clsmooth
Pluto2493

curb your enthusiasm is better than Seinfeld

clsmooth

Pro

I believe curb your enthusiasm is the greatest show in the history of television, but that is not the topic of this debate. Instead, I'm arguing that it is better than Larry David's other show, Seinfeld. This is a two-round debate.

Here are the reasons curb your enthusiasm is superior to its more-popular cousin:

1. Larry David is awesome and Jerry Seinfeld is annoying and lame: Larry David was the brains behind the Seinfeld show. The character of "Jerry" is actually a composite of the real-life Larry and the real-life Jerry. For example, the real-life Kramer was Larry's neighbor, not Jerry's. Many of the incidents that happened to Jerry on the show actually happened to Larry in real life, not Jerry. And finally, George Cstanza is much funnier than the Jerry character, and George is based entirely on Larry David.

2. curb your enthusiasm's HBO format allows more explicit hilarity: Usually, cursing is a short cut to laughs that covers a lack of talent. But in the case of curb your enthusiasm, the swearing is used creatively and the results are hilarious. Imagine the character of Susie Green if she were on Seinfeld -- that would suck. But HBO's format allows for the hilarious, foul-mouth character we all love.

3. curb your enthusiasm is "politically incorrect," which makes it much funnier: There were almost never any black people on Seinfeld. They lived in New York City but there were no blacks? WTF? curb your enthusiasm, on the other hand, features many black regulars and random characters, too. Larry's character always manages to say something stupid around African Americans, which is inevitably hilarious. In particular, the "adoption" of a black hurricane-refugee family in Season 6 explored racial issues that a PC network show like Seinfeld would have never been able to do.

4. curb your enthusiasm has more cultural value: For the reasons cited above, but also, the show explores "Jewish" issues and also deals with the hypocrisy of modern liberalism.

5. curb your enthusiasm is just more creative and entertaining: Each season has an "arc," whereas Seinfeld was a show "about nothing." Though they are somewhat similar, curb your enthusiasm makes Seinfeld look lame by comparison. I know plenty of former Seinfeld fans who, once they watched curb, could not go back to Seinfeld.

If you are not familiar with curb your enthusiasm, rush out and buy Season 1 on DVD today!
Pluto2493

Con

I negate "curb your enthusiasm is better than Seinfeld".

I will present my offense and be vague and get into more detail in later rounds.

1. Seinfeld has many awards. From http://en.wikipedia.org...
Seinfeld was an Emmy Award-winning American sitcom that originally aired on NBC from July 5, 1989 to May 14, 1998, lasting nine seasons. Many of its catchphrases have entered into the pop culture lexicon. The show led the Nielsen Ratings in its sixth and ninth seasons, and finished among the top two (along with ER) every year from 1994 to 1998. In 2002, TV Guide named Seinfeld as the greatest American television program of all time.

Seinfeld has become a pop culture phenomenon. When I say 'No soup for you', I can guarantee 4/5 people would know where that is from. It also has great one liners such as 'anti-dentite', 'these pretzels...', 'Vandelay industries', and 'not that there's anything wrong with that'.

2. Seinfeld is a show about nothing. You can watch it whenever you want, and you don't have to start at the very beginning of the show to think it is funny. Most people appreciate random comedies, because they are not the same old recycled jokes, as in Curb your Enthusiasm.

3. CYE (Curb your Enthusiasm) is not even that funny. I am not going to say it doesn't have a funny line here and there, but overall, it's not that funny. The show uses red faced rants with interchangable swear word after interchangeable swear word to appeal to viewers. Take this-

Is that really funny? There's not even any jokes. It's just some woman yelling at her husband. If I wanted to watch someone scream at someone, I could do it in real life.
And this, same deal-

4. Seinfeld has many well defined characters. Jerry co-created the show and puts many of his own jokes of it. When you get parodied so often, it is safe to say you are a character. And George. Everyone can relate to George, and he just makes every other character better.

And who can ever forget Kramer. His crazy antics, his outrageous comments, everything he does is funny (on the show).

