max_p_robertson
wierdman

cats rather than dogs

max_p_robertson

Pro

I think that cats make better pets and animals than dogs.
I wish to find an opponent to witch I can debate with
wierdman

Con

I accept the challenge and look forward to the debate.
I urge that my opponent take this debate seriously in terms of argument and participation.
Good luck!
max_p_robertson

Pro

okay first
1) the average cat live longer than the average dog
2) cats cost less (including toys)
3) cats are funnier than dogs (just comparing I Can Has Cheese Burger to I Can Has Hot Dog)
4) cats clean themselves
5) cats don't need walking
6) litter box vs yard. litter box wins
wierdman

Con

Thank you for posting.

One of the greatest thing about dogs is the fact that their are different breeds. Each breed does not only act a certain way whether different or the same with other breeds, but they also have their own unique appearance. i understand that cats also have unique appearances, but these differences between breeds are not as drastic as that of a dog. If you look at a poodle and a pit bull, you can clearly see the differences, in behavior, appearance and intelligence. These dramatic differences allows for one to choose a dog that matches their personality. In agree that there are differences between species when it comes to cats, but we can all agree that these differences are not as drastic as that of dogs. Most cats act alike despite the fact that they look different.

http://www.iams.com...

Another great factor would be that dogs make great companions. Dogs are very very friendly towards there owner and since they share the same personality, seem to understand what mood their owners might be in. They are understanding and unlike cats, are very social animals. They possess the qualities that seem to lift the spirits of everyone around them. They are incredibly loyal unlike cats who seem to be more independent, rely on their owners for companionship. this relationship in time develops from a "owner/ pet" relationship to something much more, something we can all relate to as love, friendship and support.

http://juliesimba.com...

Great factor number three, they are great protectors. A dog could serve as your security. This is a trait that animals like cat lack. A dogs bark could be heard for miles unlike a cats meow. A dog would sacrifice its life just to save its owner (another trait a cat lacks). A dog senses are superb and could sense and warn its owner when danger approaches.

For any human been looking for a great companion, protector, loyal and honest animal, a dog is the best option.
max_p_robertson

Pro

with the last point you made "A dog would sacrifice its life just to save its owner" you are making a point that says that dogs are more selfless than selfish. One of the most important things in life to keep in mind is that you matter more to yourself than others. Dogs don't value themselves (witch I think proves cats are smarter) if what you are saying is true.

To "A dogs bark could be heard for miles unlike a cats meow" that's what I don't like about dogs. In the middle of some random night (burglar or not) WOOF WOOF WOOF!!!

one big reason CHOCOLATE

Both cats and dogs have great senses. Cats have more sensitive whisker's dog have a better sense of smell cats have better hearing

Dogs can easily kill people. Hipotheticly you're dog kills some one (pretend its a bigger breed) you're dog gets euthanized, and you forever have on you're mind "My dog killed some one"

pardon my rudeness on this next point

Congrats Mr Sherlock Holmes you figured out how many dog breeds their are. However you're not thinking about big cats (tigers and lions)(bears are not dogs)

Sry about that
any way, cats can clime trees. this only makes them better animals not pets

cats can make the most comforting sound in the world purring. Its like a fan helping you sleep

cats have vocabulary's 10 times that of a dogs

and you're point "They are incredibly loyal unlike cats who seem to be more independent, rely on their owners for companionship" maybe cats love you more than dogs but have an odd way of showing it. we shall never know

dogs have worse breath, and you CAN be too loyal.
wierdman

Con

"with the last point you made "A dog would sacrifice its life just to save its owner" you are making a point that says that dogs are more selfless than selfish. One of the most important things in life to keep in mind is that you matter more to yourself than others. Dogs don't value themselves (witch I think proves cats are smarter) if what you are saying is true."

My opponent seems to misunderstand the meaning of the word "selfless". The fact is that just because someone or something is selfless, does not mean that he, she or it does not value there own life, it simply means that he, she or it values the life and safety of its master so much as to sacrifice its own life.

"To "A dogs bark could be heard for miles unlike a cats meow" that's what I don't like about dogs. In the middle of some random night (burglar or not) WOOF WOOF WOOF!!!"

