desttoyer
dsjpk5

cell phones in school

dsjpk5
Started: 3/3/2017 Category: Economics

desttoyer

Con

Distraction: Since today"s cell phones have more than one application, students will always get distracted in the quest of trying to discover and try out new cell phone applications. Female students are more likely to get distracted by mobile applications like Pinterest.com, Facebook or twitter, then for the male students, they can get distracted by cell phone game applications or video streaming applications. This continuous distraction will affect a student"s concentration in the classroom, and it can also distract other students around them. At the end of the term these students will fail their exams because during classroom hours they where playing games or watching youtube.com videos.
Cheating of exams: Since student X was watching videos during classroom hours, when it comes to exam time, they will resort to cheating. So they can decide to scan their notes on their cell phones or use text messaging service to cheat exams. Then some students can Google exam questions and copy whatever they find online, and in most cases this data published online is not correct which results into exam failure.
According to my view, cell phones are more helpful to students. The two major cons ""Distraction & Cheating of exams "" can be controlled with strict guidelines on how and when to use cell phones in schools. Educators should not ban cell phones in schools, but they have to teach students on how to use cell phones to improve their grades, teachers can create some phone text based quizzes to ensure that students are always alert at all time in the classroom. A cell phone as a gadget is not bad, so we just have to find better ways of using it.
Harmful effects of digital devices: There are concerns from the EPA about long-term exposure to wireless devices and computer screens. While there is no direct evidence of harmful effects, the EPA would discourage too much exposure for students who have video screens in front of their faces or computers in their laps. If students frequently use these devices at home, additional exposure at school could be viewed as harmful.
Inappropriate materials: While schools can limit the availability of websites that can be viewed on their network, students may find links that slipped through the system. There will also be times that students will not be accessing the Internet through a monitored network.
Distraction from schoolwork: With the temptation of social media and texting in their hands, students may focus solely on their social life instead of the lesson plan.
Child predators and cyberbullying: Child predators are a problem everywhere. Using digital devices at school creates just that much more exposure and potential danger for students. In addition, cyber bullying is also an increasing issue. Permitting use of digital devices in the classroom could potentially lead to more of it.
Provide a "dis-connect": While some believe digital devices make for greater connections for students, there are those who believe too much time with digital devices provide a disconnect of students from face-to-face social activities, family communications and nature. Digital devices in the classroom would probably lead to an even greater such disconnection.
Even though there are many gains to giving a child a cell phone, there are just as many drawbacks. One big one is the prevalence of bullying. Technology can facilitate this behavior even more since the Internet enables users to comment anonymously and post messages that stay up "forever." Giving a kid a cell phone could be like giving them a loaded gun when it comes to being tormented"or even tormenting others"online.

Thirty-four percent of Niche high school and college students report having been through 5 or more cell phones in their lifetime, which means cell phones are being used at a very young age.
When a child is in school, his or her purpose there is to learn. Young people can be easily distracted from their studies - and having easy access to a mobile phone during class can make it easier for them to lose focus. If they become bored with the class material, it doesn't take much for them to take their cell phone to play some games or to check their newsfeed on Facebook or Twitter. How can you expect a child or teen to absorb the knowledge they need to learn if they're not even paying attention?
Obviously, kids won't be able to take out their cell phones and talk to one another in the classroom during an exam, but the concept of "passing notes" has stepped into the age of technology, thanks to text messaging. Texts can be sent quite discreetly while in the classroom. Taking it one step further, a student can excuse himself to go to the washroom, only to use that time to send text messages and leave voice mails.

It's also important to bear in mind that cell phones are advancing and improving faster than ever. Smartphones can surf the Web, providing high-tech ways for students to look for test answers online. Some models have advanced calculators, and depending on the software, may even be able to run custom applications that can contribute to academic dishonesty. The possibilities for cheating and copying are literally limitless when students have access to cell phones in class.
oung people can be very competitive, fighting for popularity among their peer group. This can manifest itself into stealing if a particular individual brings an especially expensive cell phone to school. The last thing you want to do is to tempt the would-be thieves by sending your child to school with a piece of equipment that make him or her a target. Lockers are more likely to be broken into, for example, if they know there is something of value in there.

Kids will be kids, so with hormones raging during their school days, there is a distinct possibility that some students may take pictures that they shouldn't be taking. Given that nearly every cell phone these days has a built-in digital camera, it becomes too easy to take a picture of someone without the person even noticing. These photos are also easily uploaded and shared over the Internet. Can you imagine the uproar if pictures were to arise of girls in the dressing room or boys in the locker room?
Many students use the internet or access social media sites without teacher or parent supervision. These students can be targeted by predators. Predators lurk in chat rooms, on social media sites and other websites that are of interest to students. With the use of smartphones and other devices, it can be hard to monitor a student's online activity.
dsjpk5

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for creating this debate.

PLAGIARISM

My opponent has plagiarized her entire first round argument from the following website:

http://www.useoftechnology.com...

I ask the voters to consider this when voting on this debate.
desttoyer

Con

in round 1 i didnt playderize my entire first round some of that i researched before i made this debate i only playderized the the cons from that website the rest i researched.
dsjpk5

Pro

So my opponent admits to some plagiarism, but I still contend all of it was a straight copy and paste. But don't take my word for it... besides the website I posted above, I ask the voters to compare what we see in round one with what they find on this website:

http://cellphones.lovetoknow.com...

Pay special attention to the paragraph that begins with "Kids will be kids."

I continue to await my opponent's first offering of original material. Once I have that, I will finally have something to rebut. I'm supposed to be debating her, not the authors of those two articles.
desttoyer

Con

in round 1 i didnt playderize my entire first round some of that i researched before i made this debate i only playderized the the cons from that website the rest i researched.therefore my opponent isnt argueing which wont get him any pionts.
dsjpk5

Pro

Well, unfortunately, my opponent never offered any of her own arguments. I was hoping we could discuss the issues. Having said that, I'm willing to offer some of my own.

Argument:

Cell phones should be in school. They need to be there for two reasons:

1. In today's busy world, parents need to keep in touch with their kids. Does the parent have to work late and the student needs to know someone else is picking them up from school? A cell phone is the best way to share this information.

2. Unfortunately, school shootings are a reality. In the event of such an emergency, students equipped with a cell phone make it more likely police can be informed in a timely manner.

Summary of debate:

1. Plagiarism is poor cinduct.

2. I was the only one who offered an original argument.
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
Thanks for the clarification, yraelz!
Posted by desttoyer 1 year ago
desttoyer
yup
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
I guess I should be more patient.
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: Some_Confused_Kid// Mod action: NOT Removed<

5 points to Pro (Conduct, S&G, Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: Conduct goes to Pro. Con plagiarized their on round 1 resulting in a conduct going to Pro. Spelling and grammar goes to Pro. Con's misspelling of the word plagiarized and not capitalizing their first letter and their I's were very distracting. Con plagerized their whole first argument. Even though Pro's argument was short it was unique and not plagiarized therefore won arguments. Sources was tied neither one of them posted sources for their arguments.

[*Reason for non-removal*] The voter sufficiently explains every point allocation.
************************************************************************
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
Probably because the vote was removed less than an hour ago.

>Reported vote: FuzzyCatPotato// Mod action: Removed<

7 points to Pro. Reasons for voting decision: "i didnt playderize my entire first round some of that i researched before i made this debate i only playderized the the cons from that website the rest i researched."

[*Reason for removal*] The voter must do more than simply post a quote from Con to explain their point allocations.
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
I'm not surprised that Fuzzy Cat Potato's vote was removed. It lacked an adequate rfd. I was surprised he gave me so many points. When I saw he voted, I figured he only gave me conduct points due to the plagiarism. Having said that, isn't the voting rights moderator supposed to post a comment why a vote is removed?
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
>Reported vote: Yraelz// Mod action: Removed<

2 points to Pro (Conduct). Reasons for voting decision: I'll award Pro conduct points on not-plagiarizing. I'll even not count the plagiarized content in the debate. That said, some of Con's argument is not plagiarized. Thus, in absence of a counter argument, I'll award "convincing arguments" and "reliable sources" to Con. Pro easily wins spelling&grammar against Con's round 2 & 3.

[*Reason for removal*] The voter is required to explain S&G with specifics. That requires doing more than simply pointing to 2 rounds and saying that there"s something wrong there " it must be clear that it was difficult to understand, and what made it difficult to understand.
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
Yraelz, I appreciate the comments that come with your new vote. I'll give your critique it's proper consideration.
Posted by Yraelz 1 year ago
Yraelz
@dsjpk5 - Don't vote bomb the debates of judges that you disagree with. That's poor form.
Posted by Yraelz 1 year ago
Yraelz
Oh, actually: re-re-RFD. I did the work to look up the rest of Con's blocks (the parts not copied from useoftechnology.com). It turns out every single block of text is copied, from these sources:

http://articles.niche.com...
https://prezi.com...
http://cellphones.lovetoknow.com...

In light of this destoyyer receives no points for convincing arguments and no points for reliable sources.
Vote Placed by Yraelz 1 year ago
Yraelz
desttoyerdsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I award Pro conduct points on not-plagiarizing. Con doesn't have sources without plagiarizing, so no reliable sources vote. Convincing argument is explained in comments. Pro easily wins S&G based on Con's round 3 opening "sentence" vs. Pro's opening sentence. Con says, "in round 1 i didnt playderize my entire first round some of that i researched before i made this debate i only playderized the the cons from that website the rest i researched." Specifically Con's "sentence" contains 4 sentence fragments. It ought to have had at least three periods and perhaps a semicolon. The word plagiarize is grossly misspelled. The first word of the "sentence" is not capitalized. Five instances of the word "I" are not capitalized. The end of the "sentence" does not have a space before the next sentence. The word "didn't" is missing an apostrophe. "The" is repeated twice sequentially. A comma should exist after the opening clause "in round 1". The person who reported my original vote is petty AF.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
desttoyerdsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con was illegible, on top of horrid spelling, he did not use a single comma, apostrophe, or even capitalized letters (such as I, which was needed quite often). Pro did not have a real case either, simply that con had not offered one. Between going for that cheap victory, and then holding everything off until the end when the instigator could not reply to use a Final Round Blitzkrieg, I am leaving conduct within the tied range (pro's was still better, but not by such an overwhelming margin that points other than arguments call for).
Vote Placed by tajshar2k 1 year ago
tajshar2k
desttoyerdsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I'll award conduct to Pro, because Con plagiarized. However Pro could have argued and made a contention. I can't assess Con's arguments, because it's not their arguments.
Vote Placed by hutch976 1 year ago
hutch976
desttoyerdsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro followed website guidelines. Thus he gets conduct. Pointless debate. Pro could have refuted con s source even though its copied. Who cares? Whose ideas are really original? You can still argue it.
Vote Placed by Smithereens 1 year ago
Smithereens
desttoyerdsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.
Vote Placed by Some_Confused_Kid 1 year ago
Some_Confused_Kid
desttoyerdsjpk5Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct goes to Pro. Con plagiarized their on round 1 resulting in a conduct going to Pro. Spelling and grammar goes to Pro. Con's misspelling of the word plagiarized and not capitalizing their first letter and their I's were very distracting. Con plagerized their whole first argument. Even though Pro's argument was short it was unique and not plagiarized therefore won arguments. Sources was tied neither one of them posted sources for their arguments.