xxx00
danmhood

child welfare service is inhuman and barbaric

xxx00

Pro

in these days news comes that child welfare service takes away little kids from their parents in the name of protection and upbringing for very TRIVIAL REASON. if parents scold a kid for any mishap of that kid which is VERY NORMAL at that age of the kid. mishaps like peeing in the bed, falling on the ground are taken as BIG MISTAKE on part of the parents. this attitude of so called child welfare service is inhuman and barbaric to me because only the parent can do most welfare of the kids. nobody else can do that.

con is required to argue against me.
danmhood

Con

I'm going to primarily focus my argument on the United States' Child Protective Services (CPS), as you did not appear to call out any country's service in particular and instead seem to be focused on the idea of children being removed from their households.

The Child Protective Services (CPS) were established to respond to reports of child neglect and abuse. They offer services such as family counseling and, as is the basis of this debate, the removal of children from their homes to prevent emotional and physical trauma from abusive households.

First of all, I will start my argument by agreeing with the fact that separation of children from their parents is inherently traumatic to the child and should only be used as a last resort. I also accept the fact that there are some situations in which the child was taken away from his/her parents when family counseling would have probably been more appropriate. However, there are also situations in which the child needs to be removed from the household; in cases where the child is subject to extreme emotional and/or physical abuse on a daily basis, I don't believe that the parents are the best people to be raising the child.

You state that parents are having their kids taken away because they are scolding their kids for wetting the bed or falling on the ground (things that are obviously very normal for small children to do). While I agree that parents should not have their kids taken away based on this alone (something that I have never heard of happening), this is definitely not the kind of thing that parents should be scolding their kids for. However, if the parent scolds the child for something like this and engages in physical abuse, then I believe that it is appropriate for CPS to become involved and take away the child if appropriate.

Lastly, you state that nobody but the parents can raise a child well. This is simply not true in my eyes, as I have witnessed numerous cases where the child was raised by somebody other than their parents for one reason or another and turned out fine (probably better than if he/she was raised by his/her parents).
xxx00

Pro

parents should not scold child for wetting the bed or any misshape? why? scolding is called according to behavior theory a negative reinforcement. it is used to discourage the child to repeat that misshape. i think this practice is good for the kids.

yes in some cases child needs to be raised by somebody other than parents. i think when parents leave their kids or parents go to jail or parents die, only then child should be raised by somebody other than parents.

but here in many country, specially in Norway, kids are taken because parents scold him for misshape which i think is parents’ duty. kids of foreign descents are taken away from their parent on very trivial grounds. this is to me is very inhuman and barbaric.
danmhood

Con

Sorry for the late response, I've had a lot of work this past few days.

Yes, but most kids don't wet the bed by choice when they wet it- they wake up cold, wet, and uncomfortable, and I don't think that any kid enjoys that. Bedwetting is almost always involuntary and occurs with most young kids. If you want a long scientific breakdown of bedwetting, then you can read this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org.... However, I have bought up the points that are relevant to this argument.

That being said, what point do you find in scolding kids for doing something that's involuntary? That doesn't help the kids at all, because they'll end up fearing the parent, fearing getting in trouble for everything that they do, and getting caught up with things that they just can't control. In fact, kids that are bought up like this frequently end up with self-esteem issues. I'm not saying that you should praise kids for wetting the bed, but they definitely shouldn't be scolded for it. If it becomes a daily problem, the parent should take the kid to the doctor and see what's going on.

If kids are taken away from their parents in Norway for scolding their kids when doing something like wetting the bed, then I agree with you that it's the wrong way to handle things. However, I find it hard to believe that there is nothing more to it than that if the child welfare services were called and the child was put up in foster care as a result.

You also state that the child should only be separated from their parents in cases of the child being put up for adoption by the parents or in the event of the death of the parents. However, I will still maintain that there are cases in which the child should be taken from the parents- my argument is not changing from round 1 in that regard. There are cases in which the parents are severely physically abusing, emotionally abusing, and/or just downright exploiting the child, and it would probably be in the child's best interest to be removed from the household and raised by a foster parent. Again, I believe that it should be used only as a last resort, but it should be used. You state that the parent is always the person that does what's best for the child, and that just isn't true.
xxx00

Pro

xxx00 forfeited this round.
danmhood

Con

Seeing as pro forefitted this last round, I really have nothing to add.
xxx00

Pro

xxx00 forfeited this round.
danmhood

Con

Well, this is unfortunate. In conclusion, everything that I stated above stands- I feel that my point is pretty clear. I don't have anything to add, and I don't really know what to say beyond this point.
Posted by iamnotwhoiam 4 years ago
iamnotwhoiam
Child welfare service of which country? Child protective services in the US? Then, which state? All of them? All the child welfare services?