Iluvgrapefruit
McBain

children need to be taught to be more tolerant at school

Iluvgrapefruit

Pro

In many schools, children bully others for things that are ridiculously sexist or intolerant. for example many boys at schools tease other boys for listening to the "wrong music" ie: female vocals and for watching "girl movies". It's ridiculous and completely biased. Children are almost forced to become their stereotypical gender role.For example; say a boy watches ugly betty, he is instantly an outcast.

Another thing, homophobia is common in schools. The derogative term "gay" is sometimes used literally or in association with the gay community. eg:"OMG you watched the secret life of bees instead of fast& furious! you are like the gayest guy on Earth". If children are using the term gay without any implication on the sexual , orientation then they probably just caught on with everyone saying it . but if they are making negative implications on the gay community then something needs to be done about it.

Some children are so unfamiliar with the actual gay community that they break out into laughter whenever they are studying a gay writer or gay is used in some form in schoolwork.

Children need to be taught to be tolerant about these things and become familiar with them before young children turn into racist intolerant little George Bushes!
McBain

Con

First off, I would like to welcome my opponent to debate.org! I hope you will enjoy many debates here and learn a great deal in the process.

Not stating a specific resolution, I am going to assume it to be the title of the debate "Children need to be taught to be more tolerant at school."

My opponent's entire case centers around intolerance, specifically in regard to kids picking on each other over issues of personal preference. This includes but is not limited to intolerance to musical preference, movie preference and sexual preference.

To refute my opponent's argument I will shine a different light on the subject. Fact of the matter is, compared to prior generations, generations today are much more tolerant about such matters, as evidenced by most young people today (generally ages 30 and below) being FAR AND AWAY more tolerant of gays, lesbians, trans-gender and bisexuals.

Teasing, bullying and picking on other children is a form of self empowerment however, and children (all people for that matter) do such things to make themselves feel better about themselves or to gain power over another by trying make other people's views less valid than their own.

As an alternative to the resolution that "children need to be taught to be more tolerant at school," I propose this:

***Children need to be taught to not worry about what other people think.***

No matter how hard you may try, you will not be able to teach all people to have an open mind and respect each and every viewpoint of others. What you can teach, is that people should be confident in themselves and what they believe and not to worry what somebody else thinks.

For example by looking at your profile I see that some of your own preferences are:
Music:bjork, evanescence, p!nk, beyonce
Sports Teams:sports shouldnt b on TV it wastes time
TV Shows:desperate housewives

If I were to make a snap judgement, I would say that you are gay for liking those music artists and tv shows as evidenced by the fact that you are male. (What self respecting male would like evanescence and beyonce, or desperate housewives?)

However, that doesn't mean that you are in fact gay. But that is besides the point, even though I would make the claim that you are gay all you need to know is... WHO CARES? You will like what you like, and what does it matter that I am judging you for it. You are probably making a judgment call that I am intolerant, or an as$ hole for saying such things, but my statement holds true. What do I care what you think? I have my own preferences and that's fine by me.

So In closing, what needs to be taught in schools is something more realistic and feasible than trying to stop kids from picking on each other. That is a fight as old as time itself.

What needs to be taught in schools is self confidence, determination, and not to worry about what other people think of them.
Iluvgrapefruit

Pro

While I do not agree with you on some of your arguments, I do agree that children do need to be taught not to always worry about what others may think of them. However what you are doing in one of your arguments, that is, comparing our generation to preceding generations is not a good way of judging our tolerance. As everyone knows, past generations were VERY VERY intolerant not to say, more violent. This comparison of us to past generations obviously makes us look like angels, however anything compared to that would look heavenly. It is similar to comparing Gordon Ramsay to the nearest Chinese takeout store. Whether we look good in contrast or not we must know that the intolerant behaviour in our schools may not be completely personal.

Even though it is a well known fact that it is impossible to have a unanimous healthy mind among all, it is the schools liability to ensure that the children attending are not growing up in a hateful environment. We must do our best to help children understand other people and accept them.

And I know many MALES who like evanescence and bjork and beyonce OK? you're being a bit biased there.
McBain

Con

"However what you are doing in one of your arguments, that is, comparing our generation to preceding generations is not a good way of judging our tolerance."

Comparing new generations to previous generations is a very good way of judging tolerance. Taking note of the decreasing trend of intolerance through history is a good indicator of where we are headed in the future. The saying goes, "you can't master the future without knowing the past." This being the case, less tolerant children today will give rise to even less tolerant generations to come.

"I do agree that children do need to be taught not to always worry about what others may think of them."
"This comparison of us to past generations obviously makes us look like angels, however anything compared to that would look heavenly."

I thank my opponent for conceding these points in his argument.

"It is similar to comparing Gordon Ramsay to the nearest Chinese takeout store. Whether we look good in contrast or not we must know that the intolerant behaviour in our schools may not be completely personal"

I fail to see the relevance of Chinese takeout, and to say that intolerant behavior may not be personal actually helps MY case.

"Even though it is a well known fact that it is impossible to have a unanimous healthy mind among all, it is the schools liability to ensure that the children attending are not growing up in a hateful environment. We must do our best to help children understand other people and accept them."

A healthy mind is a completely unrelated topic to this debate, as we are debating intolerance, not mental illness. Since when did it become the schools to be the ones liable for the way our children our raised? People already pin enough stupid crap on schools. In today's sue happy society, people will hold the schools liable for whether they can't walk on their own feet and tripped, or if someone is depressed and commits suicide. Why is it the schools that are responsible for realizing that that individual was not in a healthy state of mind?

Last time I checked, it is a PARENT'S responsibility to raise their children. They are the ones liable for their child being intolerant. Most intolerance, hate, close mindedness and other negative traits are learned by children from THEIR PARENTS. A school's job is to teach academics, but it is the parent who teaches their children their beliefs and values. If you want intolerance to stop, appeal to the parents to do right by their children. Unfortunately in today's fast paced world, most parents would rather drop their children off at school, get a babysitter, or put them in some other form of care. What ever happened to good old family time? All that being said, your comment "We must do our best to help children understand other people and accept them." is very correct. But by we, we as parents and a society need to foster understanding. It is their responsibility, not schools.

"And I know many MALES who like evanescence and bjork and beyonce OK? you're being a bit biased there."

My comments regarding this were to illustrate the power of a snap judgment. This quick value judgment is a large cause of intolerance and while I'm not in fact calling you gay, that is a prime example of how bullying and intolerance arise.
Iluvgrapefruit

Pro

Iluvgrapefruit forfeited this round.
McBain

Con

Since my opponent has missed his last round of debate, I will exercise my tolerance and leave my argument where it stands.

Thanks for a good debate, I only wish it could have finished out.

Vote Con!
Vote Placed by Lazy 8 years ago
Lazy
IluvgrapefruitMcBainTied