jabie
taburkasaurusrex

cyberbullying isn't a real issue.

taburkasaurusrex

jabie

Pro

I don't believe that cyberbullying is a real issue. The real problem with bullying in general is the victim feeling trapped, not able to escape the treats/acts as theykeep reoccurring each day/often. Though when it's online, they can literally end the insults with the push of a button. Anyone who has been "cyberbullied" has put it on themselves, for not deactivating their account or blocking the offender. Many people believe that the victim should not have to sacrifice an app just because they're being attacked online, but I completely disagree. If deleting an app or website was all that it took to save your confidence and prevent yourself from developing insecurities and self hatred, I think that it's a small price to pay. After all, if you had the chance to stop someone whom was trying to kill you, why wouldn't you save yourself?
taburkasaurusrex

Con

Dear Jabie. I'm not sure if you are aware or not, but cyber bullying is a major issue. It doesn't just end with blocking somebody or deleting the account. My best friend was on kik and she was getting cyber bullied by her ex and even after she blocked him, he just got his friends to harass her and to call her rude names. Cyber bullying leads to thoughts of suicide, self harm, and the loss of self-esteem. Cyber bullying is a huge role in bullying and is a major problem in the world.
jabie

Pro

I am aware of it being a "Serious issue", but I disagree with it being an issue at all. I'm sorry that your friend was harassed that way (psa; in no way am I defending the bully or stating that inflicting harm on others is okay), but If she had logged out of her kik or deleted her account, it WOULD have seized to be a problem. She could have also blocked his friends, or deleted the messages without reading them. Her continuing to look over the insults was her inflicting pain on herself! She had no reason to look at them ESPECIALLY if she believed it would effect her mental health. Next, anyone who develops a mental disorder over cyberbullying (depression,anxiety,suicidal thoughts, etc) clearly has other issues and CANNOT blame it all on the offender, because it takes more than a few words typed on a screen to bring a person to the state of wanting to KILL THEMSELVES. Suicidal thoughts are thought of because suicide feels like the only escape, but you CAN escape cyberbullying by turning off the device, or deleting the app. Only when the attacks become real, or in person, does it become a real issue.
taburkasaurusrex

Con

You simply cannot just block everyone who is harassing you in a matter of seconds, and if you delete the messages they keep sending things. Logging out, yeah sure it stops the harassment for a little bit, but if that is your only source of communicating with say businesses or something, then you have to log back in and still receive all the messages and stuff. If cyber bullying wasn't a real issue then why are 7 out of ten kids getting cyber bullied? "7 in 10 young people are victims of cyber bullying. 37% of them are experiencing cyber bullying on a highly frequent basis. 20% of young people are experiencing extreme cyber bullying on a daily basis." http://nobullying.com...
Your argument that "anyone who develops a mental disorder over cyberbullying (depression,anxiety,suicidal thoughts, etc) clearly has other issues and CANNOT blame it all on the offender, because it takes more than a few words typed on a screen to bring a person to the state of wanting to KILL THEMSELVES." is the biggest load of crud there is. "Bullied victims are 7 to 9% more likely to consider suicide according to a study by Yale University. Studies in Britain have found half of the suicides among youth related to bullying. According to a study by ABC News over 30,000 children stay home every day due to the fear of being bullied. Bullying can be related to physical, emotional, cyber bullying, and sexting circulating nude or suggestive pictures of a person or messages." http://nobullying.com...
Bullying leads to suicidal thoughts. Have you ever been bullied? I have, and I've tried to commit suicide, because I was bullied. You don't understand that most people who are bullied are trying so hard to find a way out of being bullied, but they can't, which then leads to depression, anxiety, and even suicide.
jabie

Pro

to start off, your entire 2nd paragraph is invalid to this argument because BULLYING in REAL LIFE is an issue, which is what I'm arguing. A person harassing another in person is COMPLETELY different than the same thing happening online, for many reasons. The #1 reason being that in person, the victim cannot simply turn off or mute the bully from speaking to them directly while ONLINE there is a TREMENDOUS amount of different ways to mute or turn off the offender's comments (or simply not read/look at them). Not to mention, hearing the words come out of a person's mouth is MUCH more harmful than looking at them, (although I do agree that reading them CAN be harmful, and has been in most cases). I have to also include that I have experienced "cyberbullying" to the MAX. Although I wont go into detail, when I was younger I had at one point had over 20 hatepages on instagram and would receive HUNDREDS of hate comments/messages a day. Though I thought it was a huge deal at the time, I found that if I simply deleted the messages before reading them, there was no harm done to myself AND I could keep my apps. At one point that did become a bit much to do, so I just deleted the account altogether because my happiness and mental stability is FAR more important than a silly app. The point that "Logging out, yeah sure it stops the harassment for a little bit, but if that is your only source of communicating with say businesses or something, then you have to log back in and still receive all the messages and stuff." is true, sure, but if the messages were infact THAT bad, there's always the option of making a new account and only giving it to the people whom you want, so that the "bullies" no longer have communication and you may continue using the app for whatever purposes you must. I do know that mental disorders come from bullying, and that some may even develop from cyberbullying, BUT I have to argue that cyberbullying in general isn't a threat unless you let it be one. There are infinite ways to stop the harassment and those who let it happen have put it on themselves, for not stopping it before it got to them mentally. I simply cannot agree that something which can be stopped with the click of a button is an issue.
taburkasaurusrex

