tango7
Braden126

difference between a Halloween party & harvest festival @ a church

tango7

Con

Some churches have incorporated what are known as pagan traditions into their places of worship. These traditions include the celebration of Halloween. In churches around the the US, many of them are taking the name "Halloween" and substituting "Harvest Festival". Does changing the name make it right?
Braden126

Pro

I don't think that this is really wrong. It is technically still fall "time of the harvest". I don't think its wrong for kids to dress up and go to church and get candy and celebrate on a national holiday. Of course every church is different so what they do my church may not be what they do at the church(s) your referencing to. I do know that a lot of churches set restrictions, so people aren't going dressed as scary and gory as other people might. It's almost like saying that people who are indian shouldn't celebrate thanksgiving. I think that if people want to celebrate on a holiday they will do it no matter what. I know at our church they celebrate there just because its a convenient place in the middle of town. All in all i don't think its really wrong. The people that do think its wrong are the people that don't come. Since there is often a big turn out i don't think there is really any problem with it.
tango7

Con

Yes, I understand restrictions, but, you can honestly tell me that all the restrictions are obeyed? I don't think the issue is restrictions. The issue that I am referring to is how a "pagan tradition" can be openly accepted in what is to be a place of worship. "Halloween" has been detected that its origins are from Roman feast of Pomona, the goddess of fruits and seeds, or in the festival of the dead called Parentalia, making this a celebration to another God. This has nothing to do with a race or heritage, and it's not like saying "Indian people should not celebrate thanksgiving". Indians are not dressing up like their ancestors and hunting turkey or gathering fruits and vegetables, and white families are not dressing up like pilgrims doing the same. It's about what is considered holy and unholy. If churches are to be places of worship, and where people come to congregate in God's presence, then why allow that what is not holy practices into a church. No, I am not saying a sinner can not enter a church, all sinners are welcome, but, to have those that are considering themselves of the faith and partake of sinful actions in a church makes it not right. If Jesus did not have a problem with these types of actions then he would not have gotten mad when he came to the temple and saw people buying, selling, and trading. That's why he grabbed a rope and started chasing those people out saying " Take these things hence, make my Father's house an house of merchandise".
Community outreach is good, and a big turn out is good, but, do you have the same turn out every service day or just on special occasions?
Braden126

Pro

Braden126 forfeited this round.
tango7

Con

I hope my opponent is well, and hope the only reason why he forfieted the second round was because the time expired. I did enjoy reading his opinion and hope that he will respond to my round two statement.
Braden126

Pro

Braden126 forfeited this round.
Posted by dappleshade 2 years ago
dappleshade
Halloween, formerly - >All Hallow's Eve -> Samhain, Celtic festival of the dead.

Harvest Festival, formerly - > Lammas, Celtic festival of the wheat harvest.

I'd take up this debate if I knew what it was you were saying. Is it that the use of 'Harvest Festival' is a dissociation with the All Hallow's Eve that used to be more Christian or that the use of Harvest Festival is a misnomer since it's not really the harvest time of year?
Posted by drafterman 2 years ago
drafterman
Well, to be fair. Christmas and Easter are also heavily steeped in Pagan tradition. I'm not sure what is being asked here. What is the basis for determining wheter it's right or wrong?
Posted by brian_eggleston 2 years ago
brian_eggleston
Halloween (All Hallows Eve) is a pre-Christian celebration whereas Harvest Festival is merely associated with the church but has no religious foundation.