5. Seinfeld appeals to more audiences. Not many people, like myself, have HBO. I haven't seen too many episodes of CYE, but I've seen almost all Seinfeld episodes because I don't have cable. This is also a more family show. Even 12 year old kids can relate to some of the stuff they say, like the fork and cookie. I would never let my kids (when I have some) watch CYE.
I guess people have shown this, seeing as how 75 million people watched the final episode.

I look forward to your response.
clsmooth

Pro

1. Awards do not recognize quality. Was TITANIC really the best movie of 1997? Of course not! Awards merely reflect attempts by the leftist elite to gauge the supposed preferences of the "common people," which they do not even begin to understand or identify with. You use awards as a criterion? I think you've already lost with that.

2. Seinfeld is a show about nothing (you admit), with no redeemable social value. CYE has everything good about Seinfeld and more, including plot and social criticism.

3. CYE is hilarious and the YouTube you provided only affirms this.

4. All the characters you cite as being so great were entirely created by Larry David, and his immense talent is what makes CYE so great. As stated earlier, the Jerry character is a composite of Jerry and Larry; George is one aspect of Larry's real-life persona; and the real-life Kraymer was real-life Larry's neighbor. CYE has even better characters, such as Susie the foul-mouth harpie, Jeff the fat and philandering agent, and Richard Lewis the paranoid recovering alchie. Season 6 introduced the Blacks, including the hilarious Leon. And what's more, Ted Danson and various other celebrities make frequent contributions, mocking themselves as liberal Hollywood deserves to be mocked.

5. So you admit you haven't even seen many CYE episodes. Ah ha! Watch them all and you will be converted. Again, popularity is no measure of quality. Is Britney Spears's debut album one of the twenty greatest in history? Of course not! And speaking of that last Seinfeld show, IT SUCKED, and almost everyone agrees. The last show of each season of CYE is hilarious, and if Season 6 is the final season, the ending was PERFECT.
Pluto2493

Con

1. "Awards do not recognize quality. Was TITANIC really the best movie of 1997? Of course not!"

What?! Awards are for that exact purpose. It is what the population, or experts on a subject, believe to be the best or worst. Awards are a VERY good gague of quality. All you can say is, 'its funny'. Well, that's pretty hard to quantify. You can't say Seinfeld has 30 Funnies and CYE has 78. While awards may not be your exact opinion, but they are what the most people like.

FYI Titanic was a GREAT movie. I don't know why you cited that. It is among AFI's top 100 greatest movies of all time.

2. "Seinfeld is a show about nothing (you admit), with no redeemable social value. CYE has everything good about Seinfeld and more, including plot and social criticism."

No redeemable social value. That's funny. Ha. Ha. Ha. I'm pretty sure my favorite show that was voted the best show of all time has some social value. As I said, its a pop culture phenomenon. NO SOUP FOR YOU! Tell me where that's from. Now give me a line from CYE, and I bet less than half would know from the percentage of the Soup Nazi.

Also, Seinfeld is a comedy. Randomness is what makes it funny. It doesn't have to have a powerful plot to be funny, which neither show has. If you are going to argue this, make it about a drama, as a comedy does not need to have a story ark.

3. "CYE is hilarious and the YouTube you provided only affirms this."
See, that's the problem. This is your best argument, yet is easy to defeat.
First, we don't know how funny it is compared to Seinfeld. As I said, a show can not have '45 points of funniness'.
Second, that's just your personal opinion, it is not based on facts. If I said, 'I think I'm the coolest guy on earth,' you could not argue that because you don't know what I am thinking, even though I am definently not the coolest guy on earth.
Third, those are not funny. There weren't even jokes! It's just some crazy people yelling. If you want that, I'll get my camera and put it on youtube.

4. "All the characters you cite as being so great were entirely created by Larry David, and his immense talent is what makes CYE so great."

This seems to be a pointless argument. First of all, it doesn't matter where they came from or who made them. It is still a funny show. Sure Larry David created some characters, but who cares? The characters are awsome in their own way. Second, you never say that the characters in CYE are better, all you say is that Larry David created them. I will agree with that, but Seinfeld's characters are better.

5. "So you admit you haven't even seen many CYE episodes. Ah ha! Watch them all and you will be converted. Again, popularity is no measure of quality."