Con

First I'd like to say, my second paragraph is still in the same lines as my first. Second you said in your rebuttal, " I do know that mental disorders come from bullying, and that some may even develop from cyberbullying, BUT I have to argue that cyberbullying in general isn't a threat unless you let it be one." but in your second round of rebuttals you stated, "Next, anyone who develops a mental disorder over cyberbullying (depression,anxiety,suicidal thoughts, etc) clearly has other issues and CANNOT blame it all on the offender, because it takes more than a few words typed on a screen to bring a person to the state of wanting to KILL THEMSELVES." I do believe you have just contradicted yourself and have flipped what you were trying to state. Yes it can be prevented by deleting the app or logging out, but if your boss had to contact you through that app and you had no other way of talking to them, deleting the app and making a new account would be useless as your boss would no longer have the account you're using. Yes I agree, " because my happiness and mental stability is FAR more important than a silly app." that was a very good point. You said, "I simply cannot agree that something which can be stopped with the click of a button is an issue." but not all cyber bullying can be stopped with the click of a button, nor will it ever stop. If you're getting harassed by people online and you delete the account and make a new one, there will still be people out there who will find your new account and keep harassing you. You of all people should know that cyber bullying is a real issue, if what you said about you "having cyberbulling to the MAX," is true, and that it is an issue the world is facing and going through. Thank you for contradicting yourself though. I rest my case.
jabie

Pro

Clearly I worded my point poorly, but I didn't exactly mean to contradict myself as I was aware of what I was saying and what I had said before. " I do know that mental disorders come from bullying, and that some may even develop from cyberbullying..."- In this line I did mention that SOME MAY even develop from cyberbullying. Some people may develop depression from work, or school, or friends- meaning that many things cause mental disorders or sickness, I was just recognizing that YES its POSSIBLE that some may have been caused from cyberbullying. I agree that I should have worded my claims better, and I will keep that in mind for the future. Your argument that " If you're getting harassed by people online and you delete the account and make a new one, there will still be people out there who will find your new account and keep harassing you." is not valid considering that no, not always will people keep searching for your new account. I have found success in making new ones. It's also an option to turn your account on private, although I know that not all apps have that feature. and as for my "boss no longer having the account I was using", I would clearly explain my situation and send over the new username, so we could continue our business as needed. I see where you're coming from in all of this, but there literally is not a cyberbullying situation that cannot be stopped if the victim takes the care to do so. I apologize for (sort of) contradicting myself.
taburkasaurusrex

Con

How can you send your boss the information if you deleted the first account?? That's another contradiction. You can't delete it then send him/her the information while it's deleted and like I said before, that may be the only way of contacting them. There is no possible way to "just shut' cyber bullying down. There is always going to be cyber bullying. Yes there are people who search for your new accounts, as it has happened to me and several friends of mine. They don't just stop attacking you and even if they do stop attacking you, they'll just find a new victim. You didn't "sort of" contradict yourself, as you had stated "it takes more than a few words typed on a screen to bring a person to the state of wanting to KILL THEMSELVES." which isn't true for starters, but you're also implying that nobody has ever committed suicide from being cyber bullied, which also isn't true. "68% of teens agree that cyber bullying is a serious problem." https://www.dosomething.org...

"39% of social network users have been cyberbullied in some way, compared with 22% of online teens who do not use social networks. When teens see others being mean or cruel on social networks, frequently 55% see other people just ignoring what is going on, 27% see others defending the victim, 20% see others telling the offender to stop, and 19% see others join in on the harassment." http://www.covenanteyes.com...

Cyber bullying is still a "real issue" and it has been for quite some time. Cyber bullying has existed ever since the creation of the internet, and will last forever, as long as the internet still remains. I'm not saying we need to get rid of the internet, I'm saying that cyber bullying isn't going to end, but it will increase, and if you think it isn't a real issue now, when it increases drastically then what will you think? Cyber bullying is a real issue going on in the world everyday and it's pushing more and more people on the edge of suicide and/or self harm.

The victim can't just tell the bully, "Hey you're hurting my feelings, please stop." and expect the bully to just stop. The bully isn't going to just say "Oh, okay I'm sorry if I upset you." It doesn't work that way. There are more and more people opening their eyes everyday and questioning whether they're going to get cyber bullied today or why they even woke up that day. Cyber bullying is a serious problem our nations are experiencing on a daily basis.
jabie

Pro

jabie forfeited this round.
taburkasaurusrex

Con

My opponent has forfeited the last round, so they haven't had a chance to summarize their view point. I will leave my arguments how they are and not add anything new. Thank you for debating with me.
Vote Placed by BoggyB 2 years ago
BoggyB
jabietaburkasaurusrexTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sources to Con and Forfeiture of Pro.