Arezu
Happyreclusive

do i really need to further my education in order to become a successful scientist?

Arezu

Pro

Let me make my question a little bit clear.
I have bachelor of science in biology and since I’ve always been interested in biology, especially botany, these days I’m thinking about whether I further my education or not; and I’m not sure either is better for me to study abroad or in my own country. By the way it doesn’t matter that much.
The most important think that concerns me these days is that, whether it is enough to just further my education to be successful or I need something much more essential.
The years which I was going to university, I always thought something is wrong with my study. You know, I was sure I need something more practical, it wasn’t enough for me to just know about physiology, systematic,… of plants!
I’m concerned that furthering education might mean studying much more theories about different creatures for more 2years.
What am I supposed to do to become a real successful botanist?
Happyreclusive

Con

I assume this is not a real debate.

I taught university students for 25 years, so I have some experience with the matter you question. First, listen to NO ONE who is unconnected with the industry where you want to work. Parents, friends and professors all claim to know what you should do to be successful. They are right only in rare cases. The problem is that you don't know who is right and who is not.

The answer is obvious, once I mention it. Ask people who work where you want to work. Find out how much education they have, what universities they attended, what experiences helped them get where they wanted to be. Offer to take them to lunch to talk about their work and how they got to be where they are. (Most people love talking about themselves and their work. Usually, they end up buying you lunch.)

Be completely frank discussing your goals and interests. There might be times when you have to confess that you want to use a job as a step to something else. Tell them where you have been successful in your studies, e.g., "I can identify 1,000 plants, but I'm not good with math." (Often universities requires courses that are not used in the real world. You might, "I had to take X number of math courses, in your job how much math do you use?)

Be sure that no one is threatened by your questions, i.e., no one should think you're after his job. If you get a chance to chat with a "decision maker" take it and try to build a case for hiring you in the future. (By "decision maker" I mean those people who actually do the hiring.)

The key is to ignore advice from people who are unrelated to the field you want to enter. Talk to as many people as you can who are doing what you want to do. Trust me, they have the answers and most of them are dying to talk to you about themselves and their work.
Arezu

Pro

In advance I should tell u that I found what u wrote really useful. I might have known about something u just mentioned but I also needed someone to give me some good reasons about which way is the best one.
But I should also add, there is still one thing that concerns me, u told me it’s better for me to talked with some ones who are doing the same thing that I’m interested in; but unfortunately since I’m not that much aware of different jobs opportunity that both suit me and are related to my major, it would be difficult for me to find right people to talk with.
Happyreclusive

Con

Happyreclusive forfeited this round.
Arezu

Pro

Arezu forfeited this round.
Happyreclusive

Con

Happyreclusive forfeited this round.