college athletes should be paid.

Started: 11/12/2015 Category: Sports

College athletics brings in billions of dollars a year with not one dollar being paid to the players. This is morally wrong and there is no reason it should continue.

Looking for anyone who wants to debate that college athletes should "not" be paid.

First round is acceptance. debate start in the second.

I accept the challenge and will argue that college athletes should not get paid.

The NCAA as a whole makes over 6 billion dollars a year. The 2013 NCAA basketball tournement brought in 1.15 billion dollars in add revenue, 200 million more than the NBA playoffs that same year. The average NBA player can expect to earn 24.7 million over his 4.8 year career while the average player in college basketball can expect to earn 0 dollars.

The top payed public employees in most states are collage coaches with many making millions of dollars a year. Coach K the head coach at Duke makes close to 10 million a year. The Duke athletic program brought in revenue of around 80 million dollars in a recent fiscal year, not one dollar way paid to any of it's athletes.

College athletics is big business, it is absurd to think that the athletes deserve none of the income being generated from their hard work, blood, sweat and tears. Most athletes at the end of The year still end up paying around 3k in exspense not covered by their scholarships to attend school.

It is true that many athletes receive full scholarships to participate in college sports but the value of their educations is greatly diminished due to the demands put upon them by their participation in sports. The average athletes spends just over 40 hours participating college athletics.

Sorry it took me a little bit to post this, I have been busy with other things. For this round, I will introduce my reasons on why a college athlete should not be paid.

Their Own Accountability
I. They Decided to do the Sport

One thing I like to please present an ephasis on is the word "accountability". Accountability (or Accountable) is defined as "Required to be responsible for oneself (1). This means that everyone in society is responsible for their own actions, even college athletes. In this round, my opponents states: "College athletics is big business, it is absurd to think that the athletes deserve none of the income being generated from their hard work, blood, sweat and tears". In reality, these athletes decided to do the sport in the first place. They didn't have to, but they did and because of this they must understand all the hardwork that must be put in.

II. The Value of College Sport
Besides their own accountability, college athletes also represent the college. According to the set of rules for college athletes titled "Athletes Code of Conuct" (2), it states that one of the top reasons athletes are there at te school is to represent their college. "A student athlete is seen in the public eye more often than the average student. Remember, it is a privilege to be a college athlete, but it is also your responsibility to represent the college with class and dignity. Failure to do this will result in disciplinary action from the coach or Athletic Director". If we began paying them, this would break that code that has been held for many decades.

They Already are being Paid Technically
Like stated numerous times in the comment section, athletes are being paid technically. They aren't being paid in the sense of cash to be spent upon anything, but being funded to go to their school and recieve an education in the form of a scholarship. Stated under the NCAA (3), "There is a lot of talk about how much money college sports generates. But did you know that more than 90 percent of the NCAA’s revenue goes to support student-athletes". How do they support them? By letting them live in a dorm and off a scholarship. How isn't this fair?

Of course my opponent states: "It is true that many athletes receive full scholarships to participate in college sports but the value of their educations is greatly diminished due to the demands put upon them by their participation in sports. The average athletes spends just over 40 hours participating college athletics". However, I like to please point out that college athletes aren't the only one working hard in life; there are other members in society working hard to go into college. One example is a working mother, who has a kid with autism, and went through college with working two jobs (4). She worked hard, and still passed her classes; so why should a college athlete deserve higher privledges?

And another example of a college academic working hard in the Speech and Debate Team. Stated under source (5), it will give out a list of all schools that have a Speech and Debate Team. Me personally going through Speech and Debate, I recieved a scholarship for one year and put a lot of effort in my cases in Speech and Debate. I still passed my classes with no issue, and it is no different that college athletes. Anyone can work hard, and still pass without being paid. And why should only college athletes be paid, there are other groups in colleges that work just as hard. Should these other groups also get paid.

Besides that, the value of an education is really great. I would like to please point out a statistic on the percentages an athlete goes pro. Depending on the sport, there is less than a 5% chance for athletes to make it Pro (6). That is not much, and this is where an education comes in and athletes can study it up for a potential future job.

