vi_spex
famousdebater

density=compression

famousdebater

vi_spex

Pro

matter is shaped by force acting upon it
famousdebater

Con

Arguments

Density = the degree of compactness of a substance [1].

Compression = the action of compressing or being compressed [2].

Equals (=) = be the same as [3].

The degree of compactness of a substance is a measurment of how compact something is. The degree by which a substance is compacted is not the same as the actions of compressing.

In essense, compression is what allows you to measure density but just because density is neccessitated by compression (or compaction), this doesn't make them equal, it simply makes the former dependant on the latter.

Density and compression often appear together due to this neccessitation and we can show that they are different factors by this illustrated graph as an example:

As you can see, the density and compression are both on different axis whilst the correlation is being measurred. No correlation would be found if they were both the same thing because the match up would not produce fluctuating points as the graph shows [4].

Rebuttals

My opponent is correct however this does not affirm. If matter is shaped by a force acting upon it, then we can call the force compression or in this case c. We will refer to density as d and x as the amount of compression. y will equal "how" dense it is.

yc = xd
c/x = d/y
c= xd/y

As you can see both c and d are different factors and will ultimately have different numbers (x and y) which demonstrates their dependance / neccessitation on eachother. This does NOT, however, prove them to be equal.

[1] https://www.google.co.uk...;
[2] https://www.google.co.uk...;
[3] https://www.google.co.uk...;
[4] http://www.scielo.cl...;
vi_spex

Pro

you cant have a compacted substance without it being compressed... it takes compressing

compressed=compression+density

how do you compress something without it becomming more dense?

=(is)
+(and)
famousdebater

Con

Counter Rebuttals

It is true that you cannot have a compacted substance without it being compressed however I never spoke against this claim.

My opponent concedes when he says the following:

"compressed=compression+density" [1]

Whilst, it isn't necessarily true it is enough to negate on alone. My opponent acknowledges that density and compression are different factors that make up a separate conclusion. If they are different factors then they cannot be equal. This is enough to vote Con on alone.

If my opponent wishes to change the definition of equals (=) to 'is' then this is fine. Plus (+) can also be referred to as and as my opponent appears to have requested or stated to explain his concession formula.

[1] http://www.debate.org...;
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: TheResistance// Mod action: Removed<

6 points to Con (S&G, Arguments, Sources). Reasons for voting decision: Con's contentions were dropped. Pro didn't really use any trying. Thus, I must vote Con.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) The voter doesn't explain S&G or sources. (2) The voter doesn't sufficiently explain arguments. Even if Pro dropped all of Con's contentions, the voter has to explain why those contentions were sufficiently strong to win the debate.
************************************************************************
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
compressed=compression+density

density=compression=mass+force

i agree ;)
Posted by snkcake666 1 year ago
snkcake666
Actually, I managed to confuse myself twice there. Scientifically, they would be defined as the same. They both can follow the same formula essentially- D=m/v. Compression follows the same logic of 'the amount of matter within a certain volume of space'. I apologize about that; I momentarily misinterpreted the mass portion of the formula, which is quite ironic considering my major.

This could actually be set up into a formula:
Compression = mass/volume. Matter in a certain space.
Density= mass/volume. Also matter in a certain space. This quite literally confirms their equivalence. However, I will state that contender provided a more adequate debate- even if I do not agree.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
hm, chicken+egg=1
chicken+egg+hatch=2
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
there is no punch without a puncher

human beings are good at punching

chicken=egg+hatch

chicken dosnt have a heart without an egg

7=1+6=4+3
Posted by famousdebater 1 year ago
famousdebater
That's a good example actually. Is the puncher the same as the punch? No. If I am the puncher does that make me no longer a human being? Am I reduced to a punch?

On a side note, the chicken isn't the egg. Since they both separate themselves at one point. The chicken eventually gains consciousness (to some extent), the egg does not. The chicken has a heart, the egg does not. How can something with different properties be the same as something else with different properties? That's like saying that 1 = 7 because you can multiply 1 by 7 to make 7. Whilst, 7 may be produced from many 1s this doesn't mean that 7 is 1.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
i am the puncher, and the punch, the chicken is the egg
Posted by famousdebater 1 year ago
famousdebater
Yes. But they are (again), not the same thing which is what you were advocating in this debate.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
logic is 1 by necessety of motion, cause and effect
Posted by famousdebater 1 year ago
famousdebater
" If matter is shaped by a force acting upon it, then we can call the force compression or in this case c. We will refer to density as d and x as the amount of compression. y will equal "how" dense it is.

yc = xd
c/x = d/y
c= xd/y

As you can see both c and d are different factors and will ultimately have different numbers (x and y) which demonstrates their dependance / neccessitation on eachother. This does NOT, however, prove them to be equal. "
Vote Placed by Balacafa 1 year ago
Balacafa
vi_spexfamousdebaterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro never used any capitalization which made it difficult to read and understand where sentences ended and where new sentences began. This distorted his arguments and therefore made his arguments increasingly distorted and unclear.