KittyEmPhilosophy
Lexus

christmas is in essense a comercial holiday

Lexus

KittyEmPhilosophy

Pro

There are 364 days in a year. What makes Christmas special?
Lexus

Con

Hi, and thanks for opening this great item for debate, I accept.
Before we start this debate, I just want to define a few key terms, to ensure that we are, in fact, speaking of the same things. If you are in conflict with any of these definitions, just make sure to note that in your speech.
"In Essence": the basic, real, and invariable nature of a thing [1]
"Christmas": the annual festival of the Christian church commemorating the birth of Jesus [2]
"Commercial": engaged in commerce [3]
"Holiday": a religious feast day; holy day, especially any of several usually commemorative holy days observed in Judaism. [4]

Good luck, and have fun!

[1]: dictionary.reference.com/browse/essence
[2]: dictionary.refence.com/browse/Christmas
[3]: dictionary.refence.com/browse/commercial
[4]: dictionary.refence.com/browse/holiday
KittyEmPhilosophy

Pro

Hello! And my apologies for not clearly stating my case. Although I agree with every single term definition, when I referred to "Christmas", I was thinking more along the lines of the public holiday, corrupted with "Santa Claus" and no longer the pure day of worship it was created to be. Now, even people who have nothing to do with Christ, go out and spend money on pointless items, and cling to useless traditions that have no true meaning.
Lexus

Con

Sorry, but I won't have enough time over the next few days to publish a few points of my own, but I will try to refute some of what you said.

Although my opponent has not said much that is in favor of his case, (since he, in the second round, just defined some of the terms that he was going to use throughout the debate), I would like to refute just a few of the things that he has said.

• In R1, my opponent said "There are 364 days in a year", this is simply not the case. In a calendar year, there are 365.25 days in a year, there are 365.256363004 days in a sidereal year, 365.24219 days in a tropical year, and 346.620075883 days in a draconian year (while the Draconian Year is also lower than the others, as what he said is, that does not mean that he is right, and thus we cannot believe anything that he says without citations.) [1]

• In R2 he says "corrupted with Santa Claus", while Society is not becoming corrupted with Santa Claus as part of it. According to InterColliegateReview, having children believe in Santa Claus actually helps them develop critical thinking skills, whereas telling them he does not exist would not help foster these kinds of skills. [2]

• In R2, my opponent says "cling to useless traditions", but the truth of the matter is that society benefits when people have these kind of traditions. By having society more focused on community and giving than receiving and self-centeredness, we are not making society cling to useless traditions, but instead we are making them cling to the exact opposite of useless traditions.

Sorry for not having enough time this week to make a case of my own, but I hope that refuting your arguments was good enough. Happy holidays!

KittyEmPhilosophy

Pro

Haha, well done on the days of the year. I obviously was not as informed as I assumed. I just joined two days ago. However, I believe we both have minor things to note on the other persons logic. I know it is formal to refer to your oponent as a "he" but I am in fact a she. As for citations, as my knowledgeable edged opponent states, are indeed crucial for a debte, but sadly impossible for me to utilize, given my current access to insufficient technology. I encourage my opponent to not take my word for each thing I say, and see for theirself weather my brain catches up to my speech. But alas, we must return to the debate at hand. Christmas was begun as a holy day to honor the birth of Jesus Christ. But, the modern day Christmas is a cold mockery of such. Many people end up let down or upset, depressed and even suicidal around the holidays. And as for the Santa Clause argument: I would not lie to my child in order to, or under the excuse of, making them smarter.
Lexus

Con

My opponent has conceded to the fact that she has been using incorrect facts throughout the debate. Because she has no proof of anything that she says, vote CON to ensure that christmas is not, in fact, a commerical holiday.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
KittyEmPhilosophyLexusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con used more sources so she gains that point. Pro really didn't refute much of which Con stated and thus the resolution is negated. S&G to Con due to Pro's noticeable grammatical skills.
Vote Placed by NoMagic 2 years ago
NoMagic
KittyEmPhilosophyLexusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro is correct. If Pro did some research he could've made this case. Simply walking through the stores on Christmas tell us it is currently practices as a commercial holiday, whether intended or not. Pro just never presented strong arguments, must give debate to Con despite being wrong.
Vote Placed by Rubikx 2 years ago
Rubikx
KittyEmPhilosophyLexusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro basically forfeited