do any violent games make humans violent in real life?

Started: 2/26/2015 Category: Games

violence, especially with teens, has gone down 91.1%, just as violent video games have who play violent games are less likely to be bullied or be a bully.100 percent people who murder/commit violence drink water. Does water make people more violent? NO! was violence the reason for the Sandy Hook School Shooting? NOPE. He had mental issues and shot his mother, lots of kids and teachers, and himself., I blame it on the mom for having a gun in the reach of a mentally ill person in that way.some mental ill people can handle guns,others can't. I have some mental illnesses and I can handle guns just fine.

research from state that "Violent juvenile crime in the United States has been declining as violent video game popularity has increased. The arrest rate for juvenile murders has fallen 71.9% between 1995 and 2008. The arrest rate for all juvenile violent crimes has declined 49.3%. In this same period, video game sales have more than quadrupled."

A causal link between violent video games and violent behavior has not been proved. Many studies suffer from design flaws and use unreliable measures of violence and aggression such as noise blast tests. Thoughts about aggression have been confused with aggressive behavior, and there is a lack of studies that follow children over long periods of time.

A 2004 US Secret Service reviewof previous school-based attacks found that one-eighth of attackers exhibited an interest in violent video games, less than the rate of interest attackers showed in violent movies, books, and violence in their own writings. The report did not find a relationship between playing violent video games and school shootings.

Playing violent video games reduces violence in adolescent boys and girls by serving as a substitute for many violent acts. Playing violent video games allows adolescent boys and girls to express aggression and establish status in the peer group without causing physical harm.

Video game players understand they are playing a game. Their ability to distinguish between fantasy and reality prevents them from emulating video game violence in real life.

if you look over the studies of how violent video games make people act, it almost always comes out saying violent games do not make people violent.being a big gamer myself of violent games, i am not violent at all and i am 14, many say that the ages of 12-18 are more prone to being violent which is not the case. most murderers drink water, does that mean water makes people a murderer, NO! it is also shown that most murderers played violent games like GTA, COD, or halo, that does not mean it made them violent. they probable had some mental problem. and a research shows that homicides decrease in the following months of releases of M-rated games.

I will be debating as Pro to prove video games do indeed make people more violent. However, the percentage of people video games do impact, vary from person to person, mostly from those whom can't tell the game world, from reality. Now take in mind my fellows that this impact can go from reenacting to downright delusional effects. I will be arguing how video games do indeed cause people to act out in violence, or even just do what they do as video games as the source.

One case would be whom is known by the name of Zachary Burgess (his full story can be found here: , but I'll only be posting a little, than the copy and paste my opponent has presented.) In this story Zachary Burgress was walking in a bar parking lot. He took a stole a truck, forcibly held a woman against her will (though, she seemed unharmed and managed to escape), and on top of that rammed cars. Only to as he put it, apparently in Zachary's own words. "he wanted to see what it was to be a Grand Theft Auto individual, what it was like." That in itself is an act of violence, but on top of that a lot of other problems, just because of Grand Theft Auto. Now I will delve into a more...deadly story.

Here we look at the story of, Devin Moore. Seems like a typical here we see another story of the game. "Grand Theft Auto" but also child abuse lead him on a murder spree. After attempting to steal a car, (a decision or rather a reenactment later to be found out from the game GTA) got taken to police headquarters. Now, you might think the basic book him, and be done right? Wrong! He took out two cops, killed a dispatcher, and stole a cop car. Now this man managed to allude law enforcement for a long time, take note, he was armed and dangerous. Well one day some cop recognized him. You would think he just gave up? Wrong again. Devin pulled over, and shot at the cops multiple times, until he ran out of ammunition. To which he got down on his knees yelling at the cops to "Shoot me!" (Cops in GTA are known to just shoot you dead, or knock you down with a baton upon arresting you) That was what he thought would happen, and as he was taken he said a very disturbing statement. "Life is like a video games; we all have to die sometime." Now here is where you think "Oh, he couldn't tell the difference between reality, etc" Wrong! Devin Moore even admitted what he did was wrong, and he knew it was. But, he did it anyway. Ref:

I will give my opponent time to think on these. I'd have put more but my character space is no longer allowing me I have run out.

darkhawkfrost forfeited this round.

I would post more but it appears my opponent has not given a refute. From the current perspective of it, it seems even my opponent slightly agrees with me, or they are currently biding their research. One way or the other, it was fun debating with you. I hope to see something more.

The reason I have not been posting is because I have been caught up in my school work.

In fact. I am one who has played violent since I was 8 and I am a non-violent girl. sure, I can get angered easily but is not because of the games I play. The anger I get has been in my blood for many years. I am a perfectly normal non-violent girl who has never thought of abuse of violence to others. I do think of violence to myself many of times but never towards anyone else besides myself.

it is all in stereotyping the games. people think that just because a game gets a M rate then they think that it is bad. however, this is not the case. sure the game is very violent but the percent of people who become subjected to the violence is 2% of all that play the game.

all in all, just because a game is violent does not mean anyone(child or adult) will be violent after playing the game.

Tsk...Tsk...Tsk. You haven't questioned a single thing I've said. But, I'll say this. Do video games make people violent? Yes, true it depends on the person, and possible background stories, as video games are a cause for violence. Do they influence? Yes, but that does not mean that all people act on this, I'm not debating that video games make everyone angry, as you are. I'm arguing that they do indeed cause violence within humans.

Now taking a look at your argument I know nothing about you. So, you may be right, it could just be in your blood. But, we do not know if games have influenced your anger, or what games you've played. Such is gamer rage (which I don't nearly understand.) As myself have never gotten violent due to a game as well. (Albeit I'm a very passive person) But, we aren't here to talk about us, saying that only two percent of people who play a specific game get violent is foolishness. We do not know how much get affected. But, you in yourself just admitted video games make people violent. Making all your arguments to this point practically null.

As to your last statement, is that really the case? Perhaps, for a few people, but even a child shot his grandmother: IF we look at this story, apparently he had just got done playing a 'video game' before doing this. Did this influence him? Possibly. Because, not many eight year olds surely just get up, grab a gun, and decide to shoot someone randomly without some sort of influence.

This whole point, you have offered nothing concrete in your arguments. Only stating that it's impossible, then contradicting yourself by saying people do indeed can be lead to violence from video games. Now video games can't make anyone do anything. It can't shove a gun, into someones hands, and force them to kill someone. But, it can be the reason why, reenactments, fun, unable to tell reality from fantasy. If you see these points, they all lead to video games in one way, or another.

Ratings on a game do not mean anything, any video game could make someone violent. We know that video games influence people into violence, or sometimes are the sole reason, to get more time to play, etc. But, we do not know what goes through that persons head. Thus, you cannot rightfully say that only 2% of a games player base makes them violent. Which is why, you have not seen me say so, and so percent of gamers are violent due to video games.

darkhawkfrost forfeited this round.

I shall wait until my opponent here, offers another rebuttal. As like their last post, I will only assume school caught up with them.

darkhawkfrost forfeited this round.

I'd like to thank my opponent for a nice debate, it was fun for my first one. It seems my opponent has nothing left to add, and neither do I. All I can say is, it was a lovely debate ^^.
Posted by Yilltheteam 1 year ago
I would like to take part
Posted by Aewing 1 year ago
For the heck of it. I will be taking this on as my first debate ^^. I look forward to it.
Posted by Nick11 1 year ago
The case presented here is highly dubious.

The opening claim in particular, that violence among teens has decreased 91.1%, is highly suspect. We are not told what the reference point for the drop is (i.e. what years this is measuring) nor is a source provided. For such an outrageous claim a source is most definitely required.

In fact, though a number of studies are claimed only one link is ever provided. This link claims that arrests for juveniles has decreased for violent crime and especially for murders between 1995 and 2008. A decrease in arrests does not necessarily mean a decrease in crimes committed though"more information is definitely needed.

It also needs to be compared with the arrest rate amongst the general population. If arrests of video game players went down 10% while all arrests are down 20% then video game players still represent a more violent subset of the population despite a drop in violence.

It is also claimed that the drop in arrests coincides with a four-fold increase in video game sales. The question though is the effects of violent video games, not video games in general. So unless anybody started out believing playing Candy Crush on your phone was going to cause violent crime this point proves nothing.

The attempt to draw an analogy by saying that most murderers drink water is patently absurd for reasons that are so obvious it would be an embarrassment to need them explained and only serves to discredit the poster.

I do not intend to take up this debate as I do not agree with the resolution that video games do cause violence, but the case that has been presented here is ridiculously weak.
Posted by DeathsDespair15 1 year ago
To be fair the guy behind Sandy Hook was able to handle a gun pretty well... He just used it for the wrong purpose. I'm also pretty sure that this was just copied and pasted anyway.
Posted by TheSymbiote 1 year ago
Nice copy and paste job
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture