mditty708
heart_of_the_matter

de criminalize marijuana

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

mditty708

Pro

Marijuana should be de-criminalized for a few reasons, There is not one case in history that recorded a death due to only cannabis use, not one! Compared to the hundreds of thousands that die due to tobacco and alcohol!
heart_of_the_matter

Con

I thank my opponent for this debate and look forward to demonstrating why marijuana should remain an illegal drug.
Since my opponent has started the debate off quite informally (ie. no definitions, not a clear resolution, etc...) I will also keep the debate informal and stick to just ideas.

My opponent has started off with a statement that is not accurate! He says:
"There is not one case in histroy that recorded a death due to only cannabis use, not one!"

-->That statement is easily rebutted:
I will start off with an example showing how that the use marijuana can and HAS affected other people's lives...even resulting in death for some people because of it being used!

Amtrak train 94, the Colonial (now part of the Northeast Regional, from Washington, D.C., to Boston), crashed into a set of Conrail locomotives running light, and which had fouled the mainline. Train 94's speed at the time of the collision was estimated at about 108 miles per hour (174 km/h). Fourteen passengers on the Amtrak train were killed, as well as the Amtrak engineer and lounge car attendant.

The Conrail locomotive crew failed to slow down at the signals before Gunpow Interlocking, and it was determined that the accident would have been avoided had they done so. Additionally, they tested positive for marijuana. The engineer served four years in a Maryland prison for his role in the crash. In the aftermath, drug and alcohol procedures for train crews were overhauled by the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), which is charged with rail safety

The fact is that use of marijuana affects how the human body works, in the above cited case it demonstrated the impaired judgment it caused. The safety of society is favored by keeping marijuana illegal.
mditty708

Pro

I like to keep my arguments informal, it makes them more personal and more effective to get the point across.

Ill start of by saying wiki is not a reliable source, where i went to collage we were not aloud to use this source because anyone can write this articals and there is no way in knowing if it compleatly true.

And sure the use of it can be bad in situations like that, but what makes it worse then alchole? There are thousands of crash's due to the use of alcohol and only a hand full of crash's cause from cannabis ALONE, there are so many siuations where the driver was drunk and high and they strictly blamed it on cannabis. And you gave me one example of a a crash due to cannabis, and im sure there is more, but no even close to the ones caused by alcohol.

If alcohol and tobacco were illeagle the amount of people for the legalization of pot would be much smaller, i fight for it because out of tobacco, alcohol and cannabis, cannabis is by far the safest. tobacco is extremly addictive and causes cancer, alcohol kills the liver and causes rage and the effects on a person under the influence of alcohol is 10 times worse then cannabis use. Plus you have to worry about over dosing. I mean not one person has died due to cannabis use, no cancer, no nothing.

And the uses for it are outstanding, fuel, fabric, and paper.
heart_of_the_matter

Con

I thank my opponent for his response and ideas.

Since PRO has only written a small amount (out of 8,000 characters allowed) CON will attempt to address every point.

1. PRO states that wikipedia isn't a good source. I would say that it is a very good source, because each statement is referenced with an original source. The crash of Amtrack 94 is common knowledge and not disputed that it happened at all...so I thought a simple source would be sufficient. Nevertheless CON will provide an additional source: the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com...

2. My opponent freely admits that marijuana can be bad. His quote "And sure the use of it can be bad in situations like that". and also his other quote "and im sure there is more".
My opponent freely admits that marijuana can be dangerous and have devastating results. Logically, it would not make sense to make something legal that can have those disastrous and LETHAL consequences. Laws are made to protect the public.

3. My opponent's main argument consists in COMPARING how bad marijuana is compared to alcohol or tobacco.
The thing is...is that those two substances are SEPARATE ISSUES if they should be legal or not. We, however are debating about marijuana. Which has been admitted by both PRO and CON that it can be bad.

4. But for argument's sake let's compare and analyze the 3 substances. Logically if all 3 are dangerous then all 3 should be criminalized. There is NO arguments presented by PRO for making marijuana (or the other 2 substances LEGAL) therefore Marijuana should remain illegal. [and perhaps the other 2 should be criminalized also, but again...that is a separate issue]

5. I will now also expound on another of my opponent's ideas and his statement:

"i fight for it because out of tobacco, alcohol and cannabis, cannabis is by far the safest"

My opponent is arguing for marijuana to be legal because it is not AS BAD as other things. That is like arguing:
Out of heroine, crack, and PCP...PCP is the safest...therefore PCP should be legal. In this example it can be clearly seen that PCP should still be illegal...even though it is compared with more dangerous things! another idea: It is safer to play Russian Roulette with 1 bullet only, rather than with 2 bullets or 3 bullets...therefore you should play Russian Roulette...but only with one bullet...because it is safer!

6. My opponent tries to also claim that because cannabis doesn't kill people directly that it is safe. Yet as we can clearly see the danger of it, is that it takes people out of control, which causes dangerous situations...which can result
in deaths. This point my opponent freely acknowledges. Therefore the DIRECT link of using the substance and the danger associated with it lead directly to the conclusion that it should be illegal.

7. The positive uses my opponent lists are not worth people dying for. Clearly the value of human life is more important than some fabric or paper.

The resolution is negated.
mditty708

Pro

mditty708 forfeited this round.
heart_of_the_matter

Con

Since my opponent forfeited last round, I extend my arguments.
mditty708

Pro

mditty708 forfeited this round.
mditty708

Pro

mditty708 forfeited this round.
heart_of_the_matter

Con

Well, guess that's it...extend. Vote Con.
Vote Placed by U.n 9 months ago
U.n
mditty708heart_of_the_matterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
mditty708heart_of_the_matterTied