To conclude this round, college athletes are not in that need to be paid. If they started to get paid with physical cash, then it work break the values and morals of a college sport.

Decentmind forfeited this round.

Decentmind forfeited this round.

Vote Con!
Posted by NikolaGustav 11 months ago
Yeah the comment section is informal, but think about it like this:

What if I had just posted a comment on this debate that only read, "All of your arguments are weak and ridiculous!" without directly addressing anything that you'd said. I'd look pretty ignorant wouldn't I?

Anyway, it's all good. No worries :)
Posted by Decentmind 11 months ago
No disrespect, I thought the comment section was informal. Just having a regular discussion.
Posted by NikolaGustav 11 months ago
Listen buddy, if you're going to insult someone's argument, do it tastefully in a way that actually makes a point. Debating is about the exchange of knowledge after all.

If you want to debate rudely with no regard for actual discussion, I suggest you try to become a politician :P

Anyway, legally speaking, I do agree with you; that is why I didn't except the debate in the first place.
College athletes should get paid.
What if an athlete is injured during their college career and it stops them from going pro?
Such life changing risks should not go uncompensated.
Posted by Decentmind 11 months ago
Your arguments are weak and are grasping at Straws.

None of the changes you mentioned are reasons why the athletes shouldn't get part of the billions of dollars being made off them.

The health benifits argument is ridiculous.

The work experience argument is absurd.

I'm not going to spend much time picking apart your argument as you are not the one in this debate. If you wish to debate me start one and challenge me.
Posted by NikolaGustav 11 months ago
I can see that you are very passionate about this subject. However, please try to discuss this with me like a normal person. Dismissing my points and pretending that I only said, "things will change" does nothing to help your argument.

You are dismissing the work experience:

You did make a good point; only 2% of college athletes turn pro.
If 98% of college athletes are going into the work force after college, don't you think that it is important to encourage them to work a job in order to earn pay instead of robbing them of precious work experience?

You are dismissing the health benefits:

There are life long benefits to the free strength and fitness training and other resources that are provided to college athletes with no charge; not just sports related ones.
Even if they are part of the 98% of student athletes who won't go pro, they will still reap positive health benefits from their fitness training for the rest of their lives.

You are dismissing the important change in the game:

Once again, because student athletes they don't receive pay, most of them aren't competing for personal gain.
They are representing their school.
They are fighting for their team.
They are playing the game for the fans, not the money.
The lack of pay helps create a sense of loyalty and passion for the game that you just don't see in professional leagues these days. Giving players money as an incentive would provide an ulterior motive.

To be clear, this is the specific "thing" that would change:

Paying students for their athletic performance would muffle that rare sense of passion and determination which is otherwise abundant in college athletic competitions.
Posted by Decentmind 11 months ago
And it should change the entire dynamic of the game. The playwrs will no longer be taken advantage of.

"Things will change" is not a good reason not to change things.
Posted by Decentmind 11 months ago
Free coaching! Lol 2% of college athletes turn pro.
Posted by NikolaGustav 11 months ago
As I already mentioned, it would change the entire dynamic of the game.

Also, a commonly overlooked factor is that student athletes receive free professional coaching, strength and fitness training, and support from athletic trainers and physical therapists (who kept me going back in my day). Football and basketball players pay $2,000-$3,000 per week for similar training in the weeks leading up to their pre-draft workouts. Using these valuations, and adding in the value of a scholarship, a student athlete at a major conference school on full scholarship is likely receiving a package of education, room, board, and coaching/training worth between $50,000 and $125,000 per year depending on their sport and whether they attend a public or private university.

You can check this source if you'd like:
Posted by Decentmind 11 months ago
There is billions of dollars being made, who do you think that money should go to and why should non of it go to the athletes?
Posted by NikolaGustav 11 months ago
Sorry, they are *not* under appreciated just because we don't hand them a check.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 10 months ago