cats are better pets to have then dogs

first round is foacceptance

I thank my opponent for instigating this topic, and I accept this debate; however, before handing over the next round to my opponent, I would like to define several words that we will be using throughout the following rounds.

Dog: a domesticated canid, Canis familiaris, bred in many varieties [1]

Cat: a small domesticated carnivore, Felis domestica or F. catus, bred in a number of varieties [2]

Better: of superior quality or excellence [3]

Pet: any domesticated or tamed animal that is kept as a companion and cared for affectionately [4]

I, Pro, will be arguing that cats are better pets than dogs.

My opponent, Con, will be arguing that dogs are better pets than cats.

With that all said, I wish my opponent luck in the following rounds.

claudioleone1 forfeited this round.

1. Cats are not as expensive and do not require as much care as dogs.

Dogs are quite expensive animals that require extensive amounts of care in comparison to cats. For example, cats do not need to be washed very often, since they can clean themselves; however, dogs frequently need baths, which means that not only do they take up more of the owner’s time, they also cost more. When giving a dog a bath, the owner will need water, some form of soap or shampoo, a towel to dry the dog, and possibly a brush. All of these items cost money, which means that dogs cost more than cats.

Dogs also need frequent attention, unlike cats, which do not require as much attention since they are rather independent. This means that the owner must walk and play with his/her dog everyday in order to satisfy the dog’s needs; however, just like bathing, these activities do much more than simply take up your time. They also cost money. In order to walk a dog, the owner must buy a leash, collar, doggy bags, and possibly a harness. In order to play with the dog, the owner must buy numerous amounts of toys. While cats also need toys to play with, they do not need to be replaced as often, since dogs tend to chew and use their toys more frequently.

Dogs also generally take up more space, considering the average dog is generally larger than the average cat. This also means that dogs require more food. If the dog is too big, it may have to live outside, which means the owner must buy a dog house. Cats, on the other hand, almost always live inside (although, they do go outside frequently), which means that the owner does not have to buy shelter for their cat.

The last point of this argument is that dogs are much louder than cats, since most dogs have a tendency to bark. This may keep the owner awake as he/she is attempting to get a good night’s sleep, or it may annoy the neighbors who are attempting to go to sleep. Cats, on the other hand, simply make the occasional meow and they will sometimes purr. These noises are relaxing and soothing compared to the barking of a dog.

2. Cats are more polite to guests.

When having visitors, a dog may not be the best pet to have. Dogs will most likely bark, slobber, and jump all over the owner’s guests in excitement, and if there are small children around, then someone could possibly get hurt. Visitors generally do not appreciate a dog greeting them in this manner. In contrast, cats will most likely either watch from the sidelines or go up to the owner’s guests and give a nice purr. Visitors enjoy this kind of behavior much more than the way a dog greets them.

3. Dogs are more dangerous than cats.

Dogs have the potential to hurt not only the owner, but also others that live around the owner. This can become a problem and lead to a messy situation if the owner’s dog does hurt someone, whether it is accidental or intentional. There are approximately 4.5 million dog bite victims per year, and more than 350,000 victims from dog attacks are seen in emergency rooms [5]. Approximately 850,000 victims were required to see some form of medical attention [5].

I would list the amount of cat attacks per year as well; however, it seems that I could not find any statistics of cat attacks, since people are hardly going to go to an emergency room from a cat clawing them.

It is clear that dogs are much more dangerous than cats, which also means that they are much more dangerous pets to have around.

As I have shown in my arguments, dogs are much more expensive than cats and require much more attention as well. They tend to make your visitors and guests uncomfortable, whereas cats make them feel welcome. Lastly, dogs have been proven to be much more dangerous than cats. While dogs may seem to be good pets on the first glance, it is clear that cats are superior.

claudioleone1 forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeited yet again. He has not addressed any of my point nor has he made any arguments of his own; thus, I urge voters to vote Pro!
Vote Placed by Multi_Pyrocytophage 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: ...