The Instigator
124275
Pro (for)
Losing
0 Points
The Contender
rhino033
Con (against)
Winning
4 Points

do Americans live beyond their meens.

Do you like this debate?NoYes+1
Add this debate to Google Add this debate to Delicious Add this debate to FaceBook Add this debate to Digg  
Post Voting Period
The voting period for this debate has ended.
after 2 votes the winner is...
rhino033
Voting Style: Open Point System: 7 Point
Started: 3/14/2015 Category: Miscellaneous
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Post Voting Period
Viewed: 769 times Debate No: 71691
Debate Rounds (1)
Comments (1)
Votes (2)

 

124275

Pro

Of course Americans live beyond their meens because they use so much of their resources. Also, look at their national debt, it is so high that the possibility of paying it off within 30 years is unthinkable and it's still rising fast. As well as there debt their food intake is very unsustainable as meet is one of them main parts of the average Americans diat. In my opinion American is no longer there country that it used to be as many of them large companies who imploded people are now based in China. This means that American has a smaller capacity to manufacture goods. Because of this America imports more than it exports which isn't good economically.
rhino033

Con

Perhaps some of the populace lives beyond their means, but in The Simple Dollar the average American family's expenses were broken down. With this it is clear that only 12% of the income is spent on "non-essentials" such as food away from home, entertainment, reading, and etc. [1] This leaves 88% of the income spent solely on "essential items". How can one live beyond their means when they mostly spend their money on essential stuff.

References:
Hamm, Trent. "How the Average American Family Spends Their Income - And How to Trim It - The Simple Dollar." The Simple Dollar. The Simple Dollar, 4 Jan. 2010. Web. 15 Mar. 2015. .
Debate Round No. 1
1 comment has been posted on this debate.
Posted by Toxifrost 1 year ago
Toxifrost
Oh dear the grammar.... I just got AIDS from this debate.
Posted by Toxifrost 1 year ago
Toxifrost
Oh dear the grammar.... I just got AIDS from this debate.
2 votes have been placed for this debate. Showing 1 through 2 records.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Blade-of-Truth
124275rhino033Tied
Agreed with before the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Agreed with after the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Who had better conduct:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:-Vote Checkmark-1 point
Made more convincing arguments:--Vote Checkmark3 points
Used the most reliable sources:-Vote Checkmark-2 points
Total points awarded:03 
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Tie. Both had proper conduct throughout this debate. S&G - Con. Pro had several spelling and grammatical errors in his round. Whereas Con had no such errors. I would highly recommend to Pro that he utilize the "spell check" feature this website provides. It's located right above the "review/post argument" button and is very helpful for catching any spelling errors that might have happened. Arguments - Tie. Neither really gave a substantial argument. Pro relied heavily on random claims that all lacked proof. On the flip side, Con never really presented an argument, but rather a question based on statistics. What Pro should have done was present some supporting evidence for his claims, whereas Con should have turned his stats into evidence for an argument, rather than relying on the stats alone. For these reasons, arguments is tied. Sources - Con. Con was the only one to utilize a source for his stats, whereas Pro lacked sources completely.
Vote Placed by Beginner 1 year ago
Beginner
124275rhino033Tied
Agreed with before the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Agreed with after the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Who had better conduct:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:-Vote Checkmark-1 point
Made more convincing arguments:--Vote Checkmark3 points
Used the most reliable sources:--Vote Checkmark2 points
Total points awarded:01 
Reasons for voting decision: 124275 makes more than several grammatical errors whereas rhino's grammar sits relatively clean in comparison. Rhino's case is that spending on essentials cannot qualify as spending beyond means, which is completely nonsensical. Both sides resort to assertions which, without evidence, means very little to a reader like me.