in by me, and replies shall be short(ish).

1. Good job catching the quote one funny-man, and responding with one from (arguably) another.

3. Regarding the 2008 Mumbai attacks; it is a rather complex issue due to Pakistan's connection (1, a small sample of how complex it is). Ajmal Kasab had no defense lawyer, was a foreign national, and was hired to do it making him an enemy combatant. He stated "I was promised that once they knew that I was successful in my operation, they would give 150,000 rupees (around $3,352), to my family" (2). How enemy combatants are dealt with, has little relevance to the regular criminal who may either be executed or receive life in prison.

4. "a feeling of happiness" would be a terrible reason to execute even the worst criminal, doubly so if there is a chance of them being falsely accused (my point four dealt directly with convicts who were framed).

Thank you for the debate. I will not claim there is never a time to execute a convict, but in most cases I cannot trust the current powers that be with it.

Vote Placed by imabench 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: countering the retard
Vote Placed by qopel 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: cvb
Vote Placed by jackintosh 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Your completely copied someone else work! that right there is a lack of ability to think for yourself. And then when you tried you quote GW? You have got to be kidding me! Societies level or rectitude has to be better than the individual desire for revenge, for if it were not humanity would be devoid of righteousness.
Vote Placed by JonMilne 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con went into considerably more detail about his argument and made a far more convincing case that life imprisonment was better, especially due to his excellent point about how statistically, too often it is in fact the innocent who get sentenced to death. Con also used sources where Pro didn't, so Con wins in that category too.