sport
codemeister13

caste schedule is right or wrong

codemeister13

sport

Con

caste is biggest problem for education
codemeister13

Pro

I would like to accept this debate. Thank you to my opponent for the opportunity to debate this.

For the sake of this debate, I would like to define "caste" as the following:

Caste: the system of dividing society into hereditary classes.

Seeing as this is a system implemented in India, I am also running on the presumption that we shall keep the scope of this debate focused on the caste system in India. Seeing as my opponent has taken the side stating that "caste is biggest problem for education," the burden of proof shall fall upon him to prove his statement that it is, indeed, the biggest problem for education in the Indian nation.

I look forward to my opponent's opening remarks and wish him the best of luck.

http://prntscr.com...
sport

Con

sport forfeited this round.
codemeister13

Pro

Caste is most certainly not the biggest problem to face education in India. In fact, education is, on balance, not a problem for the people of India. As of 2011, the average literacy rate throughout India was 74.04%. In fact, in some areas of the country, such as Kerala, Lakshadweep, and Mizoram, the literacy rate is up above 90%. [1]

I understand that some may be sitting there wondering what that has to do with the caste system in India. Well, should we look at some of the programs and laws that India has put in place since the caste system, we will notice that it allows a sort of "equal opportunity" for all folks, regardless of their socio-economic status. India has implemented countless affirmative action programs to help improve upon their students' learning and allow folks of lower social classes to progress in society. I would like to urge you to read the second source (noted down below) for further information on this topic, as I have a very limited time to write this constructive. [2]

Personally, I would argue that gender bias creates a larger problem for the educational system in India than that of the caste system. The following excerpt is taken from an article of The Guardian:
"Meena (not her real name) didn't tell her parents when the older boys started harassing her on the hour-long walk to school from her home in Madanpur Khadar, south Delhi " grabbing her hand and shouting 'kiss me' " because she knew she would get the blame, as if she had somehow encouraged them. She was right: when her family found out, they banned her from going back to school, worried about the effect on their 'honour' if she was sexually assaulted. The plan now is to get her married. She is 16." [3]

It is this kind of idea of familial "honor" and worry about what women may do with their lives to dishonor their family that is impeding education of the population. A paper by Dharam Pal Chaudhri (Monash University) and Raghbendra Jha (Australian National University) can be found listed as the fourth note/source to support my claims on gender bias. Again, usually I would be much more thorough with my arguments but this 15 minute time limit does have me in a bit of a crunch to grab sources and write arguments.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://online.wsj.com...
[3] http://www.theguardian.com...
[4] http://papers.ssrn.com...
sport

Con

sport forfeited this round.
codemeister13

Pro

Seeing as my opponent has offered no constructive or rebuttal, at this time I would like to extend my arguments from the previous round.

Thank you to my opponent for the wonderful debate and I shall now pass this off to the voters.
Posted by dawndawndawndawn 2 years ago
dawndawndawndawn
I want to accept your challenge but it is not clear if you are referring to the caste system in India or not
Vote Placed by Theunkown 2 years ago
Theunkown
sportcodemeister13Tied
Vote Placed by dawndawndawndawn 2 years ago
dawndawndawndawn
sportcodemeister13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I learned a few things that I did not know and verified a few that I did or guessed. I would, further, state that over-population si a terrible problem in India
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
sportcodemeister13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: eff eff
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
sportcodemeister13Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff