vi_spex
AlexisBaylie

cigarette equals

vi_spex

vi_spex

Pro

cigarette=face of a blood thirsty mask of beauty
AlexisBaylie

Con

Thank you for the opportunity to debate. Good luck.

I would first like to point out that the title "cigarette equals" does not make much of any sense. In the comments you basically said you wanted the debate to be whether cigarettes are addictive or not.

The problem with saying that cigarettes are addictive, is that its only partially true. The cigarette itself is not addictive, it is the nicotine. Nicotine is found in all tobacco products. However, dip and chew actually contain more nicotine than cigarettes. Holding an average sized pinch of dip in your mouth for half an hour, contains the same amount of nicotine as three cigarettes.

The reason nicotine is so addictive is because of an "up and down" cycle it causes in your body. Once nicotine is in your body, it only takes about 10 seconds for it to reach your brain. Once reaching your brain, it causes your body to release adrenaline which creates a buzz. Once the buzz fades, you feel tired. This tired feeling leaves you with the feeling of needing another buzz.

Now that we have established that the nicotine is what is addictive, I will get into what is wrong with saying "cigarettes are addictive'". I'm sure we are all aware that there are different brands of cigarettes. The top biggest brands being Marlboro, Newport, and Camel. But there are in fact cigarettes that are nicotine free. Smoke Free is a brand of completely nicotine free cigarettes.

So without the addictive side effect of nicotine found in these cigarettes, it makes the statement "cigarettes are addictive" invalid since not ALL brands contain the addictive ingredient. Now if you had said "cigarettes with nicotine are addictive", that would be a completely different story and you would have been correct.

http://nicotinefreecigarettes.com...
https://www.sharecare.com...
AlexisBaylie

Con

I am going off the reasonable assumption that you have chosen to debate whether or not cigarettes are addictive, since "cigarette equals" cannot be debated. It is not even a full sentence. I also make that assumption because in the comments, you states cigarettes are addictive. Since that is the only statement you have conveyed that makes relative sense, it's safe to assume you meant for the topic to say "cigarette equals addictive".

To briefly restate my argument, saying "cigarettes are addictive" is inaccurate. The nicotine is the addictive ingredient in the big name cigarettes, but not all cigarettes contain nicotine. Therefore; If not all cigarettes have addictive qualities, making the statement that "cigarettes are addictive" is just simply not true.

That would be like me saying "only fish live in the water". I'm not going to sit here and explain how a dolphin is not a fish. But you get what I'm saying. Making a simple and generalizing statement, creates a lot of rumor for error.
vi_spex

Pro

thats the topic
AlexisBaylie

Con

Unfortunately, this is only a three round debate. I was looking forward to hearing your counter argument to mine. However; Debating with you was enjoyable and interesting to say the least.

For my closing statement, nicotine free cigarettes are now an option. This takes away the addictive quality that tobacco products have. My opponent made the error of generalizing all brands as addictive which is simply not true. This makes his argument invalid.

Vote con!
Posted by vi_spex 4 months ago
vi_spex
absolute non skill :)
Posted by vi_spex 4 months ago
vi_spex
you are trolls
Posted by AlexisBaylie 4 months ago
AlexisBaylie
Thank you for the feedback, Peepette.

You're right, I never addressed how "cigarette=face of a blood thirsty mask of beauty" verbatim. However in round two when I stated "I am going off the reasonable assumption that you have chosen to debate whether or not cigarettes are addictive, since "cigarette equals" cannot be debated." In return, con admitted "thats the topic". Therefore, I did address PRO's initial argument.

However, if the you feel I did not stay on the topic, you cannot honestly say that PRO and I were tied on spelling and grammar. PRO failed to use capitalization, correct punctuation, and replaced the word "equals" with the mathematical symbol.
Posted by Peepette 4 months ago
Peepette
RFD: As much as I hate to give a win to Vi-Spex a troll extortionate, beloved by all new members. He ensures neebies get their 3 debate minimum to vote and allows them to begin to develop an elo. Thanks Vi for the valuable service you provide to new members. The debate is titled "cigarette equal" but CON misses PRO"s contention that "cigarette=face of a blood thirsty mask of beauty" and writes on the addictive qualities of cigarettes rather than addressing PRO"s contention. Con also misses PRO"s facetiousness in the 3rd round "thats the topic", a point in the debate where no new arguments could be made, a dead end for CON. Since the BoP of the debate rest on the instigator and was not rebutted, the debate goes to PRO. Conduct: tied, both were civil. S&G tied, text readable on both sides, Sources tied, CON"s sources did not assist in rebuttal strength against the contention.

Comment: AlexisBaylie many new members fall into the Vi_Spex trap. But you can use trolls to your advantage to gain wins and build and elo score so others with skill will want to engage in debates with you. But keep your troll debates to a minimum. Best of luck. Welcome to DDO and keep at it.
Posted by vi_spex 4 months ago
vi_spex
what?
Posted by AlexisBaylie 4 months ago
AlexisBaylie
So yes? That is your argument?
Posted by vi_spex 4 months ago
vi_spex
cigarettes are addictive
Posted by AlexisBaylie 4 months ago
AlexisBaylie
So are you trying to argue if cigarettes are addictive or not?
Posted by vi_spex 4 months ago
vi_spex
or like a hat
Posted by vi_spex 4 months ago
vi_spex
it started at, cigarettes are like a golden necklace because i get angry when i dont have it on me
Vote Placed by whiteflame 4 months ago
whiteflame
vi_spexAlexisBaylieTied
Reasons for voting decision: The topic doesn't make much sense, and as Con argues, it doesn't really have a means for debate. While Con certainly could have done more to explain why the topic was not debatable, the assertion that it wasn't debatable goes untouched by Pro. Pro's only "argument" in the debate is a statement that embodies the resolution and a statement that the resolution is the resolution, neither of which is responsive to Con's point. While the points on addition have no bearing on the debate (they seem to just be Con's interpretation of what the debate could have been), the fact that I'm buying that no debate can happen here means that no debate did happen. Neither side has an argument, and as Con doesn't give me a reason to vote for him as a result, I just view the entire thing as moot. Neither side can win a non-debate, so neither side does.
Vote Placed by Peepette 4 months ago
Peepette
vi_spexAlexisBaylieTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments