20131159
DemocratofConnecticut

death penalty

DemocratofConnecticut

20131159

Pro

Death penalty should be legal for one main reason. It is financial reason. It is much more expensive to keep guilty people in prisons than to use death penalty. Moreover, money to support prisoners' lives are taken from citizens of the country who work hard every day and pay taxes.
DemocratofConnecticut

Con

I thank my opponent for starting this debate, this is a topic I am quite interested in.

To start off, I will restate my opponent's point(s).

1. More expensive to keep convicts locked up.
2. Citizens must pay taxes to support prisoners' lives.

I will continue by stating my points.

1. Prisoners could be proven innocent. While it does not usually happen, it is still a possibility. If the state kills a person who is truly innocent, but it is not proven in time, then how will that make the state look? In addition, it steals the life of an innocent human being.

2. Cost is no reason to kill someone. Our jails are not your local dog pound. A person does not deserve to die simply because the state cannot afford to keep him locked up. Humans are not dogs, we are very sentient beings, and should have the right to not be killed by the state on the basis of costing too much.

3. The effect on families is devastating. It is one thing to lock someone up, when their family can at least visit them. But if they are killed, then the families will never see them again. It could devastate them, especially the kids, who, growing up with only one parent (or a stepparent, which often may upset the kid) and a dead father, may resort to the criminal life as well. Widows may also commit suicide. However, if the person is in jail, they may at some point get out, and even if they do not, the family at least knows they are there.

Once again, I thank my opponent for the challenge.
20131159

Pro

20131159 forfeited this round.
DemocratofConnecticut

Con

DemocratofConnecticut forfeited this round.
20131159

Pro

20131159 forfeited this round.
DemocratofConnecticut

Con

Well, I can see that my opponent has failed to post for rounds 2&3, so I will state my conclusion:

1. Prisoners could be proven innocent.
2. Cost is no reason to kill someone.
3. This can effect families greatly.

So, I urge you to consider my argument, as money is no reason to allow for government-sanctioned homicide.
Posted by bsh1 3 years ago
bsh1
I agree that the death penalty should be legal, but for completely different reasons. In fact, I actually think it's more costly to kill someone in the U.S. than it is to imprison them for life. Could I accept this challenge and then debate how the death penalty should be justified?
Vote Placed by Chrysippus 3 years ago
Chrysippus
20131159DemocratofConnecticutTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made reasonable arguments, and apparently they were too much for Pro, who threw the debate. Conduct and arguments to Con.