This statement is rather surprising as many people would appreciate the alarm. As for barking in the middle of the night, Its all about training. If you train a living thing whether a dog or human, it will act in accordance to its training. However, if you do not train it, then it will act according to what it believe to be natural behavior. (ex. Rebellious teenagers)

"Dogs can easily kill people. Hipotheticly you're dog kills some one (pretend its a bigger breed) you're dog gets euthanized, and you forever have on you're mind "My dog killed some one""

once again it comes down to training, if you train your dog or any pet for the matter, it will not attack anyone unless Threatening. If someone were break into your home and your dog kills the person, then it will not be sen as a crime because the dog was simply protecting both you and itself.

"Congrats Mr Sherlock Holmes you figured out how many dog breeds their are. However you're not thinking about big cats (tigers and lions)(bears are not dogs)"

This statement is irrelevant to this debate. When i stated the differences between different dog breeds, i did not mean wild dogs but rather domestic dogs. Unless my opponent can prove that there are drastic differences between cat breeds, then this statement will remain irrelevant which in turn would make his entire cas irrelevant to the debate.

"Sry about that
any way, cats can clime trees. this only makes them better animals not pets"

This is simply a trait. Dogs have a better defense mechanisms (bigger canines, claws and superior speed and size) which makes them better suited for survival (better animals.)

"cats can make the most comforting sound in the world purring. Its like a fan helping you sleep"

I highly doubt that cat would purr for the sole purpose of putting someone to sleep. In terms of sounds, dogs can howl which can be seen as a "majestic" sound.

'and you're point "They are incredibly loyal unlike cats who seem to be more independent, rely on their owners for companionship" maybe cats love you more than dogs but have an odd way of showing it. we shall never know"

This statement supports my case that cats are independent and cannot show there affection. This also means that the owners will never be able to tell if there cats love them or not.

"dogs have worse breath, and you CAN be too loyal.'

cats could have bad breaths too, its all about care.

In conclusion, dogs are superior to cats ion any manner possible which makes them in general better animals and pets.
max_p_robertson

Pro

Wow this was a great debate

now lets stop talking about cats and dogs and talk about how we both did in the debate

I noticed that you did not say any thing that directly makes cats less likable, but just what they don't have

you shoved some of my points aside for others (I did my best to address all you're points)

But you did write more and probably had better spelling

please vote for cats or dogs ONLY on what you read in this debate!!!

thank you
wierdman

Con

I thank my opponent for The debate round and hope to that we meet again.

"I noticed that you did not say any thing that directly makes cats less likable, but just what they don't have

you shoved some of my points aside for others (I did my best to address all you're points)"

I addressed all of your points as i see fit to. The problem is that you did not counter any of my point rather you disguised your failure to properly counter my points with more irrelevant argument.

Thank you for the argument and i urge you voters to vote con due to superior argument.
Posted by max_p_robertson 6 years ago
max_p_robertson
yes why?
Posted by wierdman 6 years ago
wierdman
why?
Posted by innomen 6 years ago
innomen
I hate it when debates like this make it to our home page.
Posted by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 6 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Nice debate. By the way, I hate dogs and pets of all kinds including cats, but dogs more.
Posted by poorenglishspeaker 6 years ago
poorenglishspeaker
I think dogs are practical animals for humanbeing,such as watchdogs,hunting dogs,dog sledges,police dogs,guide dogs and sniffer dogs.
It is important how to discipline dogs,otherwise they become naughty.
However,cats always make me feel easy when I am nervous.
They support me spiritually.

Thank you very much.
Vote Placed by Altilongitude 5 years ago
Altilongitude
max_p_robertsonwierdmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Con for the Sherlock Holmes comment.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 6 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
max_p_robertsonwierdmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Con because Pro was disparaging towards him calling him "Sherlock Holmes" among other things. SG to Con because Pro freely admits that Con had better spelling. Args to Con for showing that the utility of dogs is greater because they can protect humans. Sources to Con for using the only sources in this debate. Didn't want to give a 0-7 vote in a non-forfeited debate but in this case, I really had no choice.