wittybrain_2004
The_Observer

competition leads to the death of relationships

wittybrain_2004 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 4 days ago Status: Debating Period

wittybrain_2004

Con

I believe that competition leads to the death of relationships. The history stands as an evidence. one of the causes of the world war I was competition. competition of armaments can also be regarded as an armament race. the peculiar feature of the race was that if one country increases its armaments other countries were compelled to do the same.
The_Observer

Pro

I will begin my first argument with some assumptions. First, although you have chosen the Con side, I believe you will be arguing "pro" based on your first post, and as such I will be arguing Con. Second, due to the wording of the title, I believe that you will be arguing that ALL kinds of competition necessarily lead to the death of ALL relationships; I will be debating that this is not necessarily true. I submit that if I can show any instances in which any kind of competition has not destroyed relationships, then I will have won this debate.

Now to begin, the sole piece of evidence you used to support your argument was world war I, and specifically, how competition was a factor of the conflict. However, I believe this is a mistake. Even if competition was the sole cause of the war, this one instance doesn't define the whole of human relationships.

I believe that there is more than one kind of competition; some destroy relationships, some don't. First, there is the competition for life and death. In this kind of competition, any relationship (if one ever existed) could be expected to take a hit. Second, there is competition for dominance, where pride is on the line. In these instances, relationships, if extant, could be damaged. However, there is also competition for fun, where, in the interest of having fun, some people will choose to put their pride aside and and compete with each other for fun. Sure, there are still hurt feelings sometimes, but these kinds of competitions have the ability to bring people together, to create friendships, and produce good, wholesome feelings. I can attest to this, as I love this kind of competition, and I have made friends this way. If this weren't true, why would friends gather together to play video/board games together? If your assertion was true, they would ALL become enemies, and would no longer compete together, but I think we see the opposite.

Note: This is not to say that there aren't relationships that haven't been hurt because of competitive activities, but I would argue that even then, pride is probably the culprit.
Posted by Snort 6 days ago
Snort
If you believe competition leads to the death of relationships than why are you arguing con?
Posted by Alex.oland 6 days ago
Alex.oland
Are you claiming that all competition leads to death of relationships or just some of them? If some, then there is no place for debates because it is a fact that competition has lead to war as you said.