us
The_Jack_Of_Blades

did Jesus exist

us

Pro

i am for the side that Jesus exists.
The_Jack_Of_Blades

Con

Challenge accepted.
us

Pro

Jesus exists and this is whyAnd widespread consensus among historians. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Archaeology is a social science. It is part of the discipline of anthropology. Science is not the only form of knowledge on earth.

The existence of Jesus of Nazareth is a pretty basic point. Moreover, the notion of "scientific evidence" for a historical figure is bizarre. Has no one here ever studied history? Did Plato exist? Augustus Cesar? There is no scientific evidence for their lives, nor of the vast majority of historical figures. That is not what the discipline of history is. Evidence is established primarily through written accounts.

The existence of the man is a separate point from whether he is divine. It is not necessary to deny basic facts to not accept the notion of Jesus as the son of God.
The_Jack_Of_Blades

Con

The_Jack_Of_Blades forfeited this round.
us

Pro

us forfeited this round.
The_Jack_Of_Blades

Con

us

Pro

us forfeited this round.
The_Jack_Of_Blades

Con

us

Pro

us forfeited this round.
The_Jack_Of_Blades

Con

Posted by Finalfan 2 years ago
Finalfan
I have never felt the need to argue whether Jesus exists or not. That is of no consequence! My concern is that people believe Jesus was anything more than a philosopher and human rights activist. If he did not exist, oh well, no skin off my back. But if he did exist as Christians believe(Magical) He is the catalyst for infinite human torture and would be considered a devil. That does not fit at all with the story of Jesus. So I will stick with the argument that Jesus could have existed but that does not open the door for supernatural nonsense!
Posted by The_Jack_Of_Blades 2 years ago
The_Jack_Of_Blades
I love how there are all these people claiming that nobody even argues that Jesus never existed, and that most historians this Jesus was an actual person etc.

notice how these claims offer no source data or shred of evidence. they are just arguments from authority, and erroneous ones at that. the fact of the matter is that outside of the bible there is almost no evidence to suggest a historical Jesus existed, and any evidence we do find is in stark contrast to the bible and probably refers to one of the dozens of other "messiahs" that were popping up at the time

If yo are going to make a claim like "most historians think Jesus was a real person" you could at least offer a source or something.

the thing you have to realize is that the person that makes the claim "Jesus was a real person" has the entire burden of proof. I am simply saying that I reject that claim until you provide evidence. It is not my obligation to prove that Jesus didn't exist. that would be impossible, that would be like proving unicorns don't exist.

the burden of proof is on the person making the claim, not the person rejecting it.
Posted by paul_g 2 years ago
paul_g
Regardless of religion most Historians believe Jesus did exist as a historical person; the real debate is whether or not he did what the Bible claims he did.
The_Jack_Of_Blades
After reviewing my opponents previous debates on similar topics I feel confident that this debate will be over quickly and painlessly.

In fact I am not sure if my opponent takes this topic very seriously at all, but we shall see.
Posted by ChrisF 2 years ago
ChrisF
Even non-Christians believe that Jesus existed. In fact, my 6th grade ancient history textbook talked about him (not in a religious sense though, only things that are believed to be historical.)

I doubt people will debate you on this
Posted by Gold 2 years ago
Gold
The title states "did Jesus exist", but you state that you are on the side that "Jesus exists".

Which one are you wanting to debate about?
Posted by Artur 2 years ago
Artur
I very doubt that somebody will debate this.

no matter sources{such as gospels} reliable or not, they are arguements for existence of Jesus while con hardly cant prove that he didnt exist because nonexistence of something is almost impossible. all con can do is to refute your arguements which support the existence of Jesus.