People definetly don't want to watch every episode of a show, THEN decide whether they like it or not. That is unpratical. Plus, as I said, it doesn't have to have a great story for it to be a great show, at least for a comedy. Comedies are supposed to make people laugh, not follow the plot.

Recapping my points-
1. Seinfeld has WAY more awards than CYE. My opponent asserts that Seinfeld is worse because of the censoring, but no. In 1994, one of the greatest episodes in American sitcom history debuted, entitled 'The Contest'. This was about something that the group agreed not to do, and the longest who doesn't wins money. They could not say the word the entire episode, yet they won an EMMY for the best comedy episode. And guess who it was written by? Larry David. Just look at the Wikipedia I gave you. Seinfeld has awards up the wazoo.
2. Seinfeld is random and does not follow a story ark. This means that you can watch one episode without having to watch EVERY SINGLE episode before that. It is a great show that people can sit down and watch.
3. CYE isn't funny overall. My youtubes illustrate this. It is just red faced rants with people screaming and swearing. What's funny about that? Seinfeld points out little annoying things we see every day and makes fun of them. We can all relate to that.
4. The charaters in Seinfeld are great. Although they are created by Larry David, they are pure masterpeice. Every character is unique and fun. Every person can relate to one of the Seinfeld characters.
5. Seinfeld has a wider range of audiences. Even little kids can watch it. CYE must be somewhere from 17-70. Yes that seems like a big number, but who's going to watch CYE with their child? With their grandmother? It can only be 'enjoyed' in one place at one time.

All in all, you can clearly see Seinfeld is better the Curb Your Enthusiasm. It is an all around great show. I urge you to vote con for Seinfeld.
Posted by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
clsmooth, Larry David was probably the mastermind behind George Constanza, because everything went wrong with him just like in Curb Your Enthusiasm, and although that was really funny, Jerry Seinfeld's ideas on weird things that happen so often that we don't really talk about how weird they are has made its mark on history. Seinfeld sold way more than Curb Your Enthusiasm because of Jerry Seinfeld. Larry David just added onto his genius with some of his humor.
Posted by clsmooth 9 years ago
clsmooth
Eric - You are describe autarky/mercantilism, the economic ideas of classical conservatives who are greater enemies to liberty than socialists. I am a capitalist, and capitalism requires the division of labor for comparative advantage. Capitalism is collaborative, open, and free. The goal of the production of CYE (and Seinfeld, for that matter) is to be profitable, and these profits are generated from providing a product that consumers want. CYE and other great pieces of art spring spontaneously from the mind of entrepreneurs like Larry David, they are not prescribed by Communist central-planning dictators. The collaboration between individuals with specialized skills, all in the name of profitable remuneration, is very capitalist. If you want to look to Communism, look to the horrendous programming on PBS.
Posted by EricW1001 9 years ago
EricW1001
clsmooth, how could you possibly support the communist product that is a TV show? All those people working towards a common goal?

You didn't make the show all by yourself, with all of your own resources. How dare you!!
Posted by reagan_views 9 years ago
reagan_views
Curb is awsome, Leon should get his own show, now that would be the best.
Posted by brittwaller 9 years ago
brittwaller
CYE is perhaps not better than Seinfeld, but I still think it's pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good:)
Posted by Pluto2493 9 years ago
Pluto2493
I'll make my argument tommorrow.
Posted by FunkeeMonk91 9 years ago
FunkeeMonk91
Too bad your pro, or else I definitely would have accepted! Curb Your Enthusiasm > Seinfeld.
Vote Placed by ChopStyxNryce 8 years ago
ChopStyxNryce
clsmoothPluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by Danielle 9 years ago
Danielle
clsmoothPluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by clsmooth 9 years ago
clsmooth
clsmoothPluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
clsmoothPluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by Off_the_Wall.Paul 9 years ago
Off_the_Wall.Paul
clsmoothPluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by Pluto2493 9 years ago
Pluto2493
clsmoothPluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by towinistosucced 9 years ago
towinistosucced
clsmoothPluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by Araj 9 years ago
Araj
clsmoothPluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by Logos 9 years ago
Logos
clsmoothPluto2493Tied
Vote Placed by brittwaller 9 years ago
brittwaller
clsmoothPluto2493Tied