bellabarrett
Endy

diabetes and cancer researchers should invest more in saving people

bellabarrett

Pro

i have diabetes and this is a topic i happen to have a VERY strong opinion on this. i think that diabetics and people with cancer should be able to live their life happy and healthy. people should invest more money for finding a cure for both diseases
Endy

Con

I accept! Please include in your opening argument how you're defining 'people' (the researchers themselves, pharmaceutical companies, the government, everyone, etc), so we're on the same page with this.

I look forward to the interesting debate!
bellabarrett

Pro

bellabarrett forfeited this round.
Endy

Con

Well, it appears as though my opponent is shy with his/her strong opinions, much to my dismay. I would suggest that the debate is over on the grounds of Pro's forfeit, but I will state one quick argument in case my opponent should return swinging:

From a benevolent, altruistic perspective, everything should be funded more. I certainly wish that less money was funneled into the military and more into education and health research, but that is an aside. The focus here is on efficiency, and spending what we have in the right places.

There are many ways I can interpret Pro's initial statements about the debate: there is certainly no tenable position to be found in the arguments that researchers should self-fund out-of-pocket, or each person in the world has a moral obligation to go up to a scientist and hand him a $10 bill, so I will interpret 'people' to mean the government. From there, we need to look at the distribution of money as it is, into health research.

According to sources 1 and 2, respectively, spending on diabetes in the US alone in 2010 was estimated at $1.9 billion, and cancer research in the US averages $4.9 billion per year. In my third source (for anyone unfamiliar with NCBI, they're great- very reputable and an excellent resource if you ever need one for a paper, etc) Dr. Carlos Morel makes the claim that the most underfunded area of research and treatment is in fact that of infectious and/or parasitic diseases.

With that in mind, I would submit that many health ailments (obesity comes to mind) have a larger ratio of impact on society to funding, relative to both cancer and diabetes.

I look forward to Pro's response, should they provide one, and thank voters in advance for their time.
bellabarrett

Pro

bellabarrett forfeited this round.
Endy

Con

The sources I forgot to actually list at the end of my last argument:

[1] https://www.diabeteshealth.com...
[2] http://www.cancer.gov...
[3] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

On a different note, I would propose 5 rounds is simply too many rounds for a silent debate.
bellabarrett

Pro

bellabarrett forfeited this round.
Endy

Con

Not a super interesting debate, sadly!
bellabarrett

Pro

bellabarrett forfeited this round.
Endy

Con

In light of numerous forfeitures, I hope this isn't too hard a debate to take sides on! Thanks in advance to all voters for their time.

Cheers!
Posted by Endy 2 years ago
Endy
I made the rookie mistake of forgetting to actually link my sources at the end, and so will include them in my next argument!
Posted by james3hayes 2 years ago
james3hayes
Are you arguing that more money should be spent in developing a cure rather than in research or that more money needs to be put towards the fight against both diseases generally?
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
Are you debating the question "cancer researchers should invest more" or the question in the description "people". Are you asking if government should invest more? Pharmaceuticals should invest more?